Peter's Sexy HUD

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Peter's Sexy HUD

Post by NightFright »

Doom Alpha/Delta or whatever you want to call it is a mod. This is about what you can do with graphics from iwads. Anything exceeding the scope of that is material for a separate project and does not belong here.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.32 released

Post by NightFright »

And one more time I am tweaking the level stats. The standard timer provided by DrawString looks a bit blocky with always showing six digits, while most of the time you won't need the hours display (since you finish many maps much sooner usually). Therefore I programmed a timer on my own which shows the hours only when needed, saving quite a few pixels of screen space. Since SBARINFO doesn't provide proper if/else conditions I needed to work around this issue. For those who are interested: The player basically receives a dummy item after one hour of playtime within a level, and based on that, the second colon is drawn and minutes have two digits in general. It was a bit tricky to pull off, but the final result is pleasing - especially since I was able to fix the gaps between the colons with this method, saving another 2-4 pixels of width.

Another important change is that the global variables in my ACS script (for the level stats) used to be numbered from 1 to 9, which is quite common in other mods (e.g. Ultimate Simplicity which uses 1 for the episode end function). Therefore, I changed this to 51-59, which should ideally completely eliminate such potential conflicts.

CHANGELOG v4.32 (OCT 19, 2018)
[ALL] Level stats: Hours now only shown when needed
[ALL] Level stats: Countdown numbers increased from 4 digits to 5 (capped at 99.999)
[ALL] Level stats: Global variables changed from 1-9 to 51-59 (avoids conflicts with scripts from other mods)

Attachments
fullscrn_huds.pk3
Fullscreen Status Bars (v4.32)
(131.46 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.4 released

Post by NightFright »

While playing "Back to Saturn X Episode 2", I noticed that very long map titles will get cut off in the automap underneath the split status bar panels (at least with my scaling, which is 3). Therefore, I decided to cut the mugshot and ammo counters from the automap to gain more space. You'll still see the most vital info about your stats (ammo, health, armor, keys) which should be enough. This change only affects the automap - you would still see mugshots and ammo counters elsewhere.

CHANGELOG v4.4 (OCT 22, 2018)
[ALL] Level stats: Code optimization
[DOOM/CHEX] Automap: Mugshot and ammo counters removed (to gain more space for map title)

New automap status bar (w/o mugshot and ammo counters):
Spoiler:
Attachments
fullscrn_huds.pk3
Fullscreen Status Bars (v4.4)
(128.15 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Last edited by NightFright on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.5 released

Post by NightFright »

Considering all the customization options in the mod, there was one thing that was still missing: Adjustable transparency. And here it is! You can now choose from three different transparency levels: "Low" (20%), "Medium" (40%) and "High" (60%). If you want to have the same amount of transparency as I had preset in earlier versions, just use the medium setting (alpha 0.6).
Also, the original status bar look from DTD's first version has been restored, making only the actual status bar background transparent and nothing else (numbers, mugshot, keys etc. remain unchanged).

Comparisons: Doom statusbar with low, medium and high transparency
Spoiler:
CHANGELOG v4.5 (OCT 24, 2018)
[ALL] Menu: Can now choose between 3 degrees of transparency
[ALL] Transparency: Only background images are affected by transparency (mugshot, numbers and keys stay opaque)
[HERETIC] Minor transparency tuning
[HEXEN] Mana bars: Improved transparency
Attachments
fullscrn_huds.pk3
Fullscreen Status Bars (v4.5)
(121.26 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.6 released

Post by NightFright »

And one more update! Biggest changes are Boom color support for Heretic and Hexen (finally - no idea why I didn't do this right away) plus removing the Gargoyles in Hexen split mode - this saves 37 pixels on each side which isn't little! On top of that, I removed the annoying centered inventory window which looked just wrong and felt like it didn't belong there. Your currently chosen Hexen inventory item is now shown on top of the right status bar panel in split mode where it is much less disturbing.
Since it seemed overdone, I have also gone back to the "old" time display before v4.32 because it was too much effort for too little to gain. A pure SBARINFO solution is fully sufficient for this, no need for extra scripting or DECORATE just to calculate and show time.

CHANGELOG v4.6 (NOV 2, 2018):
[ALL] Level stats: Time display reverted to pre-4.32 state (SBARINFO solution instead of ACS)
[ALL] ACS: Minor code optimizations for countdown calculation
[HERETIC/HEXEN] Boom colors now available
[HERETIC/HEXEN] Menu: Automap background option removed
[HEXEN] Split version: Gargoyles and center panel graphics removed
[HEXEN] Split version: Selected inventory item moved from bottom center to bottom right
[HEXEN] Automap: Gargoyles removed

Previews of Heretic/Hexen status bars with Boom colors, new Hexen split mode and automap:
Spoiler:
Attachments
fullscrn_huds.pk3
Fullscreen Status Bars (v4.6)
(115.16 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Thanks for maintaining this, NightFright. I've always preferred a more classic aesthetic, so this is a nice treat with some neat options to choose from. The Boom colors and HUD splitting are especially nice additions.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 4.61 released

Post by NightFright »

After a while of testing, I convinced myself to make another release, this time to address the automap. Using a split version in Doom seemed to be a good idea at first, but after checking out a couple of custom wads (like REKKR or Back to Saturn X), I realized that user-made status bars often do NOT use the same separation measures of health/ammo/armor/etc sections as the original id graphics. Therefore, one would have to write small texture patches for those wads to make it look right - which would go against the idea of this project.

Because of this, I have decided to remove any status bar graphics from the automaps in Doom, Chex and Heretic completely. This way you gain the maximum amount of screen space to view as much of the map as possible, and since you would only see the exact same stats on the automap as you would otherwise, there's no point of having them there. This is different for Hexen, though (where you see your inventory with keys and armor pieces), which is why I didn't change anything for that specific game.

CHANGELOG v4.61 (DEC 13, 2018):
[DOOM/CHEX/HERETIC] Automap: Removed status bar completely

Bonus downloads:
Statusbar fixes for specific PWADs
Widescreen/fullscreen fixes for Hexen weapons
Attachments
fullscrn_huds.pk3
Fullscreen Status Bars (v4.61)
(109.85 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Last edited by NightFright on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

I can't believe I missed all of this. I was trying to do something similar to split HUD when I was making a custom HUD for Faspons. And here it is, already done by someone who knows his stuff. Brilliant! Thank you NightFright!

Edit: And I can even keep it in my autoload without breaking custom HUDs from other mods! Although the parts of the FHUD don't match the statusbar in some WADs like Memento Mori 2 for example. Healt/Armor precent symbols and ARMS to be precise.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

The split version basically comes as a "hit or miss" approach. When mod creators stick to the measures of the original status bar, it works fine. Otherwise it'll miss a few pixels on each side or will have a few too many, looking "wrong". I added the possibility to manually correct such inaccuracies with small texture patches, but they would need to be made for each affected mod separately. This is the downside of the splitting method in general. Dimensions of numbers, percentage signs etc. sometimes just change and require alignment adjustments.

That's why I removed the split status bars on automaps in the latest version. If you stick to the normal (non-split) status bar, you have at least one mode that will always work with everything.

What I like most about the mod is the optional Boom color mode. It's something that many people regularly ask for, and here it's available at any time in any pwad. There are rare cases like Back to Saturn X where you have to change/remove the NOTRANSLATION part in FONTDEFS or otherwise sbar numbers will look weird, but most of the time it'll look right w/o any manual adjustments needed.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

I wasn't talking about the split version though.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

PWAD fixes for Fullscreen Status Bar mod

Post by NightFright »

It's true that some custom status bars cause issues even in non-split mode. This is due to some sbarinfo-specific stuff that couldn't be avoided, e.g. using DrawString instead of DrawImage for the percentage signs - otherwise color coding for Boom mode wouldn't have been possible without providing custom graphics for each and every pwad that doesn't use standard Doom graphics. Unfortunately, in some cases this messes a bit with alignment, even if usually just by 1-2 pixels. In the case of MM2, the STARMS patch is smaller than the original, compensated by image offsets in the wad. However, since status bar graphics are used to compose new textures in this mod, such offsets break preset alignments and need to be manually readjusted.

In this Dropbox folder, I will collect patches for PWADs that don't look proper "out of the box" with the Fullscreen Status Bar mod.

Fullscreen Status Bar patches for PWADs
[To be loaded AFTER the corresponding PWAD and the Fullscreen Status Bar mod]

CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
- Alien Vendetta (av_fshfix.wad): STBAR edit to fix split version
- Back to Saturn X Ep.1 (btsx_e1fshfix.wad): STYSNUM transparency fix; FONTDEFS fix for Boom colors; alignment fixes for split version
- Back to Saturn X Ep.2 (btsx_e2fshfix.wad): STYSNUM transparency fix; FONTDEFS fix for Boom colors; alignment fixes for split version
- Epic 2 (epic2_fshfix.wad): Alignment fixes for split version
- Eviternity (eviternity_fshfix.wad): Alignment fixes for split version
- Memento Mori 2 (mm2_fshfix.wad): STYSNUM transparency fix; various alignment fixes (STARMS, split version, "%" signs)
- Pirate Doom! (pirates_fshfix.wad): SBARINFO + TEXTURES adjustments for widescreen status bar *
- Ultimate Simplicity (simplicity.pk3): Full mod with custom status bar reverted to 2005 release (no forced fullscreen mode) and various widescreen & code fixes

* Should also work for any other PWAD using widescreen STBAR @ 486x32, e.g. "Rise of the Wool Ball" (provided you load this patch last)
Last edited by NightFright on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 am, edited 10 times in total.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Thanks for the explanation! And thanks a lot for providing fixes, even though you absolutely didn't have to do that. Thanks again!
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Came here to request a fix for Eviternity, but it is already available. Thanks!

While I'm here, here is one more small question: what do you think about displaying armor type and berserk? Here is an example. I understand that maintaining SBARINFO HUDs is burdensome, and these things may be straying too much from vanilla.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I feel reluctant about adding things to this kind of HUD which are not meant to be there. Adding Boom colors is the max I was willing to do since it did not require much effort. For other kinds of displays you have other status bar projects. This one is about keeping it as vanilla-like as possible.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

I tried to use Split Status Bar for Doom2 with GZDoom 3.7.1 and here's what I got:

A closer look:

What am I doing wrong? Just loaded it by dropping fullscrn_huds.pk3 onto GZDoom.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”