[WIP] Demonicron (v. 0.3.3 -IDK Edition-)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SerbianDoomer

Re: [WIP] Demonicron (A graphic revampment mod)

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Hellstorm Archon wrote: Also, I can PM you a PLAYPAL called contrast3.wad to add finishing touches.
If you are going to be putting in a new palette, may I suggest pal_plus.wad (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16492)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

These sprites look like Doom 2 versions of the Doom 3 monsters. Interesting.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I like this!

Some suggestions:

- the demons' death animations and corpse frames still look very much like they've still got eyes.
- maybe add a little beige blotches or something to the zombiemen? They're a little too perfectly grey, like some kind of robot or Elder Scrolls dark elf or something.

I'm tempted to ask if I can use the SRG2 sprites for Hideous Destructor's demons.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

He did say it was a resource wad and that you could use it with credit.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

This mod looks absolutely amazing!

The PSX sound mod will work wonders for this.
Hellstorm Archon

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Here are a few suggestions for monster designs:

Revenant: Try to emulate the original model for Doom II as closely are you can, but with green glowing eyes.
Cacodemon: Instead of its usual teeth, it should have needle-like teeth.
Lost Soul: Its color scheme is that of Realm667's Terror, but with mandibles like that of D3's Wraith.
Pain Elemental: Similar to the Tortured Soul (R667), but its mouth is completely sewn shut, and its eye spits out Lost Souls.
Arch-Vile: It wears a robe made out of human skin, and has a color scheme and design akin to the Diabloist (R667), but with its head on fire, and explodes into a pile of smoking gibs upon death.

I know it might be a lot of work, but I'm just throwing some ideas out there.
Nash

Post by Nash »

SerbianDoomer wrote:
Nash wrote:Oh isn't that that Silent Hill-y texture pack someone was working on? Good to see those textures used in real levels!
Actually it's Doom 2 Recolored by DefconRazor32 (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=31364) - IMX said so in the first post.
IMX wrote:Okay, speak up. What's with those weird wall textures, a glitch?

Nah, not at all. It's just a quick texture pack I made using this special texture compilation done by DefconRazor32. I used this (and the PSX Doom music WAD) in the screenshots and the gameplay vid just for show. BUT, if you guys are interested in it, I am willing to expand that thing and subsequently release it for everyone to use it, so that's why I left the poll at the beginning of this thread for you guys to vote on this!
Yeah that's the one I was talking about! Author acknowledged the Silent Hill influence. My bad for missing the details in IMX's post though, my previous post in this thread was made way late last night!
IMX

Post by IMX »

Thank you all for the replies! They're greatly appreciated
SoloSpaghetti wrote:Nice stuff! :D Now the only thing left is a custom HUD, you should really think to add one to your mod in my opinion. :)
Probably; actually one of my goals is to develop a different HUD and a different face. I have this concept for Demonicron's Doomguy which I should probably try
Woolie Wool wrote:I like some of the monster edits but the grime is way overdone on the textures, it looks like cheap Photoshop filters instead of being a natural part of the texture, and the new color scheme often completely messes up the way certain maps use color (for instance, in E1M6, the room with the computer walls and the pinkies, basically everything looks wrong because the whole architectural theme of that room revolved around the gray and blue colors).
I can see your point. You see, I wasn't expecting to use the custom texture pack for the whole project, since I was just experimenting a little bit with the "dark/lugubrous" aspect which I'm trying to achieve. The texture pack won't be, by any circumstance, an integral part of this graphic mod, and after collecting the feedback expressed in this very thread I am leaning towards putting a download link to it but just as an optional thing.
ArielBoss wrote:Also, you have in mind replacements? Like edits of this monsters, like hair, or a dammaged suit. Or in case of the demons some scar or a different shape of mouth or eyes. Dont lose the vanilla spirit, but make it more deep for the player, and less linear.
Thanks for the suggestion! And yes, I am leaning towards taking advantage of ZDoom capabilities and randomize the look (and just the look) of certain monsters. It would probably be something minimal, like a smaller spike or a missing chunk of rotten flesh, who knows? :lol:
-Ghost- wrote:Are you going to change the monster sounds as well to go with the darker sprites?
There's a high chance of revamping some sounds for certain monsters, but nothing too big. Once again, a "sound" addon would probably be conceived for this project, since I want to keep the core of this project as a graphic replacement mod and nothing more.
SerbianDoomer wrote:Also regarding the devourer, some people (myself including) play with sv_fastmonsters set to 1. Since the devourer is just a sped up demon if fastmonsters speeds it up even more it will be impossibly fast and if it doesn't then it will be the same as the regular demon. Might I suggest that you give him some unique ability, such as charging from a distance or jumping at you instead of just a speed upgrade.
Thanks for the suggestion; and yes, somehow I expected this to become a huge annoyance for those who are accustomed to -fast, I should put myself into solving this, there must be an option to disable +ALWAYSFAST on a monster when playing on -fast; any DECORATE/ACS masterminds out there that can help me to fix this?
Hellstorm Archon wrote:Also, I can PM you a PLAYPAL called contrast3.wad to add finishing touches.
Thanks! I wasn't planning on messing with custom PLAYPALs, buuut if I like what I see, I will think about it. Also, thanks for the suggestions for the Doom 2 monsters! :)
Valherran wrote:These sprites look like Doom 2 versions of the Doom 3 monsters. Interesting.
Some designs are inspired by how the regular monsters looked on D3, I can't deny that. I am going with a mixed approach, combining both official/fanart renditions of the monster plus a few things collected from many surreal artists. Once again, if you guys can suggest me some ideas and concepts regarding the monsters, it'll be greatly appreciated
Vaecrius wrote:- the demons' death animations and corpse frames still look very much like they've still got eyes.
- maybe add a little beige blotches or something to the zombiemen?

I'm tempted to ask if I can use the SRG2 sprites for Hideous Destructor's demons.
Thanks for the suggestions (I'll keep those in mind), and also feel free to pick whatever you like, man!

Also, I should mention that I modified the OP with some minor things I forgot to add yesterday, plus some grammar fixes. Once again, thank you all for the feedback!
Matt
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Awesome. Not sure what I want to replace, if anything... I'd like at least one of the HD demon/spectres to use the vanilla sprites. (EDIT: devourer=babuin)

Some possibilities for the devourer:

- scaled down so it's ~30 units high. On even ground, any projectile monsters behind it will shoot over it instead of infighting.
- "TNT1 A 10 A_Wander" chase state until it's within ~200 units of its target in which case it uncloaks and starts making a beeline for the target.
- occasionally shoots imp balls, or starts shooting imp balls if injured past a certain point.
- regenerates health.
daimon

Post by daimon »

this looks interesting... keep the work!
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

IMX wrote:a different face
I feel rather called upon. :P Have you got somenthing in mind? :)
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I like the texture pack, but it does feel a bit too.. 'noisy' to look at. If you're willing to take your time and clean them up, you'll do us all a favor. Some of us wants a grittier Doom after all these years. In today's standards, Doom has more color than Quake (and no, people. Quake's colors all end up to brown at some point. Just like Doom).
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

I was expecting the Cacodemon to be more unsettling... I'd like to see if you could apply some facial reconstruction to him if possible, see if you can't come up with something a little more unnerving than what you currently have. Same with the Hell Knights/Barons of Hell, to a lesser extent. I like the color scheme you're going with a lot for all of these though.

Any plans to use Dehacked to put at least some of the monster changes in the vanilla version too? You could at least make Spectres faster that way.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Death Egg wrote:I was expecting the Cacodemon to be more unsettling... I'd like to see if you could apply some facial reconstruction to him if possible, see if you can't come up with something a little more unnerving than what you currently have. Same with the Hell Knights/Barons of Hell, to a lesser extent.
You missed this:
I should note that there's a bunch of sprite edits contained in the ZDoom version, which are for the Baron of Hell, the Hell Knight and the Cacodemon. Those three just are simple color translations for now, but their current colors are pretty much what I'm about to pick for their upcoming sprite revamps.
Death Egg

Post by Death Egg »

Yeeeeep. So I did. Whoops.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”