[SOLVED]Dynamic Mltiplayr(ON HOLD) Position Dependent Skybox

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[SOLVED]Dynamic Mltiplayr(ON HOLD) Position Dependent Skybox

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:07 pm

So basically...

I've created a custom Actor which gives new functionality to the existing SkyViewpoint Thing (used for creating static skyboxes in maps). It's 100% DONE and working... for SINGLE player. I've already implemented certain restrictions as part of my plan for multiplayer support. However, I'm quite new to ACS and DECORATE. I have concluded that in order for this to work correctly in multiplayer I must extend the existing SkyPicker Actor as I have already done for the SkyViewpoint Actor.

My question to the community...

I was wondering... does anybody know if or where I can find the original class definitions to the editor Things so that I may see exactly what is going on inside the SkyPicker? Unfortunately,
Code: Select allExpand view
ACTOR SkyPicker native
{
  +NOSECTOR
  +NOBLOCKMAP
  +NOGRAVITY
  +DONTSPLASH
}

as it appears on the ZDoom Wiki, doesn't really tell me much... Also, maybe what I'm attempting isn't even possible given my current toolset and would require modifying the ZDoom/GZDoom source code! If that's how it appears to you please let me know that as well! Or maybe someone has already accomplished this at a higher quality than I could have provided (although, I've not noticed any similar projects, just this concept mentioned in passing on a forum thread once). Whatever the case, I'd appreciate any assistance. And if it turns out this can't be done without taking aforementioned extreme source altering measures, maybe this can still be a fun tool to use for exclusively single player authors, right? Anywho, I've provided a video demonstrating the Actor's effect. Thank you for reading!

Link

EDIT:
At the moment, it does seem as though alterations to the ZDoom source code would have to be made in order to facilitate multiplayer compatibility. For now, my DynamicSkyViewpoint Thing will have to remain for single player use only (unless you don't mind the sky moving according to a single player's position during multiplayer xD!)... Sorry, everybody.
Last edited by A-Bomb on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A-Bomb

Re: [WIP] Dynamic Multiplayer Position Dependent Skybox

Postby xX-SEAN-Xx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 pm

That's awesome! Do you plan on releasing the single player version or are you waiting to see what happens with the multiplayer version?
xX-SEAN-Xx

Postby Arctangent » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:02 am

I'm pretty sure this is actually impossible, at least unless you make it strictly for, say, Zandronum, for one main reason: ZDoom multiplayer isn't client-server. Anything that happens to one player happens to them all, so if you, say, move an actor somewhere, it'll move it for every player.

Also, that IS the entire definition of SkyPicker - for Decorate, anyway. You're right in that you'd have to dive into the source code to alter how it works, because Decorate-defined actors don't currently ( and are unlikely to ever ) have that sort of stuff that's completely irrelevant to actors, so the SkyPicker actor relies on hard code to do what it does.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:13 am

xX-SEAN-Xx wrote:That's awesome! Do you plan on releasing the single player version or are you waiting to see what happens with the multiplayer version?

Well I suppose, knowing what I do now, that I can release it in it's current state (it is a pretty neat little effect to have but I REALLY wanted to make it work for ZDoom multi).

Arctangent wrote:I'm pretty sure this is actually impossible, at least unless you make it strictly for, say, Zandronum, for one main reason: ZDoom multiplayer isn't client-server. Anything that happens to one player happens to them all, so if you, say, move an actor somewhere, it'll move it for every player.

Also, that IS the entire definition of SkyPicker - for Decorate, anyway. You're right in that you'd have to dive into the source code to alter how it works, because Decorate-defined actors don't currently ( and are unlikely to ever ) have that sort of stuff that's completely irrelevant to actors, so the SkyPicker actor relies on hard code to do what it does.

This hurts me lol. A part of me suspected as much but thank you. Well, I guess this means on to the next project (I don't know why I waited this long to really get into acs and decorate, this is too fun!)!
A-Bomb

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:16 am

But just in case, I'm going to leave this open for another day or two. Though I do realize at this point chances of even a hacky work around are slim to nil.
A-Bomb

Postby Gifty » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:29 am

Kind of off-topic, but is that pistol based off the Romero graphics dump? Where'd you get it?
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:09 pm

Gifty wrote:Kind of off-topic, but is that pistol based off the Romero graphics dump? Where'd you get it?

It's the DOOM64 pistol. The wad I'm using for it is SmoothDoom.
A-Bomb

Postby Nightfall » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:18 pm

A-Bomb wrote:does anybody know if or where I can find the original class definitions to the editor Things

To answer this particular question: you need to consult ZDoom source code for that. SkyPicker is here for instance.
Nightfall

Postby Tormentor667 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Oh god, this is brilliant. If this gets multiplayer friendly, I definitely need it for the UTNT release :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Nightfall wrote:
A-Bomb wrote:does anybody know if or where I can find the original class definitions to the editor Things

To answer this particular question: you need to consult ZDoom source code for that. SkyPicker is here for instance.

Thanks a lot for this. It seems the underlying code was not at all what I expected. Actually, the SkyPicker itself does not have the functionality which I was intent on altering it seems (meaning the existing SkyPicker code could still work I think)... I think what I'm actually looking for is in the code for Sectors unfortunately. Anywho, regardless I think adding multiplayer support for this is probably far beyond the scope of my expertise :( .

Tormentor667 wrote:Oh god, this is brilliant. If this gets multiplayer friendly, I definitely need it for the UTNT release :)

I'll still think about the requirements, I'll look into the ZDoom source code just for shiggles (if for anything, at least to learn what's happening inside), but unfortunately I think this means any hope in a multiplayer version of my custom actor anytime soon should be abandoned...

P.S. Tormentor667, I actually was about to submit the single player version to Realm667 recently but then I saw Actors weren't allowed to have any ACS xD! Regardless, you and the rest of the community for which you've provided the means to share work have great stuff, I'm a frequent guest!
A-Bomb

Re: [SOLVED]Dynamic Mltiplayr(ON HOLD) Position Dependent Sk

Postby Tormentor667 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:13 am

@A-Bomb - In this special case I'd say we make an exception as I find this very very useful indeed. Concerning the general usage, it would be awesome if it was multiplayer-friendly (maybe you can make a feature suggestion of a special new actor that's somehow a player-depending skybox, as of now the skybox viewpoint is general for all players). Though, I think even as single player solution I see a lot of places where to use it :)

So, if you want to submit it to the Realm667, you have my approval.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:22 am

Tormentor667 wrote:@A-Bomb - In this special case I'd say we make an exception as I find this very very useful indeed. Concerning the general usage, it would be awesome if it was multiplayer-friendly (maybe you can make a feature suggestion of a special new actor that's somehow a player-depending skybox, as of now the skybox viewpoint is general for all players). Though, I think even as single player solution I see a lot of places where to use it :)

So, if you want to submit it to the Realm667, you have my approval.

Ah yes! Terrific! Thank you, and now that I've your approval and also now that I don't have to worry about the multiplayer restrictions I put in place (I will make the feature suggestion though), I think I'll clean it up a little and take away those now unnecessary restrictions (because as of now you are required to tag the viewpoints according to player numbers. I'll change it so the tags can be arbitrary).
A-Bomb

Postby ibm5155 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:53 pm

and now everyone is making skyboxes that move.

EDIT: zdoom multiplayer is cave tech, you'll not want to end up with an out of sync because veryone is looking at a skybox at different positions

EDIT2: the only bad about that is that zdoom will crash when you look to that skybox, at least, it's what I think it's happening on my map
ibm5155
Just Spooky

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches