Droplets - Updated 11/10/2018!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Development Resumes!

Post by Josh771 »

BROS_ETT_311 wrote:Any chance on a patch to use this with D4D? There's currently a bug that spawns bloodpools beneath all enemies upon starting a map. However, this isn't present when using droplets with D4T, so it might just be a D4D issue.
D4D must be insta-killing bleeding actors all over the map in that case. I could maybe add a simple check that prevents blood pooling from continuing when the corpse actor is no longer existent. Development on Droplets has slowed down a bit as of now, but I can add that to my to-do list. :wink:
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

I like this Droplets mod. I think it's a wonderful blood mod. Keep it up!
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

This is a great mod, but there's one big problem with it - MAP06 of Doom 2. The game slows to an absolute crawl when the Spider Mastermind is being crushed. This happens on Beautiful Doom, when Beautiful Doom is turned off, and in older versions as well. I'm guessing it has something to do with the ceiling blood drops? If there's any way to fix this, that'd be wonderful.

ETA: Looking at actorlist in the console, the culprit seems to be the huge amount of blooddroplets and ceildrippers that spawn when the Spider Mastermind is being crushed. I saw over 2000 and over 500, respectively. But I'm not sure there's a way to fix it besides enabling "mild blood amounts" and a limit of 500 on blood drops, unless you can get the Zdoom developers to change the way blood is spawned when an enemy like the Spider Mastermind is being crushed.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

snackerfork wrote:This is a great mod, but there's one big problem with it - MAP06 of Doom 2. The game slows to an absolute crawl when the Spider Mastermind is being crushed. This happens on Beautiful Doom, when Beautiful Doom is turned off, and in older versions as well. I'm guessing it has something to do with the ceiling blood drops? If there's any way to fix this, that'd be wonderful.

ETA: Looking at actorlist in the console, the culprit seems to be the huge amount of blooddroplets and ceildrippers that spawn when the Spider Mastermind is being crushed. I saw over 2000 and over 500, respectively. But I'm not sure there's a way to fix it besides enabling "mild blood amounts" and a limit of 500 on blood drops, unless you can get the Zdoom developers to change the way blood is spawned when an enemy like the Spider Mastermind is being crushed.
The best solution I know of for this at the moment is to just drop your blood limit to somewhere around 64 until the mastermind is crushed, then crank it back up. Droplets has had this problem for as long as I can remember, I'm afraid.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

I'm trying to remember what the blood actors work on, is it the CPU or GPU? Guessing the CPU currently because I know GZDoom is moving to implement Vulkan eventually so the GPU has more load instead of the CPU.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

All actors are on the CPU, and that includes blood actors. They're not special or anything. So far as I know there's no easy way to parallelize the deterministic nature of Doom's gamesim so that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

8-)
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Updated 10/24/2018!

Post by Josh771 »

New release today! Droplets v1.2.0!

From the GitHub release page:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This release adds a new feature, several tweaks, and an additional setting in the Droplets Options menu.

Changelog:
• Implemented new wall splats
• Improved blood fog visuals and behavior
• Randomized timing for drippy ceiling splats
• Made gibs roll in midair and bounce more
• Gibs are now affected by your blood gravity setting
• Fixed an error that spawned blood pools when nothing had died
• Added "Ludicrous Gibs" option: all deaths throw giblets!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

With developer messages on:

Code: Select all

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script error, "droplets_1.2.0.pk3:decorate.txt" line 4:
Replaced type 'BlueBlood' not found for C_BlueBloodSquirt
Script error, "droplets_1.2.0.pk3:decorate.txt" line 8:
Replaced type 'GreenBlood' not found for C_GreenBloodSquirt
Script error, "droplets_1.2.0.pk3:decorate.txt" line 14:
Replaced type 'HDBloodTrailFloor' not found for C_HideousTrail
Script warning, "droplets_1.2.0.pk3:zscript/droplets/squirts.txt" line 30:
Truncation of floating point value
Script warning, "droplets_1.2.0.pk3:zscript/droplets/squirts.txt" line 38:
Script warning, "droplets_1.2.0.pk3:zscript/droplets/squirts.txt" line 89:
Script warning, "droplets_1.2.0.pk3:zscript/droplets/squirts.txt" line 146:
Script warning, "droplets_1.2.0.pk3:zscript/droplets/squirts.txt" line 197:
script parsing took 157.46 ms

And when gibbing bad guys, I sometimes (but not always) get a crash to console:

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from RunnySpot.Tick at droplets_1.2.0.pk3:zscript/droplets/wall.txt, line 73
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Quickly! None of you saw any crashes! That never happened! Heheheh...

Bug-fix release 1.2.1

Also, I'm surprised all those floating point numbers are getting truncated. I'll check my code to see if they're intentional. As for the "replaced type" errors: those will always be in Droplets as a matter of compatibility with certain other common gore systems and specifically for compatibility with Hideous Destructor. I hate seeing those red letters on launch, but it's just a necessary evil.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Crash? What crash? I never saw no crashes. ;)

It does indeed seem to be working now. Thanks. :)
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

Oh nice, a new Droplets release.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Nice! You solved the mystery of the blood puddles!
Armaetus

Post by Armaetus »

I played a little bit with the new version and seeing the new blood splats on the wall with the dribbling down, a nice touch.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Wow. I used this mod a long while ago and it was okay, but I just tried out the update and I have to say it is rather amazing. Really nice effects with the blood hitting the wall and then slowly running down plus the ceiling drips. Very nice. Gory like Doom should be, but not crazy over the top. Is there any chance of getting the blood color to be correct on things like cacodemons/barons/hellknights? That's the only thing really missing from this that makes me not like using it for absolutely everything.

Also, there's several script error at startup that may or may not mean anything...

script error, "droplets.pk3:decorate.txt" line 4: 'Blueblood' not found for c_bluebloodsquirt
script error, "droplets.pk3:decorate.txt" line 8: 'Greenblood' not found for c_greenbloodsquirt
script error, "droplets.pk3:decorate.txt" line 14: 'HDBloodTrailFloor' not found for c_hideoustrail
talisa

Post by talisa »

ate0ate wrote: Is there any chance of getting the blood color to be correct on things like cacodemons/barons/hellknights?
there's a solution for that available =
m8f wrote:Try loading droplets with Blood Fixer. Droplets mod itself doesn't contain blood colors.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”