Droplets - Updated 11/10/2018!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Crudux Cruo

Re: Droplets - Updated 11/26/2016

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Congrats and happy birthday!
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Playing actually with 23th november archive release, and I must say I LOVE IT!!! :wub:

Glad a lot you found the way to transfer the blood pool colours. This is now an absolute work-of-art addon!

Very, very nice work man, and also happy birthday to you! :thumb:
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

I think this mod would be even more awesome if it had an option to make all the blood red, cause the blood of certain enemy types in some mods tends to paint the floor with rainbow-coloured diarrhea.

And yeah, happy birthday to you!
Lime

Post by Lime »

The Return of the best blood mods has returned and I LOVED It! I Enjoyed playing with it.
- Also happy Birthday!
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Updated 11/28/2016

Post by Josh771 »

Just released Droplets: Red Edition! It has all basic functionality plus wall decals from individual droplets; the only catch is that the blood is never translated. So, if you play a game or mod that uses only red blood, try Red Edition for slightly improved support. This isn't a compatibility release, so any mods that use their own blood and gore systems - especially different color bloods - will still need direct compatibility releases.
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Updated 11/29/2016

Post by Josh771 »

Update today! I've reintroduced the old behavior from Droplets v12 where blood would fly away from bullet impacts, but it's still WIP and might not work entirely correctly. So far, tests with hitscan weapons show it to be fairly reliable, and there are aspects of the Doom engine (like rectangular hitboxes) that prevent me from getting a perfect angle from attacker to victim.

I've also eliminated the "Gib Factor" option, as it is no longer necessary to inform Droplets how much damage a monster must take to gib. I have rewritten relevant portions of ACS and DECORATE to employ GetGibHealth(), so now it's just a matter of turning "Spawn Gibs" on or off.

I'm contemplating adding a scripted - possibly DECORATE, actually - blood dripping system for freshly injured actors so they'll leave spotty trails of blood. I'd like some feedback on the idea before I go ahead with it; could maybe make it optional.

Also, these newest changes apply only to the Standard and Red Editions; compatibility releases have fallen behind, I must admit. I'll see about getting HD compatibility up to date, as well as maybe working on some new compatibility releases.

@someone64: Sorry for ignoring your request for so long, but I was still refining features of Droplets in general. I just downloaded the latest GMOTA and will investigate a possible compatibility release for it after I've updated the others.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Droplets - Updated 11/28/2016

Post by Bodhisattva »

SidDoyle wrote:Just released Droplets: Red Edition! It has all basic functionality plus wall decals from individual droplets; the only catch is that the blood is never translated. So, if you play a game or mod that uses only red blood, try Red Edition for slightly improved support. This isn't a compatibility release, so any mods that use their own blood and gore systems - especially different color bloods - will still need direct compatibility releases.
Hell yeah! Just checked the red edition in HXRTC Project and Colourful Hell — works just fine. No more floors painted like a twister mat! :D
Some of the wall splashes are still coloured blue/yellow/green/purple/etc though, but that's not a big deal, especially considering that this isn't a compatibility release.
Last edited by Bodhisattva on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Heh, it's fine. It's not like you were ever obliged to do compatibility patches anyway. :P

Also, I think blood dripping would look nice if it was more of very lightly spurting and came from the part you most recently shot on the enemy. Also, I have a feeling blood sounds could get annoying (the current sounds feel a little odd already to be honest) if you shoot a large crowd of monsters without killing them and there would just be an incessant torrent of dripping noises.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Someone64 wrote:Heh, it's fine. It's not like you were ever obliged to do compatibility patches anyway. :P
Yes, but I sort of implied that I would investigate it and I'd like to keep my word, however precarious it may have seemed when I said it. :P
Someone64 wrote:Also, I think blood dripping would look nice if it was more of very lightly spurting and came from the part you most recently shot on the enemy. Also, I have a feeling blood sounds could get annoying (the current sounds feel a little odd already to be honest) if you shoot a large crowd of monsters without killing them and there would just be an incessant torrent of dripping noises.
Perhaps I should make blood splatter silent; it's already quite attenuated, but I could scrap it altogether as the player should rarely hear it as is. Even when you can hear it, it doesn't sound quite right. I started using splat sounds from Rise of the Triad, but they don't really work as well as I'd hoped.

Hmm, I might be able to use user variables and A_Warp to make the drips keep their position relevant to the place shot - maybe even track monster angle and use a bit o' trig to keep it juuust right.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I think a higher quality sort of wet slapping sound would work better than the sound of meat which is currently what it sounds like.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

heres a thing i did, if you want to use it. i'm running droplets with colourful hell.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Oh my. Thanks! I think I'll stick that on the OP to replace that terribly out-of-date one. Doesn't hurt to showcase each other's work. ;)

EDIT: So, watching your video, I must admit I share your gripes:
  • 1 • I will have to create compatibility for pretty much any mod that uses MENUDEF, unless there are new features for merging menus of which I am unaware.

2 • Wall splatters really should be uniform. I'm toying with the idea of implementing some wall splatters the same way as I've done floor splatters, but they won't use decals and will likely stick out at corners. The ideal solution here would be a flag that allows projectiles to transfer their translation to their decal, but that solution doesn't exist.
These are problems Droplets has encountered from its conception, and I'm still always looking for ways to twist ZDoom's arm and give me what I want. I've been happy to find ways to implement universal blood pooling and giblet tossing - even if they aren't perfect methods. If I could only find a way to pull off the wall splatters through some manner or another of hackery, I would. Maybe someday. :?

Either way, nice showcase of Droplets. The issue with the splatters appearing from behind sprites is a long-standing issue with GZDoom and transparency; I personally use Droplets with full opacity to eliminate that problem.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

i think i'll do that! glad you like the video! also, so my video isn't showing prominently, you may want to put an image before it. the way zdoom forum code works is it shows the first image.

here is an interesting image i found and resized for you that i think describes your mod perfectly :)
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Wow, updated from v13 to v15 in just few days! Gonna try the newest version at once... :rock: :yup:

Please keep the good work SidDoyle! :thumb:
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Well, it's not like v15 really means "version 15.0", it's more like the 15th significant release. If I were to reversion it, I'd probably call this something like "3.0" :P

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”