D.U.C.K - Full Release!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

D.U.C.K - Full Release!

Post by Tapwave »

Doom Ultracompact Cosmetic Kit.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Trailer by LeoDoom85!

What the heck is this?
This is my attempt at making a really, REALLY lightweight cosmetic mod that'd stick very close to the vanilla aesthetic, both graphics and audio-wise. It is a tiny 2771 kilobytes total!

What's the point?
I wanted to make something as small as possible that'd give a new look to the original graphics, without straying too far from Doom's style. Then it evolved into something where I wanted to give doom a more... 1994 style, with streamlined weapon graphics, slightly different text, sounds, etc. All keeping with the vanilla aesthetic.

What does this work with?
Anything that uses the base doom graphics and sounds. Like my mod! /shamelessplug

Who made the resources?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Tapwave on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:52 am, edited 23 times in total.
Boomstick

Re: D.U.C.K - A lightweight vanilla cosmetic mod

Post by Boomstick »

Groovy, I especially like the blue BFG blast. I reckon robotic monster sprites would work well with the weapons
Last edited by Boomstick on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Look good but change the sounds at the chainsaw,see it use chaingun sounds in your mod.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

Boomstick wrote: hmm.. "unknown command bt_showscores"
That's because a mod you used before has that bind. This mod has no commands used whatsoever.
ZioMcCall wrote:Look good but change the sounds at the chainsaw,see it use chaingun sounds in your mod.
Do you mean that the chaingun and the chainsaw have the same sound, or the chainsaw sounds too much like a chaingun?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

The chainsaw uses sounds that have been more often used for Chainguns and Miniguns. It's a bit jarring and my first reaction was "what the heck"
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

Mikk- wrote:The chainsaw uses sounds that have been more often used for Chainguns and Miniguns. It's a bit jarring and my first reaction was "what the heck"
Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I tried to go for cleaner, less grating sounds for it since both that and the plasmagun get really painful on the ears sometimes. I don't have any good "1994 quality" chainsaw sounds around, though, but if you know of a resource that has one, I'd be more than happy to put it in.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Tapwave wrote:I don't have any good "1994 quality" chainsaw sounds around, though, but if you know of a resource that has one, I'd be more than happy to put it in.
Go nuts with the sample rate on any chainsaw sounds you can find. 11025 Hz might make it sound old enough, and it might not.
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Tapwave wrote:
ZioMcCall wrote:Look good but change the sounds at the chainsaw,see it use chaingun sounds in your mod.
Do you mean that the chaingun and the chainsaw have the same sound, or the chainsaw sounds too much like a chaingun?
I mean that the chainsaw sounds like a chaingun.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

ZioMcCall wrote: I mean that the chainsaw sounds like a chaingun.
Working on this at the moment. Finding good sound bases is quite hard, but I'll see what I can do.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

Updated with a new chainsaw set of sounds. Also, all sounds have the same-ish sample rate now, reducing filesize further (and making the knife hit and rocket launcher sounds less odd).
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

I'm noticing that the chainsaw audio doesn't stop after you switch weapons unless you fire or wait a few seconds.
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

Boomstick wrote:I'm noticing that the chainsaw audio doesn't stop after you switch weapons unless you fire or wait a few seconds.
Oh wow. That's me being really stupid. I'm going to fix that right now. Can't believe I didn't notice this.
/edit It should be fixed now. Can anybody tell me if it is?
/re-edit Okay, seriously, it should be good now. JFC.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

Could you improve more the knife animation? and maybe..and the bfg recoil animation, that looks better!
Tapwave

Post by Tapwave »

NullWire wrote:Could you improve more the knife animation? and maybe..and the bfg recoil animation, that looks better!
As much as I REALLY agree with this and am just dying to do so, I'm working with Doom's base animation limits, which means three frames for the fist and one for the BFG. The BFG actually has a recoil sprite in the IWAD, but it's never used. The knife swipe I did was the one that looked the least stupid and it was a nightmare to make with only three frames of animation.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Tapwave wrote:
NullWire wrote:Could you improve more the knife animation? and maybe..and the bfg recoil animation, that looks better!
As much as I REALLY agree with this and am just dying to do so, I'm working with Doom's base animation limits, which means three frames for the fist and one for the BFG. The BFG actually has a recoil sprite in the IWAD, but it's never used. The knife swipe I did was the one that looked the least stupid and it was a nightmare to make with only three frames of animation.
Use offsets to make a recoil, just move the sprite back and knock the view up a lil bit.

Really tho, use offsets, they're wonderful for getting the most out of sprites. Check out wildweasel's [Weapon Mod] Mixed Tape Vol.3 (Released!), it's got a ton of examples.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”