Droplets - Updated 11/10/2018!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification (release 6)

Post by Josh771 »

It will and it won't. Monster-specific features (like extra blood on gibbing and pools forming underneath corpses) will not work when you introduce new monsters. However, the basic functionality of the blood when you shoot something will still be there. Just load droplets_v6.pk3 before you load any monster replacers, so that my mod doesn't overwrite the new monsters.

EDIT: Also, new release 7 is up. I've added the unanimously requested ceiling blood effect, although it's not so pronounced as in ketchup. Blood doesn't fly upwards very much, so you'll only really notice it in short corridors, and even then you may miss out on it. It's honestly a work-in-progress, as I feel it could be improved.
Josh771

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification (release 7b)

Post by Josh771 »

I've made some minor tweaks (released as version 7b) to blood trajectory and appearance. Blood should have a cleaner appearance now where there are many overlapping puddles. I've also introduced a more vertical trajectory to blood droplets again -- I know it was previously requested that the blood spray more outwards than upwards, but I'm just experimenting here. It can always be changed back.

Play around with it and give me your thoughts; suggestions and criticism help to grow the mod, and the occasional encouraging word keeps me going. :)
Josh771

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification (release 7c)

Post by Josh771 »

Update (also, triple post)! I've made a new compatibility version of the mod that has fewer calories and won't break as many mods if you load it after them, so now you can even use droplets with monster replacers and some gameplay overhaul mods. There are also minor fixes for the full version, so you should probably get that too (especially if you play Heretic or Hexen).
Average

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification (release 7c +compatibili

Post by Average »

Hey. I haven't had a chance to mess around with 7c but having played with 7b I noted that sometimes the blood that ended up on the ceiling kinda looked like it 'floated' up rather than being a high speed splatter. Almost like a bubble slowly rising. Looks a bit weird.

I was also just wondering if you've managed to get any further with regards to making the blood vanish from liquid surfaces?

Regardless, good work so far and I'm really enjoying it. :)
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I haven't really put any work into getting them to disappear on liquid surfaces yet, but as far as the ceiling blood floating up: the behavior is mostly an adaptation of the behavior from ketchup. I was originally using a high speed, more responsive method to spawn ceiling blood, but with a tiny setback. It could spawn on sky ceilings, if you were in an area with a low F_SKY ceiling (like Doom's E3M1).

I hope to improve the ceiling blood eventually, but for now I may turn my attention to trying to get the blood to disappear on liquid surfaces (if at all possible). May just have to check the flat with ACS and remove it after a quick lookup on a table of known liquid flats.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Is this mod compatible with BrutalSE Doom?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Skrell wrote:Is this mod compatible with BrutalSE Doom?
I'm afraid not, although I wasn't certain whether or not droplets_compat.pk3 would run with it. I just tested it, and even it doesn't work with BDSE. However, I'm currently working on a compatible version for Smooth Doom and I may as well make one for Brutal Doom SE while I'm at it. It will take some work, but hopefully over the course of the next week or so I'll have something to show for it.
Josh771

Re: Droplets - A Blood Modification (compatibility releases!

Post by Josh771 »

Heh, I realize I just got done saying it might take me some time, but... :D

Check the OP! I've just released my first BDSE compatibility "patch," as well as one for Smooth Doom. They may still need testing and I realize they could be improved, so give me some feedback if some part of it doesn't seem to be working quite right. The Brutal Doom patch doesn't replace blue/green blood yet, but you can expect another update at some point to remedy that.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

SidDoyle wrote:Heh, I realize I just got done saying it might take me some time, but... :D

Check the OP! I've just released my first BDSE compatibility "patch," as well as one for Smooth Doom. They may still need testing and I realize they could be improved, so give me some feedback if some part of it doesn't seem to be working quite right. The Brutal Doom patch doesn't replace blue/green blood yet, but you can expect another update at some point to remedy that.
wow! thank you ! your mod looks to go down in history as one of the best!
mallo

Post by mallo »

Works in Strife.
Dele

Post by Dele »

awesome mod, working well with doomrpg with bdoom SE combined.

Is there a way to make the blood stick around longer though? it seems to disappear after a minute or so
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

mallo wrote:Works in Strife.
Heh, thanks for confirming that (I assume you used the general compatibility version). I thought I'd forgotten a game when I made the original mod for Doom/Heretic/Hexen. I may do some work with special XDeath blood for Strife monsters and add that to the standard version.
Average

Post by Average »

SidDoyle wrote:
mallo wrote:Works in Strife.
Heh, thanks for confirming that (I assume you used the general compatibility version). I thought I'd forgotten a game when I made the original mod for Doom/Heretic/Hexen. I may do some work with special XDeath blood for Strife monsters and add that to the standard version.
If you're thinking of doing that would it be a lot more work to do something similar for Harmony too? Nothing's ever made for Harmony!
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Average wrote:
SidDoyle wrote:I may do some work with special XDeath blood for Strife monsters and add that to the standard version.
If you're thinking of doing that would it be a lot more work to do something similar for Harmony too? Nothing's ever made for Harmony!
Well, I've never been a fan of Harmony. I suppose I could look into it, but let me ask first: have you tried using the general compatibility version of droplets with Harmony?
Average

Post by Average »

No worries if you're not really into doing it. Don't let us nippy people turn this into a chore for you! I did try the compatibility version and it did nothing. I presume that means a lot of work so I wouldn't bother if I was you. Thanks for replying anyway. :)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”