Droplets - Updated 11/10/2018!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Updated 11/29/2016

Post by Josh771 »

Just corrected a bug and re-uploaded. If you've noticed blood squirts spawning at the feet of monsters, this was due to a bad shortcut I was trying to make with A_Warp. The problem is (hopefully) fixed.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

SidDoyle wrote:Update today! I've reintroduced the old behavior from Droplets v12 where blood would fly away from bullet impacts, but it's still WIP and might not work entirely correctly. So far, tests with hitscan weapons show it to be fairly reliable, and there are aspects of the Doom engine (like rectangular hitboxes) that prevent me from getting a perfect angle from attacker to victim.

I've also eliminated the "Gib Factor" option, as it is no longer necessary to inform Droplets how much damage a monster must take to gib. I have rewritten relevant portions of ACS and DECORATE to employ GetGibHealth(), so now it's just a matter of turning "Spawn Gibs" on or off.

I'm contemplating adding a scripted - possibly DECORATE, actually - blood dripping system for freshly injured actors so they'll leave spotty trails of blood. I'd like some feedback on the idea before I go ahead with it; could maybe make it optional.

Also, these newest changes apply only to the Standard and Red Editions; compatibility releases have fallen behind, I must admit. I'll see about getting HD compatibility up to date, as well as maybe working on some new compatibility releases.

@someone64: Sorry for ignoring your request for so long, but I was still refining features of Droplets in general. I just downloaded the latest GMOTA and will investigate a possible compatibility release for it after I've updated the others.
bleeding monsters sounds awesome, but hard. good luck!
i'm perhaps not understanding, but what does dropletsred do that normal droplets doesn't?
I'm noticing that only red gibs spawn when exploding, if at all. is this normal? (with colorful hell)
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Crudux Cruo wrote:bleeding monsters sounds awesome, but hard. good luck!
i'm perhaps not understanding, but what does dropletsred do that normal droplets doesn't?
I'm noticing that only red gibs spawn when exploding, if at all. is this normal? (with colorful hell)
Droplets Red should add wall decals for any airborne droplets that hit a wall; this is a feature the standard edition cannot have because I cannot transfer the translation of the blood droplets to their impact decals (hence no wall decals in normal droplets). The reason I made Droplets Red is in case someone just wants red blood; in that case, I can afford them a little extra functionality. It isn't perfect, and for anything where blood color is an important visual component of gameplay I would have to recommend the standard edition of droplets.
Crudux Cruo

Re: Droplets - Updated 12/03/2016

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Now that i know what i'm looking for the red version is really cool! its a shame the there's nothing that can be done about that, but thats life i suppose. I'm assuming it's the same thing with the gibs?
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Updated 12/03/2016

Post by Josh771 »

So I just discovered something that was mildly upsetting. Someone has been maintaining their own branch of Droplets without ever contacting me about it. Now, they are at least crediting me, and I would likely have given them my blessing, but... It's a matter of principle.
Crudux Cruo wrote:Now that i know what i'm looking for the red version is really cool! its a shame the there's nothing that can be done about that, but thats life i suppose. I'm assuming it's the same thing with the gibs?
The gibs are red because I didn't want to "mix" blood colors in the Red Edition. I just decided to go all-or-nothing; it would be sad to have blue droplets leave red stains on walls, etc.
Josh771

Re: Droplets - Updated 12/10/2016

Post by Josh771 »

Long overdue fix today for MENUDEF; Droplets did not include a "Network Options" menu because its menus were based on a much older version of (G)ZDoom.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Well, I have tried latest releases of Droplets v14 and v15... and I think I'm gonna stick to v14, 'cause I feel the v15 blood behaviour is somewhat... strange. :?

Don't know why, but the blood in v15 doesn't scatter like in previous releases; furthermore, it's like its being spawned at a too low height, if not directly on the ground. Anyone else has noticed it?

If positive, a fix for next release would be cool...
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Hexereticdoom wrote:Well, I have tried latest releases of Droplets v14 and v15... and I think I'm gonna stick to v14, 'cause I feel the v15 blood behaviour is somewhat... strange. :?

Don't know why, but the blood in v15 doesn't scatter like in previous releases; furthermore, it's like its being spawned at a too low height, if not directly on the ground. Anyone else has noticed it?

Spawning on the ground? That was a bug I'm pretty sure I squashed a good while back. Let me mess around on this end with it for a bit - were you using the standard edition or red edition?
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

SidDoyle wrote:
Hexereticdoom wrote:Well, I have tried latest releases of Droplets v14 and v15... and I think I'm gonna stick to v14, 'cause I feel the v15 blood behaviour is somewhat... strange. :?

Spawning on the ground? That was a bug I'm pretty sure I squashed a good while back. Let me mess around on this end with it for a bit - were you using the standard edition or red edition?
I use the standard edition in conjunction with my own mod, HXRTC Project. Please check v14 and v15 with it, you'll see the difference...
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I'm afraid I get this just from running your mod. :?

Code: Select all

Script error, "HXRTCPROJECT_V4.5.PK7:actors/renegademarines.txt" line 32:
Expected '(', got 'PLAY'.
What version of GZDoom do you use/build your mod on?
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

SidDoyle wrote:I'm afraid I get this just from running your mod. :?

Code: Select all

Script error, "HXRTCPROJECT_V4.5.PK7:actors/renegademarines.txt" line 32:
Expected '(', got 'PLAY'.
What version of GZDoom do you use/build your mod on?
The latest stable one, v2.2.0. (I use the 64bits version in my laptop, but 32 bits also should work OK):

http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7165
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Well, I develop Droplets for the latest GZDoom Git builds - not always the bleeding edge, but I usually never fall more than a few weeks behind. The latest stable release is plainly unsupported; I don't know what sorts of new functions or fixes Droplets might depend upon and I don't keep track of it. That might be related to the problem some way or another.

I might have investigated compatibility if HXRTC had specific problems with Droplets that didn't occur in vanilla gameplay, but I can't guarantee that Droplets even works in v2.2.0.

I need to add to the OP that only the latest GZDoom dev builds are supported. Sorry about that; maybe using an updated build will eliminate the problem?
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

SidDoyle wrote:Well, I develop Droplets for the latest GZDoom Git builds - not always the bleeding edge, but I usually never fall more than a few weeks behind. The latest stable release is plainly unsupported; I don't know what sorts of new functions or fixes Droplets might depend upon and I don't keep track of it. That might be related to the problem some way or another.

I might have investigated compatibility if HXRTC had specific problems with Droplets that didn't occur in vanilla gameplay, but I can't guarantee that Droplets even works in v2.2.0.

I need to add to the OP that only the latest GZDoom dev builds are supported. Sorry about that; maybe using an updated build will eliminate the problem?
Oh I see, didn't know that, so then that changes everything I suppose... :melancholy:

Anyway, both one and the other (talking about v13 and v14) work fully OK with last stable GZDoom, 'cause there are no warning or critical messages on console at starting the game, and blood behaviour look good, too. Also then I'll have to try v15 with some 2.3 dev build and checking it out...

Thanks for your attention! :)
enderandrew

Post by enderandrew »

I get a few warnings with this:

Script warning, "droplets_v15.pk3:decorate/ceiling" line 160:
Truncation of floating point constant 359.900000
Script warning, "droplets_v15.pk3:decorate/ceiling" line 186:
Script warning, "droplets_v15.pk3:decorate/ceiling" line 212:
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

enderandrew wrote:I get a few warnings with this:

Script warning, "droplets_v15.pk3:decorate/ceiling" line 160:
Script warning, "droplets_v15.pk3:decorate/ceiling" line 186:
Script warning, "droplets_v15.pk3:decorate/ceiling" line 212:
Those are, I believe, new warnings which previous ZDoom releases did not inform me of. I've been noticing them lately, too, and have just been procrastinating fixing it. For the most part, Droplets should still work just fine, but... if I'm using floating point numbers with functions that accept integers, I probably need to revise some part of the code. I may get a fix uploaded at some point this week. ;)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”