Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel Soundtrack

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheUnrealRogue

Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel Soundtrack

Post by TheUnrealRogue »

Currently under repair.
Last edited by TheUnrealRogue on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel Soundtrack

Post by leileilol »

TheUnrealRogue wrote: Music used in the soundtrack:
Title Music------------------------------ Revenge of the Cats-----------Skaven
This is descriptive enough over an unneccessarily large 1.8mb PNG screenshot of gzdoom and says everything about throwing the game's aesthetic out the window, with some "hey guys i just found future crew music!!11" pack advertised as the 'soundtrack'.
Last edited by leileilol on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This is a music patch, why does it need a huge image?
TheUnrealRogue

Post by TheUnrealRogue »

leileilol wrote: "hey guys i just found future crew music!!11" pack advertised as the 'soundtrack'.
It's not all from future crew you scrub. And what do you mean by aesthetics? Half of the people can't even get the original music to work with Deathkings.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

A public notice: "User is a suspected spambot" should only be used as the report reason if it ACTUALLY IS a spambot.
Gez

Post by Gez »

TheUnrealRogue wrote:Half of the people can't even get the original music to work with Deathkings.
If they don't read the wiki, which explicitly says about having to patch the Deathkings IWAD, then it's their loss.

[wiki]IWAD[/wiki]
Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
TheUnrealRogue

Post by TheUnrealRogue »

I don't care If you like it or not, but this post is for people who have something positive to add or would like to use the custom soundtrack. Anybody else can politely leave. Please leave suggestions, but not in a rude or negative attitude.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

leileilol's blunt about it but honestly I think I'll agree and say that I definitely don't think Future Crew music is the best fit for Hexen.

Listening to it in-game, a lot of the tracks fit the maps for about 5 seconds before either a crazy synthesizer or bass line or ill-fitting drum kit takes over the track and clashes immensely with the aesthetic of the game.

As a musician myself, I really don't think the game experience is enriched by these tracks (as good as they are, and I'm a huge fan of Purple Motion and Skaven in particular) and I think Deathkings could do with a lot better custom selection than this. Heck, maybe I should write one... *adds to insanely-long-list-of-projects.txt*
TheUnrealRogue

Post by TheUnrealRogue »

Jimmy wrote:leileilol's blunt about it but honestly I think I'll agree and say that I definitely don't think Future Crew music is the best fit for Hexen.

Listening to it in-game, a lot of the tracks fit the maps for about 5 seconds before either a crazy synthesizer or bass line or ill-fitting drum kit takes over the track and clashes immensely with the aesthetic of the game.

As a musician myself, I really don't think the game experience is enriched by these tracks (as good as they are, and I'm a huge fan of Purple Motion and Skaven in particular) and I think Deathkings could do with a lot better custom selection than this. Heck, maybe I should write one... *adds to insanely-long-list-of-projects.txt*
Thank you for your appropriate response. I guess I should look into hopefully improving it. I see what you mean too about not fitting in very well, but I think there are still some tunes that do well with their level.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

A thing to keep in mind is that the majority of Hexen's existing music is very ambient in nature, with very little rhythm section going on. There are some fairly good module songs that fit that, but that generally isn't the sort of style most demoscene musicians go for, since most demoscene music is all about spectacle, and not ambience and subdual. You'd have to dig deep. ModArchive.org might help; I seem to recall they allow a search by genre.
XanderK9
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XanderK9 »

wildweasel wrote:ModArchive.com
More like http://modarchive.org/ (and it's a cool website, by the way). :)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, fortunately, they seem to have a redirect in place, but still. =P
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

I think it's ok. The whole purpose of making a new soundtrack is to give people a new perspective to view the game from. A little bit unfitting at times, but I think the game sounds better with some sort of music to enjoy rather than complete ambience.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”