Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doorhenge

Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Post by Doorhenge »

Wanted to get back into Hexen recently and am still amazed there not a Widescreen wad for it. So I made one! - using rotsprite and a lot of cutting and pasting.

The reason there's blank sprites in there is so there wont be seams in GL mode. Like how there's a seam in the top of the Hexen lifebar, and one in the Heretic skullcaps.
Attachments
WideID.rar
(208.75 KiB) Downloaded 4677 times
Last edited by Doorhenge on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikk-

Re: Widescreen Hexen Heretic Doom

Post by Mikk- »

Excellent work! Certainly something to throw into the autoload section of the .ini!
Doorhenge

Post by Doorhenge »

That's right. autoload is better practice then the skins folder so you wont get a conflict.

I'm sorry, I totally forgot about that. I changed the download to reflect that.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

good resource! i was hunting for some widescreen resources since my laptop's screen is that, but this one's far more extensive than the stuff i could find by myself.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Nice work!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

One of the rules for having a project is to provide screenshots. (As some of us won't download a thing without seeing what exactly we're downloading)
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Hellser wrote:One of the rules for having a project is to provide screenshots. (As some of us won't download a thing without seeing what exactly we're downloading)
To be fair, unless you have absolutely no imagination, you should be able to visualize the weapons of Heretic and HeXen that get cut off in widescreen, then extrapolate what the mod looks like from there. After all, that's all it does, is fixes that cut-off.
Last edited by twinkieman93 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hellser wrote:One of the rules for having a project is to provide screenshots. (As some of us won't download a thing without seeing what exactly we're downloading)
The exact text of the rule you're citing:
2) Just to clarify from the above rule: you need to post screenshots! If a project thread is posted without screenshots, we'll give you 24 hours to get them added, or else your project thread is going to get locked. Not everybody wants to download a large-ish WAD file and puzzle over what exactly is changed, so it helps to show people what it looks like without making them read a wall of text or download a file and be surprised. The only exception is if the mod has already been released in the thread's first post, at which point screenshots are merely suggested, not required.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Hmm. See, I didn't know about that exception. Oh well. I'll give it a try when I have the chance. :P

Edit:
Nifty. I'm going to modify your wad (for personal use) -- adding in the rest of the SSG frames / sound. Since your did provide a single frame for the SSG, Ultimate Doom loads up the SSG as a weapon. Out side of that; great work. Now I have a reason to play in 16:9! (Now to get other people to do the same thing too...)
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Hellser wrote:Now I have a reason to play in 16:9!
Aye. I used to not play Heretic or HeXen in 16:9 specifically because of how various sprites, like all of the Fighter's Weapons, some of the Cleric's, and Corvus' staff experience some rather obvious cut-off. Now I can, and my eyes thank me, because having a high resolution is always a plus when it comes to not having to squint to see far away things.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

I always forced the aspect ratio. It's okay. But I prefer to have everything Widescreen friendly. Seems modders today are taking that into consideration.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Hellser wrote:I always forced the aspect ratio. It's okay. But I prefer to have everything Widescreen friendly. Seems modders today are taking that into consideration.
Eh, I don't like forcing the aspect ratio because it makes everything look fat and bloated. Not that I'm usually turned away by such things... *looks at self* ... but I know it isn't supposed to look like that and it just make me feel weird.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

twinkieman93 wrote:
Hellser wrote:I always forced the aspect ratio. It's okay. But I prefer to have everything Widescreen friendly. Seems modders today are taking that into consideration.
Eh, I don't like forcing the aspect ratio because it makes everything look fat and bloated. Not that I'm usually turned away by such things... *looks at self* ... but I know it isn't supposed to look like that and it just make me feel weird.
Oh man, remember playing game boy/game boy color games on the game boy advance? Being able to stretch it widescreen or just default.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Lava Grunt wrote:
twinkieman93 wrote:
Oh man, remember playing game boy/game boy color games on the game boy advance? Being able to stretch it widescreen or just default.
Oh gawd, don't remind me. The horror... the horror! D:
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

omg thank you so much for this..

I played Hexen in 16:9, but that fists of fighter were really really ugly.

Thank you for this.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”