Droplets - Updated 11/10/2018!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Updated 11/23/2016

Post by Josh771 »

If you download the newest droplets .pk3, the cartoonish blood pools have been done away with. Blends with the other floor blood a lot more nicely this way; you were quite right about the clash. I'm going to leave them as flat colors for now, until I can find some way to circumvent the awful flickery rendering business that happens when two flat models occupy the same space.

I could easily add a DEATH script to make the player drop blood pools just like monsters. I'll go ahead and add that now. Still haven't gotten around to looking at GMOTA just yet, but I intend to. :)
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Well honestly, having a blood pool have the outer edges be a shade lighter, or have alpha might help it look better, this is why i think the drops look thinner, because its not POOLING up, so its thinner, it instead splatters in a thin coat, where bleeding out would build up, and be slightly thinner on the very edge perhaps. OR, to prevent issues of the flicker, make the outer edge have a low alpha layer, while the middle is solid, so it looks a bit more dynamic, but when it piles up, they wont flicker.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I'd love to have alpha in my blood pools, and I'll attempt it again. I seem to remember alpha not rendering correctly with models forever ago, but I'll try it and see if it pans out.

Also, if you download droplets_v14.pk3 right now I've added pooling and giblets for the player as well. ;)
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

SidDoyle wrote: I seem to remember alpha not rendering correctly with models forever ago
You mean like the small droplets? Because they are transparent...

Anyways, I think having like, the outer most edge 170 alpha, and 1 pixel more being 200 would do quite well for this effect, just enough so the pool looks like more than just a blob like shape of red.

also, awsome, I love giblets.

Btw, a challenge for you, can you make herps, derps, and yokai still "bleed" black particles, but not make blood splatters on walls? Kinda off how shooting a derp makes an oily smear on the wall...Or would that need to be done on vaes end?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

The small droplets are entirely transparent if your blood opacity setting is turned down. This is to do with their in-game Alpha and applies across the entire model skin; but adding transparency to the skin itself to make parts of it thinner is (still) impossible. But I've got something for you to try that I'm uploading right now. I've replaced the blood pool models with flat sprites that can support alpha channel. Download droplets_v14.pk3 again and tell me what you think. ;)

As to herps et al I can add that, but it'll take me hassling with the DECALDEFS again. Not a biggie, just tedium - I wish they'd add a way to transfer projectile translation to decals; it would eliminate the bulk of my compatibility work.

EDIT: Ugh, these new blood pools like to be visible through actor corpses, not to mention they get flickery on stairs and ledges. I'm going to have to revert back to the models I suppose.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

After further testing in HD, more issues

-in addition to the jackbootmarines dropping shotguns, smg soldiers drop zms, and semi zms are never dropped. This robs the player of many drops, really
-A few complaints with the blood pool, first off the actor size (compared to the actual size) is too big. Tbh, I think the actor size should be as small as possible to prevent the "floating blood" effect as much as possible. Second, it seems it can colide with other actors. Mainly, if I shoot a pouncing babuin, I notice the blood pool "flings" to the left or right from the babuin for some reason while the corpse keeps coming towards me.
-in addition with pools, the old code in v12 made corpses only "drop" blood when velocity was 0....any way to add this again?... if not its ok, but this looked better
-Redownloaded, didn't see gibs for zombies or imps....kinda sad, I loved a good gib spray.

I think for the zombies, you just have to redifine each and every one with the inherit / replaces tag, and then add in necessary junk in death / xdeath... but I remember trying to make a compatibility patch, and I had to end up adding in the loot drops myself for...whatever reason..maybe im just a shit tier coder...actually ya, thats probably it.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

The drops have to be added in because I suspect they've all inherited the Zombie Stormtrooper's ZM66 drops - except where I inherit from Jackboots, where every child class will drop shotguns. The blood pooling in the general droplets_v14.pk3 is much better than that in the droplets_v14_HDcompat.pk3 right now; I have yet to fix it; also the giblets have not been added to HD just yet (as you've noticed).

I think I'll work on the HD compatibility today. :)
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Updated with some minor tweaks to droplets_v14.pk3 and big changes to droplets_v14_HDcompat.pk3. The HD compatibility release has been redesigned to take advantage of the new scripted blood pools and has has its decorate considerably reduced. It is incomplete, as I still need to define new droplets for the herps, the derps, and anything with blood colors other than red/green/blue.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I like this, it sort or reminds me of doomsday engine blood particles. this also is the only mod that i know of that effectively uses floor blood decals aside from brutal doom. I would suggest improving wall decals as well, might as well right? also, i would try to make the wall and floor decals look similar.
Ideally, id nash and you worked on nashgore 2.0, with your droplets mod infused... i would probably never use ketchup mod again!

oh and your realaim mod never got an official release, did it? i feel like more people need to know about it, it really is great1
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Updated 11/26/2016

Post by Josh771 »

Maybe I should release realAim, and maybe Dark Doom along with it; I could have a thread dedicated to miscellaneous mutators.

Also, update! I've added a blood scale option and rebalanced blood amounts again - excessive is really quite... er, excessive now, so if you're running droplets on a less-than-modern PC you might want to shy away from it.
Big C

Post by Big C »

SidDoyle wrote:Maybe I should release realAim, and maybe Dark Doom along with it; I could have a thread dedicated to miscellaneous mutators.
Please do! RealAim adds immensely to HD's immersiveness and DarkDoom + any ambient music pack + HD = instant survival horror.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Big C wrote:Please do! RealAim adds immensely to HD's immersiveness and DarkDoom + any ambient music pack + HD = instant survival horror.
It might make my customary Crossfire playthroughs all the more interesting, so I agree.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I'll be sure to get a thread together for my mutators; it might encourage me to come up with more of them. For now, I've a birthday to celebrate - my own - so I'm out to eat with family. Later! :)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

:cheers: Happy birthday, Sid! Eat lots of cake!

8-)
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I've started a new thread with links to various mutators of mine. I think they should all be functional and up-to-date. If I come up with any nifty mutators in the future, I'll stick 'em there. One stop shopping for camera inertia, darkness, flashlights, and booze.

(And now the topic here returns to Droplets). :P

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”