GIS - Make Doom Looks Better

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: GIS - Make Doom Looks Better

Post by Nash »

dpJudas wrote:Each to his own, of course, but you'd never see me add those particular effects that the OP showed screenshots of. Mostly because good post processing in my book is like makeup - it needs to be subtle enough that you just think the girl really does look that great. If you notice the makeup in a way that makes you start thinking about it, then it means it was too much.

I might one day add the framework required for others to do what OP did in a mod tho. We'll see. :)
And IMO the defaults that you make GZDoom ship with for your PP stuff are "just right" to my eyes. You almost never see bloom unless you stand under really bright sectors and your hands start glowing orange (which I understand is not the shader's fault, but just a limitation of the dynamic range in the renderer... heck even modern games have this problem).

The SSAO stuff is "just there", but if you turn it off, the picture looks flat. And the chromatic aberration for ONCE is something I can deal with and leave it on as I play normally (in modern games, CA is always overdone to shit and I'd look for ways to turn it off ASAP)
dpJudas wrote:but I do not like JJ Abrams level of bloom and lens flare. :)

You mean like this? XD
Last edited by Nash on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Nash wrote:And IMO the defaults that you make GZDoom ship with for your PP stuff are "just right" to my eyes. You almost never see bloom unless you stand under really bright sectors and your hands start glowing orange (which I understand is not the shader's fault, but just a limitation of the dynamic range in the renderer... heck even modern games have this problem).
The hands are actually a bit of a complicated situation. They are intentionally brighter than the sector you stand in, especially in some of the light modes, and that in itself greatly increases the chance that they bloom when the scene itself is much darker. There will probably be a setting at some point in the future controlling bloom for the weapon. Maybe three settings ala: On, Off, Weapon uses sector light level. The last setting will still make it bloom if you stand in a very bright spot under a lamp (as it actually should), but the bloom won't be as extreme as the gun brightness itself will be more correct (lower).
Nash wrote:The SSAO stuff is "just there", but if you turn it off, the picture looks flat. And the chromatic aberration for ONCE is something I can deal with and leave it on as I play normally (in modern games, CA is always overdone to shit and I'd look for ways to turn it off ASAP)
Hehe, that's partly because I don't even like the chromatic aberration effect. Originally, I added the lens distortion effect because GTA was willing to throw GPU resources after it and I was wondering why and how it affected a scene. When researching how to write it, I came across the stuff bragging how aberration was more physical correct and cool and blah blah blah. So I added that as well.

What I learned from all this is that the point of lens distortion is to break up the straight lines otherwise present in a scene. It helps hide the fact that all lines in Doom are otherwise perfectly straight. I actually like that and got lens distortion on myself for that reason. But when it comes to chromatic aberration, I don't really think it adds much at all, so I lowered it to a level where its technically there (for bragging rights ;)), yet where I don't really notice it much at all.
Nash wrote:You mean like this? XD
Actually looks cool on a still image. :D
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

While I personally prefer my Doom without filters, I respect that there are people out there who pimp out their graphics in whatever way they want it, and I'm sure you put a lot of work into these presets.
Spoiler:
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

It's an artifact from the post-process SSAO I believe. Probably unavoidable, unfortunately.

8-)
.LuD.

Post by .LuD. »

It's unavoidable, indeed. The Reshade ambient occlusion creates shadows in the sky, nor is it possible to correct the flaw until they release a correct AO reshade version. People who find it annoying can simply turn off ambient occlusion in the configuration file. Personally, I consider the quality introduced by the OA too much to give it up because of some dark halo cast only in outdoors areas and on a limited number of buildings. But I guess it's a matter of tastes.
Nash

Post by Nash »

SSAO will never be fixable from third party libraries or external shaders because to make SSAO look correct, it requires direct access to low level code to make the SSAO be portal-aware (skies are portals). I doubt the Reshade programmers would be interested in that, nor even have the patience to figure out how to work correctly with GZDoom's portal rendering pipeline.

The only way AO will ever look correct is if it's specifically built into the engine... dpJudas already finished his work on the SSAO code and the SSAO shader pass is pending a GZDoom pull request. QZDoom already implements SSAO natively and you can play with it right away.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

it looks so good (0)(0)
.LuD.

Post by .LuD. »

Gorec wrote:it looks so good (0)(0)
Thank you. But as stated before, these screenshots have color, contrast, saturation and brightness values altered compared to how it appears to me during the game, where everything is more balanced and realistic, and much less excessive and cartoon-style. I think this is in part due to the video card on which I worked, in part to the usage of Fraps to capture screenshots. I will try to fix things as soon as possible: if my work is to be judged, I want the judgment to be made on the actual material and not on a distorted filtering of it.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

even if it does not look like that i always wanted to see something like this
Freaklore1

Re: GIS - Gorgeous Italian Style

Post by Freaklore1 »

kodi wrote:Image
I prefer a slightly more subtle approach. Not that it couldn't use a bit of tweaking :P
Say where did you get that sick Wolfenstein hud ?
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

That's Blade of Agony.
.LuD.

Post by .LuD. »

[color=#800000]***** Update of 09-01-2017 ***** New screeshots uploaded at the following page:[/color]

http://iperideia.altervista.org/

[color=#800000]The presets have been refined, now with correct colors and effects.
Each opinion is welcome. Happy new year.[/color]

[color=#000080][b]------------------ Page fixed, images are now viewable ---------------------[/b][/color]

[i][color=#500000]WARNING: ANDROID TENDS TO REPRESENT COLORS TWICE AS SATURATED AND DARK THAN NORMAL: VIEWING IMAGES ON PC IS RECOMMENDED FOR A MORE ACCURATE INDICATION.[/color][/i]
Last edited by wildweasel on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not abuse the color tags. This is not very readable on dark forum skins.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Hope this isn't a SERIOUS bump or anything but, How do I download this? I'm not seeing any sort of links anywhere.
.LuD.

Post by .LuD. »

Clownman wrote:Hope this isn't a SERIOUS bump or anything but, How do I download this? I'm not seeing any sort of links anywhere.
Sorry for the delay. Since I've not seen around the project the enthusiasm I hoped, I became lazy in controlling the message board.
However, I have not yet insert the download link. As I said in my first post, I want to first make sure SergeantMark give his availability for the release of a mod that contains the BrutalDoom lighting system, on which my presets are based.
What do you mean with "serious bump"?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”