[WIP] Software Brightmaps - Serpent Rider's Heretic Pack

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bitterman

Re: [WIP] Software Brightmaps - Updated with Lost Soul

Post by Bitterman »

These are pretty awesome, these work since my computer doesn't support the shaders needed for actual brightmaps. (Yeah, my computer is a bit ancient.)
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Thanks! Glad you can find a use for my project :D. Oh and, as for your ancient computer- IMO you are not missing much (modern games mostly suck, again just my opinion though)
Serpent rider

Post by Serpent rider »

I had used your technic to make sprite brightmaps and , i am sure the script is right , but the brightmap spawns beneath the sprite even if its offset is 0.
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Upload the wad file where you did that, or describe what you did exactly and I'll see where the error is.
Serpent rider

Post by Serpent rider »

LICHBMAP.wad
Here it is
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Your sprites do not have correctly set offsets. That is the first problem I notice. I fixed that for you, check if it works now. If not, I will look more closely for other possible problems.

Edit: I made a mistake. I modified the offsets, but they are still wrong. Hang on a minute.

Edit 2: Basically what you need to do, is open up your heretic.wad and check the sprite offsets for the iron lich sprites, and then modify the offsets of your brightmap sprites to match them. The offsets of the sprites, not the offsets in the code.

Edit 3: Here, this should work 100% now

By the way, the brightmaps are great.
Attachments
LICHBMAP_modified.wad
(26.56 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Gez

Post by Gez »

SerbianDoomer wrote:Oh, that is serious. I forgot to define the weapon slot for my plasma rifle and BFG replacement... Hotfix coming up.
You should use a [wiki]WeaponGiver[/wiki] instead of redefining the weapon.
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Gez wrote:
SerbianDoomer wrote:Oh, that is serious. I forgot to define the weapon slot for my plasma rifle and BFG replacement... Hotfix coming up.
You should use a [wiki]WeaponGiver[/wiki] instead of redefining the weapon.
Thanks, it might be better to switch to that. I'll keep it mind for next update.
Serpent rider

Post by Serpent rider »

SerbianDoomer wrote: By the way, the brightmaps are great.
Thanks , next is the disciple of D´sparil.I will try to finish the whole heretic...
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by kevansevans »

This is pretty sweet dude, gives a really nice effect to the game. I may have to borrow this for my mod.

Few thing to point out though, it doesn't look like the effect actor is in perfect sync with the parent actor, I can see at times where the effect actor will hold its frame for one unit frame, then change into whatever the parent actor is. I haven't looked at your code or anything, but I can assume you intentionally built it so they were supposed to be synced. Another thing I ran into was that the effect actor doesn't disappear every time when the parent actor dies, and shown here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/du7z9z5zaqc23 ... .42.44.png

I tried to replicate it, but to no avail.
Spoiler:
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

I think that bug might be fixable by adding
TNT1 A 0 A_KillChildren
at the start of each actor's death sequence.
Serpent rider

Post by Serpent rider »

brightmapsheretic1.wad
The brightmaps for Disciple of dsparil, iron lich and heretic ammo .
I had worked on them whole night.
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

kevansevans, thanks and I quite know what you mean and such bugs have been plaguing me since the start. I'll do what I can to fix.
Oh and
Spoiler:
The Zombie Killer, that has occurred to me, however the original actor and its brightmap are not in master/child relationship. The brightmap views the original actor as its target. And on a side note I am opposed to the killing of children :P.

Serpent rider, I'll update the first post with your brightmaps to bring them to more attention.
Tomicapo

Re: [WIP] Software Brightmaps - Serpent Rider's Heretic Pack

Post by Tomicapo »

Your Brightmaps are awesome!!! I really like your job. ;)
Fishytza
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: [WIP] Software Brightmaps - Serpent Rider's Heretic Pack

Post by Fishytza »

kevansevans wrote:Few thing to point out though, it doesn't look like the effect actor is in perfect sync with the parent actor, I can see at times where the effect actor will hold its frame for one unit frame, then change into whatever the parent actor is. I haven't looked at your code or anything, but I can assume you intentionally built it so they were supposed to be synced. Another thing I ran into was that the effect actor doesn't disappear every time when the parent actor dies, and shown here

*image showing the sync problem*
SerbianDoomer wrote:...however the original actor and its brightmap are not in master/child relationship.
[wiki]A_RearrangePointers[/wiki] might help. (Should have told you about it sooner, but I forgot. Sorry.)

Basically you can flip off SXF_SETMASTER's restriction to monsters by using A_RearrangePointers to establish master/child relationships. (E.g. you can have something as nutty as a missile be a monster's master, and have it kill the monster with A_KillMaster when it explodes...)

My idea to fix this would be to give BMapEffect (the base class) a 'Spawn' state which looks like this:

Code: Select all

Spawn:
		TNT1 A 0 NoDelay A_RearrangePointers(AAPTR_DEFAULT, AAPTR_TARGET)
		TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(256, "DoEffect")
		Stop
And for each subclass of BMapEffect, rename 'Spawn' to 'DoEffect' and remove NoDelay where ever it's set. (It's not that your code will stop working if you didn't remove them. It's just that the console would be full of errors saying that NoDelay should only come right after Spawn: And having the console full of errors makes it look "unprofessional" and gets annoying IMO)

Now, most monsters would simply need to call [wiki]A_RemoveChildren[/wiki](true) in their 'Pain' and 'Death' states. Some monsters, like the LostSoul and HereticImp, would need to call this in their 'See' state as well because that's the state they jump to when ramming into something (it's hard-coded). However...

This won't work with D'Sparil (Sorcerer2) and the Heresiarch because they are masters to the monsters they spawn. These two would need special treatment. Right now I don't have any ideas...

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”