Hexen Music Remaster [DONE] & SFX Remaster [WIP]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Hexen Music Remaster [DONE] & SFX Remaster [WIP]

Post by Xeotroid »

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey, I'm working on a new version of this mess and this thread is no longer being updated. Stay tuned in this new thread that contains all of my musical covers.

Download latest version (1.4):
For use with ZDoom and child ports:
http://bit.ly/HexenMusicGameplay
For listening only (fully tagged and properly named):
http://bit.ly/HexenMusicListening

Before downloading, you can listen to it on YouTube, here:
Spoiler: Videos
Spoiler: Changelog:

I was playing Hexen and I thought that this dark fantasy game could use some good sounds, so I started collecting and editing sounds and began making a mod that enhances the sounds of Hexen.

What are current features:
  • Replacing old sounds with high quality ones
  • Footsteps sounds for player for each flat (9 sound categories assigned to each flat)! Thanks to The Zombie Killer for his library
  • Many sounds get more sounds that are randomized
  • Added and changed player sounds, each class has its own sounds!
  • Inventory pickup sounds based on the picked item (eg. Quartz Flask makes a sound like picking up a glass bottle)
  • Monsters emit looping breathing sound, in addition to normal "active" sounds.
What's going to be added:
  • Korax's taunt lines (that's gonna be hard!)
  • Using better sounds than those being used now.
Download latest version (v. 1.2):
http://bit.ly/1vryBYn
Spoiler: Videos (trailers, examples of features etc.):
Spoiler: Old Versions + Changelog:
P.S.: This is my first Doom (well, Hexen) project that I have released or shared info about, so I don't really know how to do a good presentation of it, so if you have some tips about the project or this thread, then please write 'em here in this thread, thanks! ;)
Last edited by Xeotroid on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:00 am, edited 32 times in total.
Valherran

Re: [WIP] Hexen SFX and Music Remaster

Post by Valherran »

It would probably be better if the impact sounds from the weapons had a little more "oomph" to them, especially the Fighter's attacks. Other than that the sounds are pretty good!
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

splendid, sounds superb it's a shame not many have seen this.
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

New version 1.1!
Changed some sounds, added few features, more info and download in the main post!

Thank you for feedback, I reached 30 downloads with the first version, write what would you like to add next or to change some sounds. :)
Cire

Re: [WIP] Hexen SFX and Music Remaster [V. 1.1]

Post by Cire »

1.0 sounded good, but 1.1 sounds even better, nice job! :)
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

based on the video, it seems that weapons like the cleric's mace and fighter's punch/hammer make "Slash" sounds when you hit an enemy, i think they should do more of an "Impact" sound, anyways, imma keep this mod on autoload for hexen, nice work.
Biosyn

Post by Biosyn »

Sounds are great, but I'm really interested in what you plan to do with the music. Already you've done a great job with the music (that menu theme at the end...). Would love to hear a remastered track for this game, especially for the Effluvium, Dark Crucible and Winnowing Hall.

Keep up the good work.
acidhoez

Post by acidhoez »

i dont really care for the sounds aspect of this project, but so far i really like the remixed songs, good luck.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

This is fantastic so far. Welcome to my autoload.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

As much as I'd like higher quality sounds for Hexen, many of these are pretty much ripped right from Oblivion and Skyrim. It keeps making me think I'm in the wrong game. :?
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Ah, two games still stranded in my gaming backlog, so I hadn't noticed.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

This is REALLY REALLY impressive and actually makes me want to go and install Hexen again!! Keep up the great work! These sounds add a ton to the feel of the game IMO!
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

Thanks for the responses. I didn't work on this mod for a long time, but I hope I'll be able to release a new version.

It is true that many sounds are from Elder Scrolls, and particularly the ones from Oblivion are somewhat overused (or overheard? :D), even though I edited many of them. I'll try to make it better and newer versions may sound completely different. And thanks again! ;)
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

New version of both Sound and Music remaster!

This is probably the last version of SFX remaster for now, but I'm definitely going to finish the music, hope you enjoy it! :)

EDIT: Okay, I noticed that Sacred Grove and Hypostyle tracks are both bugged in that a note stops too early. This will be fixed in the next hub release. Please write here if you notice some other glitch in the newest release! Thanks.
acidhoez

Re: [WIP] Hexen SFX and Music Remaster [V. 1.2]

Post by acidhoez »

i am in love with the music holy shit, good job

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”