[Release] JDUI - GZDoom RePack 1.0

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Release] JDUI - GZDoom RePack 1.0

Postby zedas » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Hello all, another mini mod for the GZDoom (and I guess zdoom?) source port. I had seen the nice user interface update for Doomsday engine called JDUI. I hoped it would work easily in GZDoom. It didn't :( . So I set off going about the somewhat large task of converting and adding to it. These are the results.

Download:
mediafire download JDUI GZDoom RePack 1.0

My Photoshop file for those who may want to use it
mediafire download DoomTitles.psd

ScreenShots:
Spoiler:

Instructions From the Readme:
JDUI - GZDoom RePack
--------------------------

Changelog:
Version 1.0, created 07/22/2015
- Initial Release

This is a repack and expansion that makes the JDUI graphical elements work correctly in GZDoom. JDUI is a set of high-res user interface elements that was made to work with the Doomsday sourceport. With a bit of tweaking and additions this excellent pack now functions in GZDoom as well.

What is included:
High Resolution
-fonts
-titles
-backgrounds
-status bar
Large font defined
Small font graphics

Necessary Components:
Whichever Doom wad file you're using (if you're this far you should probably know this)

The up to date GZDoom builds can be found here
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewforum.php? ... 9589ad028c

or here for development builds
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

Installing:
Put all the components in the same directory as gzdoom.exe (unzip downloaded files that require it), or in a folder you specify in the config e.g. "Addon".

In the Autoload section of your zdoom ini (which will be "zdoom-<ADMINISTRATOR NAME>.ini") you must make/alter these entries to explicitly this order:

[Global.Autoload] (ditto for any of these [Doom.Autoload]/[Doom1.Autoload]/[Doom2.Autoload]/etc.)
Path=JDUI_GZDoom_RePack_1-0.pk3
Path=JDUI_<insert name>_Addon.pk3 (You would only use one addon per autoload section)

There can be other files before or after them, but the JDUI files must be loaded in that order for the repack to work. I would tend to place the JDUI files at the end of the load order as they seem to work best there. Other files loaded after often overwrite the fonts. Feel free to adjust load order as necessary though. Caveat: The Brutal Doom addon must be loaded after brutalv20b.pk3

Example autoload (mine) with Brutal Doom and Doom 2:
Spoiler:

Notes:
- All the 100+ level titles between Doom, DoomII, TNT, and Plutonia are not completed. If someone would like to undertake that task they are welcome to it.
- This addon has some functionality in Zandronum if dropped in the skins folder

Acknowledgements:
Big Thanks to the creators of the GZDoom source port, The majority of the credit goes to the font and image creators with a little to me for type setting and making some defines. See "credits readme.txt" for full credit listing.

Full Credit Listing
Spoiler:

Cheers
zedas
Last edited by zedas on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
zedas

Re: [Release] JDUI - GZDoom RePack 1.0

Postby Nevander » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Oh cool you used my newer HELP screens. I'm glad someone found them/found a use for them. :D

I actually have all this stuff on my HDD from the Doomsday pack and was eventually going to put it together myself, when was the question. A lot of it was more or less already named correctly, just incorrect sorted for use in G/ZDoom. Nice to see it all together here for use in G/ZDoom.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby edward850 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:41 pm

zedas wrote:[doom.doom2.Autoload]
Path=SPFX15.WAD
Path=lights.pk3
Path=brightmaps.pk3
Path=Classic_brightmaps.pk3
Path=Sycraft_Doom_high_hot.pk3
Path=DoomMetalVol4.wad
Path=hellspawn+voxelbro1.4.pk3
Path=Aspengers and Tourettes Voxels1.1.pk3
Path=JDUI_GZDoom_RePack_1-0.pk3
Path=JDUI_DoomII_Addon.pk3
Path=brutalv20.pk3
Path=BDV20_OldRifleSprites.pk3
Path=UDV_v1.61_A_BASE_GZDoomOnly.pk3
Path=UDV_v1.61_B_ADD_IN_Mod_BDv20.pk3
Path=UDV_v1.61_C_ADD_IN_Inventory_Goggles.pk3
Path=UDV_v1.61_C_ADD_IN_Inventory_HEV_Suit.pk3
Path=JDUI_BrutalDoom_Addon.pk3
Path=BD_Voxel_Patch.pk3

edward850
[netcode intensifies]

Postby zedas » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:34 pm

edward850 wrote:
zedas wrote:[doom.doom2.Autoload]

Big long list

Homer melting into the hedge

Haha, perhaps my example list is a little daunting. I assure everyone it works just fine though. And of course none of that extra stuff is needed if you're just using the JDUI pack.
zedas

Postby Wiw » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 am

Brilliant stuff; like the HUD face particularly. Was that synthesized from the original graphics, or redrawn entirely?
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Genisys » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:58 pm

Excellent stuff!

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are the following wads;
SPFX15.WAD
Classic_brightmaps.pk3

And aren't the first brightmaps overwritten by the second in the autoload?
Genisys

Postby zedas » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:33 am

Wiw wrote:Brilliant stuff; like the HUD face particularly. Was that synthesized from the original graphics, or redrawn entirely?

I believe it is a combination of upscaling the original, sharpening, and redrawing.

Genisys wrote:Excellent stuff!

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are the following wads;
D2SPFX16.WAD
Classic_brightmaps.pk3

And aren't the first brightmaps overwritten by the second in the autoload?

D2SPFX16.wad is from this http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36713 sprite fixing project. Pretty neat stuff.

Classic_brightmaps.pk3 may be something I've renamed, or at the least I cant find where it came from anymore. :? I know there was a thread I found that had a bunch of them, but where it is....
It does overwrite the brightmaps that come with GZDoom with it's enhanced versions. I keep the default maps there as a baseline just in case the enhanced ones miss something.
Edit: It appears I may have aquired the brightmaps from a few sources that can be found in this thread http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5306 I should undertake a mission to sort them all out 8-)
Last edited by zedas on Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedas

Postby Skrell » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:22 pm

any idea if those brightmaps are compatible with Brutal DOOM ?
Skrell

Postby Skrell » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:38 pm

This pack is GREAT except that it makes the HUD fonts blurry. Can this PLEASE be fixed??
Skrell

Postby zedas » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Skrell wrote:This pack is GREAT except that it makes the HUD fonts blurry. Can this PLEASE be fixed??

Could you take a screen shot so I can see what you mean? I haven't seen this behaviour before. You sure it's not a mod conflict?
zedas

Postby Skrell » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Here you go...this is without ANY other gameplay mods.... Notice that you can't even tell if the 2nd digit is a 3 or an 8 or an 9 and is hence unplayable.
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20151225_204738.png
Skrell

Postby wildweasel » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Skrell wrote:Here you go...this is without ANY other gameplay mods.... Notice that you can't even tell if the 2nd digit is a 3 or an 8 or an 9 and is hence unplayable.

What happens if you set "hud_scale" to True from the console? Those numbers aren't intended to be small.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Skrell » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:22 pm

wildweasel wrote:
Skrell wrote:Here you go...this is without ANY other gameplay mods.... Notice that you can't even tell if the 2nd digit is a 3 or an 8 or an 9 and is hence unplayable.

What happens if you set "hud_scale" to True from the console? Those numbers aren't intended to be small.

Then they are INSANELY large. The real problem is the fonts themselves don't have any "space" around/within the characters so they blur together...i'd like an option to simply use the default font in gzdoom for the HUD but keep the JDUI graphics everywhere else.
Skrell

Postby Skrell » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Any update on this issue? :-/
Skrell

Postby wildweasel » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:16 pm

It's probably something that'll have to be tweaked on JDUI's front, because as it stands, nothing GZDoom can do will fix it. The numbers have to be designed in such a way that they're legible at those small sizes.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Next

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches