[Release] Brutal Doom Voxel Patch 3.2.1 (Updated 01/22/2016)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Skrell

Re: [Release] Brutal Doom Voxel Patch 2.0

Post by Skrell »

zedas wrote:
Skrell wrote:Am i correct in saying that these will NOT work with Zandronum 2.0 ?
Umm I don't think it would work by just dropping files in the skins folder. I haven't tested it, but I suspect it wouldn't function. Unless the skins folder loads alphabetically and you named the necessary PK3s 01_, 02_, 03_, etc. Maybe then? I'll investigate. I've got another little visual mod in the pipeline that I want to check with Zandronum as well, so I can look at them both.
Awesome!!! Can't wait! :))
oliacym

Post by oliacym »

This is a beautiful addition, big fan of voxels here. And the updates are very much appreciated! However, I'm seeing a weird thing with barrels, they appear fine in game, and don't flicker between voxel and sprite anymore. But they seem to change orientation randomly, changing the direction they're facing. I've tried to fix it myself, but can't figure this one out! Any ideas as to where I should be looking?
zedas

Post by zedas »

oliacym wrote:This is a beautiful addition, big fan of voxels here. And the updates are very much appreciated! However, I'm seeing a weird thing with barrels, they appear fine in game, and don't flicker between voxel and sprite anymore. But they seem to change orientation randomly, changing the direction they're facing. I've tried to fix it myself, but can't figure this one out! Any ideas as to where I should be looking?
Well I noticed this before, but I kind of let it go. I decided to have a closer look. There is one line of code that is causing this. Brutal Doom barrels are coded kind of like monsters to get the desired effects out of them and that seems to be where the issue lies. With a flat sprite you don't see the difference, but since a voxel is 3D, you do.

In the decorate define for the exploding barrel you find this

Code: Select all

States
	{
	Spawn:
		TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("TargetIsANExplosiveBarrel", 1)
	   BAR1 A 1 A_Look

BAR1 ABCD 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
		BAR1 E 1 A_Look

BAR1 EFGH 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
		BAR1 I 1 A_Look

BAR1 IJKL 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
		BAR1 M 1 A_Look
		Goto See
		Loop

See:	
	   BAR1 ABCDEFGHIJKLM 4 A_SpawnItem("greenlensflarealtsmall",0,32)
	   TNT1 AAAAAAAAA 0 A_Chase
		Loop
This Line is causing the barrel to "move" - TNT1 AAAAAAAAA 0 A_Chase

You can remove the A_Chase action and the problem is solved. I tested it with A_Chase removed and didn't run into any problems, but it wasn't quite exhaustive testing. I cant figure out what exactly it's purpose is there? What that line is, is 9 blank frames that last for 0 tics that tell the barrel to move. It doesn't have any use that I can tell, but I'm not an expert by any means.
Furthermore fixing it on my end would mean I'd have to include files to overwrite the Brutal Doom ones which I'm loathe to do. We may be stuck with this little annoyance.
If any expert happens to read this I'd love to get an opinion.

EDIT: Here is a link to a Beta update if anyone wants to test it. mediafire download Brutal Doom Voxel Patch 2.1Beta

EDIT2: Figured out what all this stuff does. Addressed in voxel patch 3.0
Last edited by zedas on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Any updates on getting this to work in Zandronum 2.0 too?
Foxdash

Post by Foxdash »

Hi there! i'm newbie here. :o
This voxel is just great! a friend of mine show me it in your gameplay and linked me to here, and i have to try it... just perfect!
i was ondering if this vexel is compatible with Project Brutality... i've not try yet, but it must go fine.
but, aniway, what i realy wanna say is: thanks for your effort to make it, and good work! u rock.
Valken

Post by Valken »

You can use it as I've been using it with PB for a while now. Make sure to load this AFTER PB and after any other voxels addons.
Niga619

Post by Niga619 »

greeting for the author of the voxel patch for brutal doom its really awesome
well the reason im here is to tell the patch works well in the new version of brutal doom 20b but at some point at least
the candles and the Candelabras are flickering between the sprites and the voxel models
and the barrels change position if you move around them
the rest works really well so thanks again for this project
The Bright Side

Post by The Bright Side »

Niga619 wrote:greeting for the author of the voxel patch for brutal doom its really awesome
well the reason im here is to tell the patch works well in the new version of brutal doom 20b but at some point at least
the candles and the Candelabras are flickering between the sprites and the voxel models
Completely agree! I love this voxel pack, thanks so much to Zedas for making this patched Brutal DOOM version available. Hope you're still around bro -- an updated version for v20b would be brilliant!!
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Niga619 wrote:greeting for the author of the voxel patch for brutal doom its really awesome
I also love this project and hope to see it updated :)
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Same!
Specifically when you get to the "blood on barrel" state it reverts back to a sprite.
The Bright Side

Hey guys! I tried it out yesterday on v20b and did notice the candelabra flicker and blooded barrels reverting to sprites, but not the barrels jumping / changing position thing.

Just to be sure, did you guys use the latest 2.1 beta for this patch? Zedas posted it on July 22nd (scroll up), and it's a bit easy to overlook. Its specific purpose was to fix the barrel position thing, and it seems like it did the trick?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qsqgj ... -1Beta.zip

Personally, I can totally live with the blooded barrels as sprites. It's not very noticeable, since those voxels are so faithful to the sprites in every respect! The candelabra thing drives me nuts, though. It seems like poor Zedas has to fix this every time a new BD comes out :-/ Hope he'll hear our cries - or somebody who understands modding does :-)
zedas

Post by zedas »

The Bright Side wrote:Hey guys! I tried it out yesterday on v20b and did notice the candelabra flicker and blooded barrels reverting to sprites, but not the barrels jumping / changing position thing.

Just to be sure, did you guys use the latest 2.1 beta for this patch? Zedas posted it on July 22nd (scroll up), and it's a bit easy to overlook. Its specific purpose was to fix the barrel position thing, and it seems like it did the trick?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qsqgj ... -1Beta.zip

Personally, I can totally live with the blooded barrels as sprites. It's not very noticeable, since those voxels are so faithful to the sprites in every respect! The candelabra thing drives me nuts, though. It seems like poor Zedas has to fix this every time a new BD comes out :-/ Hope he'll hear our cries - or somebody who understands modding does :-)
Update incoming. I still haven't made bloody barrels yet though. I gots no skillz :S
The Bright Side

zedas wrote:Update incoming. I still haven't made bloody barrels yet though. I gots no skillz :S
Woo-hoo, that's awesome news! No big deal about the barrels... At least from me. Thanks so much, man! Can't wait :-)
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

zedas wrote: Update incoming. I still haven't made bloody barrels yet though. I gots no skillz :S
This is great news!! Look forward to it!! :)
zedas

Re: [Release] Brutal Doom Voxel Patch 3.0 (Updated 01/08/201

Post by zedas »

Update is ready. Pretty happy with how it turned out. I've tested it about a thousand times, but who knows... If anyone that tries it finds something amiss, please drop a report.

Cheers

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”