[HUD] All-Info Classic HUD v.1.1 *Boom Colors!*

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
patrik

[HUD] All-Info Classic HUD v.1.1 *Boom Colors!*

Post by patrik »

UPDATE! NEW V.1.1 VERSION RELEASED!

BRIEF INFO:
My main goals with this mod are to provide classic looking HUD with:
- Mugshot
- Levels stats for overlay automap
- Boom styled colorized counters by their values
- And make it as cross-mod compatible as possible.

Compatible with latest stable releases of Zdoom, Gzdoom, Zandronum and all their later svn builds.

After initial release I decided to split this mod into 2 separate branches. First one is continuation of already begun development and second, called "Vanilla" introduces Ammo tally for vanilla Doom.

Vanilla version is designed only for classic Doom or with mods, PWADs that dont add new weapons and/or ammo types. It is possible that some mods with new weapons may be compatible with it somehow, but generally it is not recommended to try it with them.
DOWNLOAD LINKS:
All-InfoClassicHUDv1.1.wad
(9.59 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
All-InfoClassicHUDv1.1Van.wad
"Vanilla" version with Overall Ammo Tally for Original Doom
(12.15 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
If you see default Zdoom fullscreen or alternative HUD instead of this, shrink your screen view one step down.

SCREENSHOTS:
CLICK ON SHOW SPOILER FOR MORE
Spoiler:
CHANGELOG:
- Initial release. At that time version was not mentioned in name.
- Split into 2 separate branches: continuation of original and special "Vanilla" version (Van suffix)
- Added Boom style colorization of counters (Thanks to Blue Shadow for tip)
- Changed inventory bar to more minimalistic look
NOTES:
This fullscreen hud replaces Statusbar (I know it sounds weird :oops: ), but that was the only way I was capable to show level stats for overlay map.
Centered deliberately, as I prefer having info in center *even* on widescreen. But feel free to make any modifications to it (like editing it with fullscreen offsets) and distribute it further. Dont worry, no permissions needed. :wink:
Motivation for "Vanilla" version was based on principle, that original Doom deserves such treatment for its significance.
But I am not interested in any way to alter this HUD for other mods. That is up to you, if you want.

POSSIBLE TO-DOs:
- Implement all 4 colors for values of counter digits. So far I was able to implement only 3.
- Display scaled down WeaponIcon for selected weapons. < Seems to be not yet possible, it is said to be only in test build of Gzdoom f73275a :(
I have no knowledge of ACS and I want to keep most of this HUDs features as cross-mod compatible as possible and dont want to create other mod specific variations. Any help apprecieted. :)

CREDITS (Also included in WAD):
All code made by me.
Copies of original statusbar font graphics (STYSNUM*s) made by ID Software.
Little help from Blue Shadow with colorizing counters.
Inspiration by Odamex (mugshot), Doomsday (level stats for overlay map) and Boom (colorized counters from graphical hud) HUDs.
Last edited by patrik on Wed May 27, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Re: [HUD] All-Info Classic HUD

Post by Slax »

All-Info, huh? No complete ammo counter. :I
patrik

Post by patrik »

Do you mean tally for all available ammo types as it is in vanilla statusbar? Honestly, I wasnt even interested in it anyway, as I think it makes HUD redundantly too cluttered.

I propably could release separate version with it. But... my main aim was to make all features of this HUD as mod compatible as possible. And I dont think there is any plausible way to achieve this with overall ammo tally. I would have to either rely on vanilla default ammo types and then it would be useless for mods with their own custom ones, or I would have to create new version for every specific mod I would be requested to. Sorry, but no thanks. :(

But it would be surely useful thing to have any way to automatically display all ammo types included in any used mods and hide unused vanilla ones. (And way to colorize counters according to their values, ehm.)
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

patrik wrote:- Make color of counter digits affected by their values as in Boom or Eternity Engine (Color changing from: Blue > Green > Yellow to Red.)
Have you looked into [wiki]DrawNumber[/wiki]'s low_color, low_value, high_color and high_value parameters?
- Display scaled down WeaponIcon for selected weapons.
[wiki]DrawImage[/wiki] have a scaling feature (max-width and max-height parameters).
patrik

Post by patrik »

UPDATE BUMP! NEW VERSION 1.1 RELEASED! CHECK ORIGINAL POST!

"But you said, you wont release any updates for it!"
"I lied." 8-)

But seriously, main motivations for me were Blue Shadow's hints and Slax's mention of overall ammo tally. Thanks for motivational kick, guys. :)
Blue Shadow wrote: Have you looked into [wiki]DrawNumber[/wiki]'s low_color, low_value, high_color and high_value parameters?
[wiki]DrawImage[/wiki] have a scaling feature (max-width and max-height parameters).
Thanks for help with colorizing counters, but unfortunately it has one limitation. You can only define 3 colors for one counter. So I couldnt implement in blue color for "over 100%" values. IMO this system is bit inflexible because you can define colors only by concrete values and not percents relative to player class max health. So my mod is now not completely visually compatible with mods that have higher maximum player health. But screw it, 90% of mods use vanilla values anyway, so no big loss.

It looks like scaling features for DrawImage are as wiki states truly reserved only to build f73275a, which was propably never compiled and publicly released at DRD site, as I couldnt find it anywhere else except for github. Zdoom/Gzdoom these attributes ignore and Zandronum outrightly crashes at launch.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

patrik wrote:Thanks for help with colorizing counters, but unfortunately it has one limitation. You can only define 3 colors for one counter.
...Not if you use [wiki]IfHealth[/wiki] blocks! You can even specify percentage, for mods that use >100 health values.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

patrik wrote:It looks like scaling features for DrawImage are as wiki states truly reserved only to build f73275a, which was propably never compiled and publicly released at DRD site, as I couldnt find it anywhere else except for github. Zdoom/Gzdoom these attributes ignore and Zandronum outrightly crashes at launch.
Don't let the "only" part of the tag fool you. It doesn't literally mean the feature is available in just on build and one build only.

The feature was added back in 2013. A lot of development builds have been uploaded since then. All of the development builds you can currently get for ZDoom and GZDoom from here should have the feature.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Blue Shadow wrote:Don't let the "only" part of the tag fool you. It doesn't literally mean the feature is available in just on build and one build only.
Yeah, that should be changed to something like "version x and up only" or "introduced in version x" to eliminate this kind of confusion.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [HUD] All-Info Classic HUD v.1.1 *Boom Colors!*

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Oh-ho, it's nice... :yup:

Pretty cool work Mr Patrik! :thumb:
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Looks good, the shadows on the numbers need a bit of work so they aren't more obvious than the numbers themselves.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

amv2k9 wrote:Yeah, that should be changed to something like "version x and up only" or "introduced in version x" to eliminate this kind of confusion.
I don't think that's going to change, I'm afraid.
patrik

Post by patrik »

To Hexereticdoom and Xtyfe: I am glad you like it. :D I dont have any high ambitions for it, nothing too fancy-shmancy. I was just missing some features from HUDs of other Doom source ports, so I said to myself why not implent them into Zdoom?
Xtyfe wrote:...the shadows on the numbers need a bit of work so they aren't more obvious than the numbers themselves.
Hmm, I will look into this. You are right that it is not authentic, as digits from Boom graphical HUD keep their grey shadows. I just lazily copied and renamed original graphical lups of them from DOOM.WAD and defined them as separate font. I change colors of them with color translation, but Zdoom recolors whole image including shadows. Maybe I could edit them with GIMP, erase shadows and then define them in DrawNumber code.
amv2k9 wrote:...Not if you use IfHealth blocks! You can even specify percentage, for mods that use >100 health values.
Too bad there is no IfArmor and IfAmmo. I rather want to keep looks consistent, so I think it would look odd if only health counter changed color to blue when above 100%. And it breaks compatibility with stable releases of Zdoom/Gzdoom/Zandronum.
Blue Shadow wrote:All of the development builds you can currently get for ZDoom and GZDoom from here should have the feature.
Then, I dont know what I am doing wrong, because Zdoom (2.8pre-1630) keeps ignoring it for me. For example I try to limit size of armoricon to size 5x5 pixels, so I type this but it still keeps its default size:

Code: Select all

drawimage armoricon, 16, 165, 5, 5;
But I presume this is again available only to newer svn builds, so I would lost compatibility with stable release. Yeah, I know that is bad self imposed limitation, but I see lot of posters here still use stable releases.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I really dig this hud, IT'S SO BIG AND COLORFUL AND JUICY
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Great hud.I very like it but i have one sugestion:
Spoiler:
Could you make all hud elements put in the corners and ammo counter on the right side?I`m using 1680x1050 resolution.
patrik

Post by patrik »

Sorry, but cant help you with that. I intetionally designed this HUD as centered, *even* on widescreens, because I prefer to have all vital info in center of my focus.

Oh, and regarding those colorful bold shadows. I was experimenting with few different styles (like removing built-in shadows from original lumps of fonts and defining them via drawshadow, but this made them transparent; or recoloring "shadow pixels" from them to darker colors, but that just made too drab) and I came to conclusion, that this style just grew too much on me. I know that it is not visually authentic to Boom graphical HUD, but so is lack of blue color for over 100% values, so I dont mind. I think they give this HUD distinctive look from other classic styled HUDs.

It seems pretty much everything I wanted to achieve, was done, so it can be considered finished (Only if Zdoom added IfArmor and IfAmmo. Then I wouldnt mind sacrificing Zandronum compatibility. :-) ).

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”