Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 11/28/22)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Marphy Black

Re: Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 3/20/

Post by Marphy Black »

Cataflexia wrote:Do you make one day the same work with Hexen? :(
A similar release for Hexen is planned, but progress has been and will be on hold as I've become busy with a number of other matters. Sorry to say, but given how much free time I can dedicate to the project and the scale of Hexen, a release won't be happening for a while.
PSTrooper wrote:I've found another sprite discrepancy on the Wolfenstein SS rotations. Frames 5 through 8's legs don't mirror properly during the walking rotations.
Good catch! Looks like this discrepancy dates back to the original Wolf 3D sprite implementation. Seeing as this fix is for a very rarely seen Easter egg monster, I don't think it warrants a full 1.5 version update, but I'll see about releasing a small intermediary addendum in the mean time along with a few other tiny fixes that have cropped up. As for a full 1.5 update, I'm still somewhat hoping the 3D Realms guys can release their Doom beta and that said beta contains new useable graphics, but I suppose that's just a matter of waiting right now.
Marphy Black

Re: Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 3/20/

Post by Marphy Black »

Hello, ZDoom forums! Just dropping in to let you all know that I've updated this project today to version 1.5 to include Romero's recently released missing angle rotation sprites for the Zombieman, Shotgun Guy, and Doom Guy. A few other minor fixes and missing SS pain rotations have been added as well, courtesy of PSTrooper. Special thanks to Onslaught Six for getting a response from Romero on Twitter.

You can find the latest download links in my original post, or you can just get the current download of v1.5 here:

(Outdated, see original post)

And here is the trimmed down changelog highlighting the 1.5 changes:
Spoiler:
Example preview of the newly added rotations:
Last edited by Marphy Black on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 12/13

Post by Xtyfe »

Thank you :D
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Excellent! :D Really neat to see something that was a part of the original be revealed now, two decades later. Almost like unlocking hidden content. Also love the SS's new pain frame rotations, that's a huge plus.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Nice. Now I won't have to autoload my own rotation wad. I'm glad to see another update.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

These zombie rotations Romero posted have made their way into the next version of Random Deaths & Decoration :D I hope Gifty smoothifies the shooting and pain frames too.
GreenDoomguy1999

Post by GreenDoomguy1999 »

I have created an alternate version of a Doomguy face with brown eyes(so far only in the form of images)(as there is an option for a sprite STFKILL1)
Attachments
STFKILL0.PNG
STFKILL0.PNG (1.29 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
STFEVL1.PNG
STFEVL1.PNG (1.32 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
STFEVL0.PNG
STFEVL0.PNG (1.3 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Hi there, Marphy. Did you have the creepy-ish avatar on Youtube? Oh and do a blue eyed Doomguy. Thanks.
Abba Zabba

Re: Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 8/30/

Post by Abba Zabba »

Great project, used it for some time. Noticed that the FCANC0 sprite had an errant black pixel towards one of the inner edges of the flame, so I fixed it.

Only other thing I think has a few funky pixels left altogether would be the both the green and the blue long, metal torches, towards the base. I'll check it out.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to set the proper sprite type before aligning.
Attachments
FCANC0.zip
(888 Bytes) Downloaded 127 times
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The god face had two dark brown pixels on both sides of his chin that just appeared out of nowhere and aren't present in any of the other frames.
Attachments
STFGOD0.zip
Made the same alignment mistake on the burning barrel, this is set and ready.
(554 Bytes) Downloaded 124 times
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I'm a big fan of this project, and have given it a home in the autoload list, great job!

I do feel like the lost soul has been overdone a bit. It looks like it's gone past the point of fixing, especially in the nose.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Re: Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 11/15

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

The Dropbox link for bmaps is gone. Can I have these bmaps, please?
unRyker

Re: Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 11/15

Post by unRyker »

Reuploaded the brightmaps on Google Drive! I will take down the link when it gets an official reupload/update.

Edit: There are new brightmaps available for download: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/6 ... nt=1775394
Kostov

Re: Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 1/27/

Post by Kostov »

Just wanted to bump this topic and let any non-English users know that the new per-glyph font system in GZDoom 3.8.0 is overrided by the vanilla-style graphics in this sprite fixing project, even when playing in another language. This means that the “Hey, not too rough.” difficulty text in GZDoom is overrided by the corresponding graphic lump in this mod, and it will remain in English regardless of which language is selected.

Still a superb resource, though. I’ve had it autoloaded for years.
Marphy Black

Re: Doom 2 & Heretic Minor Sprite Fixing Projects (upd 1/27/

Post by Marphy Black »

That's an interesting new conflict, and I don't think there's much either I or the engine itself could do to avoid it. If you're playing GZDoom with a different language option, I suppose the best course of action would be to manually modify the sprite fixes WAD to remove the M_ROUGH graphic lump.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”