Hi-res Sprite Pack x24 / x16 for monsters

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nickelbawker

Hi-res Sprite Pack x24 / x16 for monsters

Post by Nickelbawker »

Hi-res sprite pack. Aiming for a 24x sprite pack on monsters. Everything else like items and stuff will be around 500xSmaller number in correct aspect ratio
Will release a x16 version less often as whole monsters are completed most likely.

Don't worry working on this harder now than last month a few things got released got me busy with useless crap.

What's released in this download, more is likely finished on my HDD if I am still alive;
Ammo Box 80%
Pinky Demon 3-5%
Barrel 80%
Lamp Post 90%
Armor Helmet pickup 95%
Stim Pack - 99%, could use some more shading detail I guess.

Rough draft stuff just added;
Green armor
Flame / Lava barrel
Keycards
Shot gun shells -Need ideas for the text underneath-
Barrel explosion - Scaled only no reworking has been done yet.

Other things I'm working on to go with it;
HD Fullscreen classic HUD
Vicious DooM (Custom Brutal DooM which is more vanilla than brutal while still featuring my favorite upgrades from the series)
psxMusic.pk3 - Playstation music wad in a custom arrangement that fits PC doom, thinking about working in some N64 tracks as well eventually.
Brightmaps - Going to have to mod this soon it's horrid in its current state to me unfortunately possibly due to all the mods I'm running.

Credits;
TJtownsend - for the Pinky Demon, Barrel and Lamp post.
thief666 - For the idea, although I have nuked his pack completely out of mine permanently.
Nickelbawker - Yes me, even though a lot of the current work is from TJ's pic, I have also reworked the lighting and coloring on his objects to make them look more vanilla doom.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/x24-sprite-pack-doom
Last edited by Nickelbawker on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Unholypimpin

Re: x24 Monster Sprite Pack (Maybe barrels and items)

Post by Unholypimpin »

So far it looks like all you have done is take other projects hd monster sprites and mashed them together into one wad, the result is a bunch of monsters that look really inconsistent and weird. The only thing I really see that you did was cut and paste TJtownsend's pinky to make it look like it can walk.

I really don't see this project going anywhere unless you actually have some artistic talent, because cutting and paste others work just wont work.

Good luck though, maybe you can prove me wrong and actually make this project cool.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

If you can complete all the items and sprite in the game, then you'll have yourself a fan. Copy paste or not. I really yearn for a complete high-res sprite pack, since models are just awful in older games where they don't belong. Good luck to you.
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darsycho »

Spoiler:
10/10 animation

edit:
http://i.imgur.com/vQT9qC9.jpg
btw each frame of the "pinky blocks the exit" sprite is a whopping ONE MEG.
so i couldnt imagine how massive this mod would be if this had a full spritesheet.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Darsycho wrote:
Spoiler:
"KILL ME"
Nickelbawker

Post by Nickelbawker »

Unholypimpin wrote:So far it looks like all you have done is take other projects hd monster sprites and mashed them together into one wad, the result is a bunch of monsters that look really inconsistent and weird. The only thing I really see that you did was cut and paste TJtownsend's pinky to make it look like it can walk.

I really don't see this project going anywhere unless you actually have some artistic talent, because cutting and paste others work just wont work.

Good luck though, maybe you can prove me wrong and actually make this project cool.
Partially Correct. If you would have read my post and credits you would see that you just typed the same thing in the main post.
I didn't mash anything together. This is the x8 mod pack with 1 frame of the Zombieman modified as a test and the Demon Frames which are x24 successfully, I plan to go forward with it first doing the alive animations then trying to re work Srg's gore mods as needed, Most of those I will probably only blow up x8 or x16 because they don't need x24. I might even drop the mod down to x16 if we run into performance issues on my rig which is super outdated.
Nevander wrote:If you can complete all the items and sprite in the game, then you'll have yourself a fan. Copy paste or not. I really yearn for a complete high-res sprite pack, since models are just awful in older games where they don't belong. Good luck to you.
This is the same way I feel. Even if it is mediocre. I already like the results in game so far. I'm working on the Zombieman and Demon currently.

As for the other two people size and performance doesn't matter. We need to move forward with Hi-res in the areas of DooM that is missing it. Even the Hi-res world texture pack is barely better than PS2 gen graphics when you get close to the walls. We need to care less about performance and making it work on old rigs and focus on the future or DooM is never going to change. That is what I am going for. Yeah the lighting looks horrible because it jumps back and forth there is a lot of work to be done on that demon but I still prefer it to the original myself so far.
Nickelbawker

Re: Hi-res Sprite Pack x24 / x16 for monsters

Post by Nickelbawker »

Updated the pack guys. Apologies for the low progress(wasn't working on it) I currently need help with the offsets as well everything is landing inside of the ground slightly ??

Basically all I need to do to finish the helm is get it above ground. Also why is the armor now giant on my HUD, anyway to call the old helmet to UI?

I fixed the original versions of the demon I had up btw, some how I got into the wrong colorspace while working on it 2 images still need to be fixed.

This is the problem I'm having with the UI btw.

It's just drawing the new helmet not mapping it when called to the UI via sbar.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

You'll need to create a Textures entry specifically to be used as an icon.
Nickelbawker

Post by Nickelbawker »

wildweasel wrote:You'll need to create a Textures entry specifically to be used as an icon.
If I do this I need to code something because the armoricon script pulls out, helm, green and blue armor otherwise I will have a simple icon drawn on the screen afaik.
Nickelbawker

Post by Nickelbawker »

Updated. Fixed the GUI (hereticdoom helped me) just need to convert it to 16:9.... Currently setup for 16:10.
Nicklebawker

Post by Nicklebawker »

Updating the pack right now it's over 70mb now. A lot of sprites are just a rough draft I've gone back and touched up a few as well.
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

XanderK9
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XanderK9 »

He did said in his original post that was from TJtownsend. :?
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

that one Pinky sprite took 35 hours over 8 days :P I doubt we'll ever see a full set.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

That demon animation is very inconsistent and painful to look at. Why not just stick with x8 tops?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”