[Release] JP HUD Final (new update as of Dec. 2023)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jpalomo

Re: [WIP] JP HUD v9 (now on GitHub)

Post by jpalomo »

Triple post and a bump for an update. I've released a new version. It adds text scaling separate from the bar scaling. So now you can have giant text and a small bar. I've also reorganized the menu a bit. Downloads are on the first post.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Wahey, cool job my friend! Downloading now... :cheers:
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

I've added customizable alpha translucency to the enemy health bar graphics and text. I didn't update to a new version yet, but you can get the changes through github.
NeoSpearBlade

Post by NeoSpearBlade »

This looks really cool and I want to use it.

The problem is that my version of ZDOOM is outdated (v2.7.1) so the mod automatically doesn't work because it cannot recognize the new SBARINFO commands.

Here's the thing.
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/ wrote:These are unofficial Git builds. Remember these builds are beta-quality software - use at your own risk!
See that quote? That's why I'm stuck on v2.7.1. I much rather wait for the official release than use the beta versions because of that quote. That and I don't want to update ZDOOM every 2 weeks*.

So until ZDOOM is properly updated**, I'm SOL at the moment. :cry:

Open to reveal additional information for the asterisks.
Spoiler:

Last edited by NeoSpearBlade on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

NeoSpearBlade wrote:
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/ wrote:These are unofficial Git builds. Remember these builds are beta-quality software - use at your own risk!
See that quote? That's why I'm stuck on v2.7.1. I much rather wait for the official release than use the beta versions because of that quote. That and I don't want to update ZDOOM every 2 weeks*.
That's legal boilerplate that you will probably see on literally anything that is given away for free. "This software comes with NO WARRANTY", et cetera. Don't be intimidated by legalese.
NeoSpearBlade

Post by NeoSpearBlade »

Well, it turns out that my version of GZDOOM is able to run this mod* so I guess I'll set it for that.

Now that I'm able to run and use the mod, I do have some things to say.
  • 1. I like being able to change the font for the enemy health bar but the selection of fonts are quite small. Having more font choices would be nice.

2. Speaking of fonts, I'm having a somewhat difficult time reading the NARKISIM font on the status bar, regardless of color choices**. While I can change the font by editing the sbarinfo.txt, I would like to be able to change the font the same way as the font for the enemy health bar. Is it possible to do this?

3. You mentioned in the README that resolutions below 640x480 are not supported and that's fine but as my default resolution is 1024x768, the fullscreen HUD is too small for me to read. The problem is then accentuated by the fact that unlike ZDOOM, GZDOOM cannot maximize the game window and while you can manually resize it, it has no effect except creating black voids of nothing.

With that said, the fact that the option "Stretch FullScreen HUD" doesn't do what it says on the tin, regardless of my set resolution, bothers me. Sure, it works when the resolution is dummied out in sbarinfo.txt but doing so breaks the status bar by making it invisible and everything else with it, which I don't want.

Is this an ongoing problem or is it something else?
Now, as you also mentioned in the README, any changes made in the settings can only happen once a tic has passed (except for the status bar color, that's takes about a second or 2 for it to change for me) but it was quite annoying that I have to open the main menu, open the options menu, open the HUD options menu and then open the JP HUD options just to change a minute detail in the settings.

So I created a keyconf.txt with shortcuts to the menus (yes, plural) and that made changing the sizes and moving the graphics much easier and faster.

The file containing the keyconf.txt should be attached below. Just load it after the mod and set the key bindings as it has no default key binds. Nothing else has been changed.

However, here's another problem. I want to contribute to the mod (as I just did) but I don't want to create a GitHub account just to add a .txt to an existing project*** so consider this as an add-on for this mod. However, if you like what I created, then by all means, add it to the main mod.

Open to reveal additional information for the asterisks.
Spoiler:

Attachments
JP HUD v9Key.pk3
(272 Bytes) Downloaded 128 times
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

I'll check it out when i get out of work later. If everything is OK, I'll add it and give you credit.
Edit:
Done. I added default binds in there for good measure. By default, the keys are / * - on the numpad. Regarding fonts, I can definitely add more fonts. I just have to figure it out first.
NeoSpearBlade

Post by NeoSpearBlade »

jpalomo wrote:Done. I added default binds in there for good measure. By default, the keys are / * - on the numpad.
Yay! I have now officially helped the development of a DOOM mod! :biggrin: It's now a matter of time until I release my own mod(s).

BTW, my bindings are J K L on the keyboard.
jpalomo wrote:Regarding fonts, I can definitely add more fonts. I just have to figure it out first.
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage Image ImageImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage*

I was actually gonna do that myself outside of this mod using this image but you beat me to it.

As for fonts, well, I have a few PWADS with custom fonts if you don't mind suggestions. Let me go check them and I'll get back to you.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something, an update about the possibility of being able to change the font in the status bar the same way as the font for the enemy health bar.

Apparently, sbarinfo.txt cannot read cvars therefore, changing the status bar font using ACS is not possible until someone adds the function of being able to read cvars in sbarinfo.txt. If this is indeed the case, that sucks.....for the moment.

Open to reveal additional information for the asterisk.
Spoiler:

jpalomo

Re: [WIP] JP HUD v10 (now on GitHub)

Post by jpalomo »

Version 10 is now released. This adds a new font, and allows you to configure the alpha amount of the enemy health bar. Also included are keyboard shortcuts for the menu to make adjusting settings quicker and easier. Unfortunately, this will probably be my last release until next year (personal life is going to get very busy soon). I will still accept pull requests and patches as long as they work.
NeoSpearBlade wrote:As for fonts, well, I have a few PWADS with custom fonts if you don't mind suggestions. Let me go check them and I'll get back to you.
I wouldn't mind adding more fonts. I'd prefer that they be in a [wiki=Composite_font]composite format[/wiki], as those are easier to edit.
NeoSpearBlade wrote: EDIT: I forgot to mention something, an update about the possibility of being able to change the font in the status bar the same way as the font for the enemy health bar.

Apparently, sbarinfo.txt cannot read cvars therefore, changing the status bar font using ACS is not possible until someone adds the function of being able to read cvars in sbarinfo.txt. If this is indeed the case, that sucks.....for the moment.
This is possible, though I don't really have much time to work on this. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out, since there is already an example in the main mod. You would need to use ACS to read the CVars, then give an appropriate dummy item. In sbarinfo, check for said dummy item and use a different code block with the specified font.
jpalomo

Re: [WIP] JP HUD v11 (now on GitHub)

Post by jpalomo »

I've started this up again. New release available on the first post. I've increased the range of the enemy health bar detection to 8192 (from 1024), matching the range of hitscans. I've also added another keyboard shortcut for the alpha menu. I updated the graphics for the narkisim font as well as the standard status bar. If you don't like the new ones, I uploaded an addon to replace them with the old status bar graphics. To use it, simply load it after the main file. There are a few minor improvements not worth mentioning. As a result of these changes, you will need to download a recent git build. Anything after November 22 2015 is fine.

Also, the screenshots are very outdated now.
4thcharacter

Re: [WIP] JP HUD v12 (now on GitHub)

Post by 4thcharacter »

Pardon the bump, when this mod is used on the newest versions of GZDoom, the descriptions in hud menu gets messed up.

Also, I liked the old appearance of the health bar more. Is there a way to revert to that?
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

4thcharacter wrote:Pardon the bump, when this mod is used on the newest versions of GZDoom, the descriptions in hud menu gets messed up.

Also, I liked the old appearance of the health bar more. Is there a way to revert to that?
The hud menu relies on some code that should be in the language file of zdoom. I'm assuming it was removed from the latest release because of some bugs it had. It should be available from the latest git build though.

As for the graphics, i can't do much until i get out of work.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

It's okay, I have an old version from last year that works perfectly fine and has the simple rectangular enemy health bar that I like.
jpalomo

[Release] JP HUD Final

Post by jpalomo »

I've officially released the final version of this mod. It adds damage numbers, similarly to Xaser's DamNums mod (used with permission, see the credits). I will not be updating this anymore, unless someone finds a bug that needs fixing. With this new update, ZDoom support has been dropped. Use a release version of GZDoom or QZDoom instead.
jazzmaster9

Re: [Release] JP HUD Final

Post by jazzmaster9 »

I noticed that Spectres and enemies flagged with transparent dont show healthbars, is this intended? Or maybe a possible bug.
If it is intended, how can make them show a health bar?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”