Here! HD Titles for Doom 1, 2, TNT, Plutonia, Heretic, Hexen

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Here! HD Titles for Doom 1, 2, TNT, Plutonia, Heretic, H

Post by NeuralStunner »

I'm a bit sad to not see a well-done (I.E. not from the box art) rendition of the pre-expansion Heretic title. I use an autoload to replace the expansion title because I think it's less interesting.
Cataflexia

Post by Cataflexia »

Nash wrote:Don't use MENUDEF because whenever ZDoom updates it (which can happen quite a bit) your mod will be unsynchronized. Also, any ZDoom mods that provide their own MENUDEF will overwrite yours completely.

As I said, all you need to do is replace the graphics Doom used for the main menu stuff. Here are a few in case you don't know where to look (in doom.wad and doom2.wad):

M_*** (example, M_NGAME, M_OPTIONS etc)
WI*** (WIPAR, WISUCKS, WIF, WIENTER etc)
CWILV** (all of them)

Might be missing a few others, too tired to think right now but you can easily find them on your own.
Let me see if I'm understanding right:

I need to modify the doom.wad, doom2.wad, plutonia.wad and tnt.wad?

But the problem with this is that the IWAD will be altered, and this is a bad solution to improve the look of the doom menus.

I'm right?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

No, you do not need to modify IWADs. You will, however, have to hand-assemble the menu graphics that need replacing, since Doom's menus were not assembled from a font like Heretic and Hexen's are.
Nash

Post by Nash »

No, don't modify the IWAD. Open up your IWADs, look for the appropriate graphic lumps inside them and copy + paste them into your WAD. Modify them from there. DON'T alter your IWAD.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

What about strife?
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

wildweasel wrote:No, you do not need to modify IWADs. You will, however, have to hand-assemble the menu graphics that need replacing, since Doom's menus were not assembled from a font like Heretic and Hexen's are.
Alternatively, you could replace the [wiki=MENUDEF]MenuDef[/wiki] entries for the main menus, giving them text to use instead of images.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

With all this high-res'ing going on in here, I had to do some myself. These may have been done before and mine may not be up to par with the rest of the HD stuff, but at least now you can read it and tell it's newer. The amazing HELP screens! Haven't seen them done before and I decided to make these with only Pixlr and MS Paint! I don't own Photoshop or have GIMP or any reasonable editing software to make these look really good, but I hope you guys can appreciate my effort.

They were made in the style of the originals, so they will be mirror images pretty much, even down to the spacing.

Doom 1 (Ultimate Doom) - http://imgur.com/1d7ELeA
- Should be named "help1.png" and placed into a folder search path, such as into the graphics folder.
- Changed the order of the movement controls because having turn right below run was driving me nuts.
- Background image is the same one as in this HD titles pack for Ultimate Doom.
- Fonts used: DEFUSED for "HELP" and Arial Black.
Spoiler: The new HD image
Spoiler: The old one to compare
Doom 2/Plutonia/TNT - http://imgur.com/IN3ole7
- Should be named "help.png" (no 1) and placed into a folder search path, such as into the graphics folder.
- Background image is the same interpic as used in the titles pack for Doom 2.
- Fonts used: Arial Black.
Spoiler: The new HD image
Spoiler: The old one to compare
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

I really like this mod but PLEASE PLEASE remove the "high res" in game GUI as the default one in zandronum looked much better IMO and i love everything you have here BUT that. It's really annoying to see the graphics OVER your gun .
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Any chance of whipping up something for PSX Doom TC? :)
noonecares

Post by noonecares »

The HD Skull won't work for me, I tried different ports (GZDoom, Zdoom, Zandronum) and they had the HD title and en_doom graphic but the skull was still the old one. This isn't much of a problem but I don't know why I can't get it to work.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Here's hoping for an update to this awesome mod soon! ;)
noonecares

Post by noonecares »

The HD fonts won't load in Doom games because Doom uses actual textures for the menu options (New game, pause etc..), so everything you need to do is to arrange letters in the right positions, put them in your WAD and then rename them to the game's texture names, hope this helps and you update the mod and have it behave this way (In long story short you need to replace the menu option textures themselves). I did it in paint since I have no idea what I'm doing with the other editing programs and they lost the transparency due to the fact I'm too lazy to get some proper editing software and learn how to use it.
Nickelbawker

Post by Nickelbawker »

Ah this is relatively new. Found this on google images as I was going to do this now I don't need to yay!
Also thanks this looks great!

I think the best intro would be these mixed with PSX which I am working on.
noonecares wrote:The HD fonts won't load in Doom games because Doom uses actual textures for the menu options (New game, pause etc..), so everything you need to do is to arrange letters in the right positions, put them in your WAD and then rename them to the game's texture names, hope this helps and you update the mod and have it behave this way (In long story short you need to replace the menu option textures themselves). I did it in paint since I have no idea what I'm doing with the other editing programs and they lost the transparency due to the fact I'm too lazy to get some proper editing software and learn how to use it.
Nash wrote:Doom's main menu stuff uses actual pre-built graphics instead of individual font glyphs, that's why your high res font isn't being shown. You'll have to replace the graphics.
GZDoom.pk3 dbigfont.lmp - This is where the episode name low res font comes from... Brutal DooM and GZDoom seem to change the menus a bit
.... Not sure if we can scale this image and recreate it and the coords will just work or not though. -I tried doing this just now failed miserably GZDoom wouldn't boot-

The hiresdoomfont.wad from 2009 or so seems to work for everything else accept the episodes and the main menu page which still use either ^ or the wad.

Here are some scaled menu texts, they look better but not hand painted or HD yet. Just scaled with one of the best scaling methods.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-JgZF ... sp=sharing

I deleted the GUI and one of the fonts because it conflicted with mine, you can replace them by combining the original OP wad with just the images out of this wad
noonecares

Post by noonecares »

I made the graphics specifically (The level names are TNT's, not D2's (example: first level is called System Control and not Entryway)) for TNT, but if you guys are not lazy you can export the letters out of the WAD, make the level names (It's possible in paint lol), rename the level name graphics so they replace their low-res predecessors, drag them back into the WAD and there ya go.

Download
Nickelbawker

Post by Nickelbawker »

noonecares wrote:I made the graphics specifically (The level names are TNT's, not D2's (example: first level is called System Control and not Entryway)) for TNT, but if you guys are not lazy you can export the letters out of the WAD, make the level names (It's possible in paint lol), rename the level name graphics so they replace their low-res predecessors, drag them back into the WAD and there ya go.

Download
Is that font referenced from a DooM III or another id game?

I feel its a little off of the original font. The 2009 font is closer but has no detail to it.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”