UndeadHUD

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
unRyker

UndeadHUD

Post by unRyker »

A personal, minimalist HUD that promotes peripheral vision over looking away from the action.

ABOUT:
Hey everyone, this is undeadHUD, my first mod I've decided to release that exclusively focused on coding. Thanks to wildweasel's guide on SBARINFO and my background in some Photoshop, I was able to design a simple HUD that I feel comfortable with (taking inspiration from Team Fortress 2) and decided to share it with you all!

FEATURES:
- Team Fortress 2-styled Health Indications!
-- 'Buffed' Health
-- 'Critical' Health
- Backpack indicator!
- Berserk Indicator!
- Optimized StatusBar face for accurate health gauge

OFFICIAL VERSIONS:
- Vanilla Doom (II)
- Smooth Doom
- Beautiful Doom

LOADING WITHOUT MODS:
  • Just load undeadHUD.pk3 on your engine of choice. Simple!
LOADING WITH MODS:
  • Load the corresponding mod first and the appropriate undeadHUD compatibility version last.
  • Drag 'n' Drop the mod itself first after selecting both the mod and the HUD. [GIF Demonstration, easiest way]
This is open to criticism and feedback- anyways have fun and enjoy!

DOWNLOAD
View it on GitLab.
Last edited by unRyker on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: UndeadHUD (coming June 16 2016)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Simple is always better! When it comes out, may i use it on a project i plan to update here?

Keep up the good job!
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

loos great and quickly readable.
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

GAA1992 wrote:When it comes out, may i use it on a project i plan to update here?
I don't see why you can't. Thanks for considering to use it!

Also, here's small preview on what I've been working on:

I've moved the overall HUD up a bit since it was blocking maps with longer names such as 'The Spirit World', in addition to adding a transparent berserk indicator (only shown when berserk is picked up), exaggeration of progressively low health [that's still being tuned up on], and key slots. I may have no finals Thursday, so I may work in overdrive mode on that day to speed up the development of the hud. I'm glad you all like it so far!
StatisticalHourglass

Post by StatisticalHourglass »

I don't think that exaggeration is really necessary, with the skull it gets the point across pretty well.
waiting for the release!
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

This is looking pretty effin' neat!

Just a small request (which I consider necessary putting out here because I really like the way this looks!) would it be possible for you to, um, make compatible versions of this HUD for mods like, say, Smooth Doom or Beautiful Doom? I gather from the OP that you're possibly planning to get on that, but just in case, would you give me or anyone else permission to make said versions were you to end up busy with exams and shit? I get this is still clearly WIP and you're still trying to get the base thing to work, just wanted to know. Thanks in advance! :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

unRyker wrote:I've moved the overall HUD up a bit since it was blocking maps with longer names such as 'The Spirit World'
You don't necessarily need to move the entire HUD for that; you can certainly have it shift up when the map is on, though, by defining a "statusbar automap" block.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Lookin' good!

<60 seems awfully high a threshold for a big distracting flashing alert, though. Maybe reserve it for things below 30% (one shotgun guy shot can kill you) and have the red tint for 30-50 white numbers instead of red for 60+?
Lime

Post by Lime »

TF2 Inspiration HUD, I am amazed with this Simplistic HUD!
unRyker

Post by unRyker »

Logging back on here only to be greeted by a lot of feedback! Before I start with the replies, I'd like to mention I have tomorrow off before I start finals. As a result, I will be tinkering with this HUD a lot more than usual. Anyways, here goes:
StatisticalHourglass wrote:I don't think that exaggeration is really necessary, with the skull it gets the point across pretty well. waiting for the release!
I'm on the fence on that one myself, I'm willing to play around with it for at least a couple more days before dropping it completely. With that aside, I'm happy to hear that you're anticipating its release!
Almonds wrote:This is looking pretty effin' neat!

Just a small request (which I consider necessary putting out here because I really like the way this looks!) would it be possible for you to, um, make compatible versions of this HUD for mods like, say, Smooth Doom or Beautiful Doom? I gather from the OP that you're possibly planning to get on that, but just in case, would you give me or anyone else permission to make said versions were you to end up busy with exams and shit? I get this is still clearly WIP and you're still trying to get the base thing to work, just wanted to know. Thanks in advance! :P
Indeed, I'll try to make it Smooth Doom and Beautiful Doom compatibility versions upon release because I enjoy playing these two mods for now. And of course, locking the HUD away from modification of others is something I just can't see ever happening in any modding community ever. Of course I'd allow compatibility versions of my HUD by other people! Glad to see you're interested too!
wildweasel wrote:You don't necessarily need to move the entire HUD for that; you can certainly have it shift up when the map is on, though, by defining a "statusbar automap" block.
I'm delighted to see some more advice! However, I can't seem to shift already existing Automap text that can be customized by the user such as existing monsters, items, secrets and the map name at the bottom. However, I can still seem to add new elements. There must be something I'm missing off the wiki but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Thanks for alerting me about the Automap block though, I embarrassingly forgot about it!

EDIT:
Actually, I noticed that leaving a blank Automap block gets rid of the Health and everything with it. I'll see where I can go from there.
Vaecrius wrote:Lookin' good!

<60 seems awfully high a threshold for a big distracting flashing alert, though. Maybe reserve it for things below 30% (one shotgun guy shot can kill you) and have the red tint for 30-50 white numbers instead of red for 60+?
Yeah, I agree. I've now tightened the threshold all-round for health concerning warnings and the high-health indicator. For color-changing numbers, I'm considering it having it only change to white when your health is 101+ to mimic the 'buffed' effect furthermore. I'm thinking about changing the health color to orange/yellow for critical health, though I fear that might be taking it a bit too far with the bright colors already seen on the HUD. Regardless, I'm gratified to see more confirmation that it looks good!
Lime wrote:TF2 Inspiration HUD, I am amazed with this Simplistic HUD!
I'll be waiting to see what you think about it when it is released!

---

Whew, now that all of the replies have been addressed, I'll drop another GIF snapshot of what I have so far here.

Coincidentally, the GIF shown above has a filesize of 6.66MB. In addition, the GIF absolutely shows that the HUD increases your rocket jumping skills by at least 33%. [citation needed]

Also, I've added Inventory support. The mod I'm running in the screenshot below to show it off is DoomRL Arsenal.
Spoiler: Inventory Preview
Thank you all for your feedback, if you have any more- please let me know. Thanks again!
unRyker

Re: UndeadHUD

Post by unRyker »

Mandatory Release Bump
Nothing much to add, really. It's just been released on the dot. (well, only 1 hour and 15 minutes late into June 16)

Play for yourself, the OP has been revised to suit your needs!

Anyways, a not-so-finished Automap version has been included, along with bumping up the ammo to be on-level with the health- also moving the berserk indicator over to the ammo-side since I feel it's where you'll be looking for your weapon information anyway.

(Not shown, but a frag counter has been added to the automap for Deathmatch only)

If you're interested, you can download it and there will be an INFO.txt file, the core file along with 2 official compatibility versions of it. Have fun!
Lime

Post by Lime »

I heard about your release, Tested it and it was going really well! I enjoyed playing Doom with this HUD for a while. I'll wait for more future updates. Good Work!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The archive seems to have a backup file left in it.
TheDoomctator

Post by TheDoomctator »

TF2 inspired huh? I like the look of those you find in gamebanana where they are simple and right in the middle of the screen...
I just did not know they looked great with doom as well! nice one comrade, i like it!
Medicris

Post by Medicris »

Really reminds me of ToonHUD! Looks great, man. Keep 'er up.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”