Droplets - Updated 11/10/2018!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification (compatibility releases!

Postby Josh771 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Minor update here. I've now replaced the blue Cacodemon blood in the Brutal Doom compatibility version.
Josh771
formerly known as SidDoyle

Discord: josh771#7771

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification (release 7d)

Postby Josh771 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Update! I've improved ceiling blood behavior. It should no longer appear to fly up to the ceiling, there should be more of it, and larger ceiling blood spots decrease in size gradually over time to become their smaller counterparts. Planned next is blood that dissipates in liquids and colored ceiling bloods.
Josh771

Postby Average » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:51 pm

*Goes to click 'Like@ button...*

Well, since I can't hit a like button I thought I'd make a like post. :)

Thanks for your continued work on this. :)
Average

Postby Josh771 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Just a heads up: Droplets is undergoing some major revision. I'm going to be remodeling the way the mod works. You will always load the base pk3 which will contain universal DECORATE, MODELDEF, etc. info for the droplets themselves. You will load additional "patches" afterwards to add compatibility for whatever it is you're playing. This will make it much easier for me to make changes to the blood behaviors in future releases, whatever changes those might be. Might add a Strife compatibility patch or something, who knows?

Also, blood will be dissipating on standard Doom 2 liquid flats in the next release. I have also finished the ceiling blood for blue and green blood. It's been a lot of work, but I think it's worth it. Expect a release soon! :D
Josh771

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification (version 8 - Major Revis

Postby Josh771 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Alright! The latest version of Droplets (version 8) is out and it has undergone some big internal changes. No longer do the compatibility patches carry all the resources with them. Now they are light-weight plugins that simply get added to the base file. This design should make it much easier for anyone - including myself - to make new compatibility patches for droplets.

I've also added the colored ceiling bloods and dissipation in liquids, so even if you're not excited about the new moddability, you might want to grab a fresh copy. Note the new instructions for running droplets on the OP: you'll need to always load droplets_base_vX.pk3 and then whatever compatibility patches you use.

Have fun! :D
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Simulated Blood (version 8 - Major Revision)

Postby Average » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:57 am

Too cool! I'm looking forward to giving this a blast. :)

Is there a reason why the blood will only go away on Doom 2 liquids? Just curious.

*Goes off to load up droplets 8...*
Average

Postby Josh771 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:43 pm

It only goes away on Doom 2 liquids because it works with a direct lookup of known liquid flats. Basically, it checks whether the floor is "FWATER1," and, if it is, causes the blood to fade out. I can do the same for Heretic etc. if I just spend a little time adding new flats to the lookup.

Also, I'm planning a really nice clouded effect on liquids, so that it actually appears to mix into the water. We'll see if it ever happens. Then you'll have a bunch of corpses in a cloudy red mess of water on, say, Map02. Especially if you're playing with Brutal Doom SE.
Josh771

Postby DrMoney » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks for all the hard work on this, especially the compatibility mods! I'm not sure if this was known but in the SmoothDoom version at least the spreading puddles beneath bodies aren't working, everything else seems to be fine.

Also have you considered making the blood turn brown or darken after a few minutes like real blood does?
DrMoney

Postby Josh771 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:18 pm

DrMoney wrote:Thanks for all the hard work on this, especially the compatibility mods! I'm not sure if this was known but in the SmoothDoom version at least the spreading puddles beneath bodies aren't working, everything else seems to be fine.

Also have you considered making the blood turn brown or darken after a few minutes like real blood does?

Glad you like the mod; it's been a labor of love. It is my favorite blood mod, after all. :)

Yeah, there aren't any blood pools in the Smooth Doom version. I may add those add some point. Blood pools also don't dissipate on liquids, so I may need to do something about that as well.

I don't think I'll be making blood darken or change color over time, since I won't be able to do that for the wall decals (I don't believe; someone correct me if I'm wrong). My only theories are having two decals per blood decal, the fresh red one fades out and leaves the dark one, and for floor blood I'd have two decals, the fresh one overtop fades out and leaves the dark one. It's very iffy, so I won't attempt it for some time if I ever get around to it.

I've also wondered about maybe adding some blood trails on walls -- just like single droplets that run down a little ways and stop. But, like I said in a previous post, my next plan is to add neater effects to blood on liquids -- specifically, trying to make it cloud up the liquid surface.
Josh771

Postby Average » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:02 am

Honestly, this is rapidly becoming a perma-load for me. Running droplets on the wall and the blood clouding effects on liquids that you're talking about sound like good moves to me. :)

Thanks for continuing to develop this rather than just leaving it basic and moving on to the next thing. This is becoming the gold standard for blood mods... watch out nashgore! :P
Average

Postby Josh771 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:33 pm

A taste of what's in the works: Get Psyched!
Josh771

Postby RikohZX » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:11 am

SidDoyle wrote:A taste of what's in the works: Get Psyched!

Nice. Is there any performance impact or is it the same as normal bloodsplatters, just with different graphics and fading out immediately?
RikohZX

Postby raymoohawk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:44 am

awesome work doyle! i hope this is not a dumb question but does it work with freedoom?
raymoohawk

Postby Josh771 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:06 am

RikohZX wrote:
SidDoyle wrote:A taste of what's in the works: Get Psyched!

Nice. Is there any performance impact or is it the same as normal bloodsplatters, just with different graphics and fading out immediately?

I am noticing a performance impact when large amounts of blood fall into water right now. I am considering making a "lite" version of the base droplets file, though, and scrapping the BDSE Lite patch. Basically, Droplets Lite would have faster fading blood in water, fewer droplets spawned, and be an overall faster version of the mod. It will also serve anyone that wants a slightly milder version of the mod, although it will still be pretty gory.

If you'd like a description of what the blood does right now: When it first hits the water, it simply disappears. Shortly thereafter, a cloud of blood appropriate to the size of the droplet forms and expands, becoming more opaque and gently swirling. After it expands to a certain threshold, it begins to fade out while still expanding further and swirling around. The overall effect in action is something to see; I plan on getting this in a releasable state soon -- currently adding running wall bloods and making some new wall droplet artwork.

raymoohawk wrote:awesome work doyle! i hope this is not a dumb question but does it work with freedoom?

As far as I know, it should. I could test that real quick; droplets replaces no monster sprites, it only adds new behavior. I can think of no reason the vanilla "patch" would not work with Freedoom. :)

EDIT: Just tried it myself, and it looks fine. :D

EDIT 2: Just thought I'd share more of what I'm working on: New artwork and runny blood on walls
Josh771

Postby Cacobus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Hello SidDoyle,awesome job so far,are there any plans for implementing green blood eventually?BTW thanks for your hard work.
Cacobus

PreviousNext

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches