Doomguy Visor Hud - NOW 4:3 COMPATIBLE

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Doomguy Visor Hud

Postby Mav3rick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:57 am

Mike12 wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:Well i try the GZdoom with Zdoom and GZdoom and work fine... but still get error line 5 with the zandronum version... no idea why :(

Ah, my mistake; it seems I renamed and uploaded the wrong file. I just reuploaded it with the right file, so it should work now.

Yup that did it.. Thanks Mike :D
Mav3rick
Need some light??

Postby Vict » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:04 am

Blue Shadow wrote:May I ask why is there a skull in the lower-left corner of the HUD?

It looks cool.
Vict

Postby Hellstorm Archon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 am

Blue Shadow wrote:May I ask why is there a skull in the lower-left corner of the HUD?

I'm thinking it should be the mug shot (the HUD face).
Hellstorm Archon
Will debase self for street cred.

Discord: Man of Doom#4046

Postby Mike12 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 am

Vict wrote:

It looks cool.

What he said. :P
Kinda also gives the impression of the OS having some sort of built-in basic AI for some stuff.

Hellstorm Archon wrote:I'm thinking it should be the mug shot (the HUD face).

That makes sense, but it would be very difficult to recolor and re-angle all the mugshot images in order to fit with the rest of the hud. Might give it a shot at some point, though.

Also, does anybody happen to know the image resolution I'd need to make the visor-frame in order for it to fit 16:10?
Mike12
Horror fanatic

Postby Orangestar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:43 am

Mike12 wrote:That makes sense, but it would be very difficult to recolor and re-angle all the mugshot images in order to fit with the rest of the hud. Might give it a shot at some point, though.

You could always make it like a little inset window, as though there's a camera inside the HUD showing Doomguy's face.
Orangestar
Now with 20% more orange in the star

Discord: Orangestar#1432
Twitch ID: orangestar1

Postby twinkieman93 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Mike12 wrote:Kinda also gives the impression of the OS having some sort of built-in basic AI for some stuff.

Makes sense. The HUD is keeping track of your overall state of well being, the integrity of your armor, and the amount of ammunition in your weapon and if applicable the amount of ammunition in your backpack should those not be the same number. If you've got AIs as a thing, having them do that would work fine.
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter

Postby xxninja666xx » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:23 am

Looks really cool. Although I'm kind of bothered that there are no actual numbers showing your health, ammo etc. Numbers AND bars at the same time would be a cool idea. Also, can this hud be used as a part of a mod (with credit given to the author of course) or is it for playing with it only?
xxninja666xx

Postby Mike12 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:45 pm

xxninja666xx wrote:Looks really cool. Although I'm kind of bothered that there are no actual numbers showing your health, ammo etc. Numbers AND bars at the same time would be a cool idea. Also, can this hud be used as a part of a mod (with credit given to the author of course) or is it for playing with it only?

Yeah, anybody can use it as they wish provided the credit stays intact. As for numbers, I originally wanted to do them too, but i wouldn't be able to make it conform to the semi-3d visor shape with sbarinfo alone, it seems. It would need something more complicated like ACS or Decorate to get that effect, i'd imagine.
Mike12
Horror fanatic

Postby -Ghost- » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Would doing that make it less compatible with things?
-Ghost-

Postby Max Dickings » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Mike12, you wonderful person :wub:. Man, I was so inspired by this concept that I immediately enlisted the help of my cousin to branch out on it.

He's made a billion awesome variations of the glass: y/n Bullet hole, a scratch, a crack, respirator (bottom part), glow effects. This is all at once (and my favorite).

What he's working on next is re-doing all the mugshot frames so it'll look like a camera is projecting his face inside the glass. Obviously he's not done as he has to clean up the background and distort it so it looks like its curved with the glass.

Made the health bar red too.

I wanted to code in the armor alternating colors between green/blue depending on either having regular or mega equipped, but that apparently involves changing the way GZDoom displays it as its "drawn bar" cannot use different graphics...? I *think*. I've only been working with all this doom-modding stuff since I saw this thread about a week ago :P

Obviously I'm going to credit the living hell out of you if we ever make a release. And I'll probably end up sending you the files anyway.

Either way, bravo.
Max Dickings

Postby Mike12 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:18 am

Thanks! And yeah, that looks cool; not sure how i feel about the cracks always being there though; perhaps if they had a lot more transparency so that it doesn't seem to obstructive/distracting? And I personally prefer the green health bar myself, but the red still looks pretty damn cool and doesn't mess with the general color scheme.

The respirator looks pretty awesome too; I'm not sure if I'd use it personally just because I like to see all of the weapon, but definitely awesome as an optional effect.

I -love- that glow effect though, and the mugshot looks like it will be awesome once it gets properly skewed to the perspective!
If you'd like, you can send me the files when you get it to a state where you're happy with it; I'll gladly list your variations on the first page for you (and perhaps even adapt them for more aspect ratios along with the original.)
I might even have'ta adopt that mugshot/glow effect for future versions :P (obviously, I'll be sure to put you guys in the credits).
Mike12
Horror fanatic

Postby Batandy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Reminds me of Metroid Prime, amazing job!
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby twinkieman93 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:28 am

I don't like the cracks. Even if they were transparent they'd be extremely obnoxious. Maybe if this was turned into a very minor modification that added visor effects from damage like the ones in other games and mods, that would be rather cool. I don't think it'd be hard to do, but I'm not an expert on that sort of thing.

I also prefer the green health bar, although the red keeps up the trope of red=health, blue=shields/armor, and yellow=ammo. It's probably because I just like green. Even better though would be if the bar turned red when low on health, or maybe make the heart flash red when near death. Or, if you don't like either of those options, make the empty part of the bar flash red when it's low.

Really, though, I'd almost like to see it all be blue, with icons next to each bar to make it clear what each is. The heart by the health, the shield by the armor, and maybe a bullet icon by each ammo bar, one with a 1 on it and the other with a 2 for primary and secondary ammo respectively. The icons flash red when a particular bar is nearly emptied, and all that good stuff.

I'm not the one making it and I've never dicked around with HUD creation before, though, so it's not really up to me.
twinkieman93
The Bullfighter

Postby Max Dickings » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:29 am

Mike12 wrote:Thanks! And yeah, that looks cool; not sure how i feel about the cracks always being there though; perhaps if they had a lot more transparency so that it doesn't seem to obstructive/distracting?

Personally I like the cracks as its a more prominent visual reminder that you're in a helmet and implies you've been in a hell of a campaign, but again he made 30 different variants to pick and choose from, I just decided to show all of them combined.

Would tampering with the "alpha" line make it more transparent? If not I can ask him to alter it a bit.

The respirator looks pretty awesome too; I'm not sure if I'd use it personally just because I like to see all of the weapon, but definitely awesome as an optional effect.

I had the same debate, but I love anything that reminds me of his sweet helmet haha.

If you'd like, you can send me the files when you get it to a state where you're happy with it; I'll gladly list your variations on the first page for you (and perhaps even adapt them for more aspect ratios along with the original.)
I might even have'ta adopt that mugshot/glow effect for future versions :P (obviously, I'll be sure to put you guys in the credits).

Sweet haha, I'll pm you for file-sending specifics.

Batandy wrote:Reminds me of Metroid Prime, amazing job!

He appreciates it, and said MP was his inspiration for it.

twinkieman93 wrote:I don't like the cracks. Even if they were transparent they'd be extremely obnoxious. Maybe if this was turned into a very minor modification that added visor effects from damage like the ones in other games and mods, that would be rather cool. I don't think it'd be hard to do, but I'm not an expert on that sort of thing.

Really, though, I'd almost like to see it all be blue, with icons next to each bar to make it clear what each is. The heart by the health, the shield by the armor, and maybe a bullet icon by each ammo bar, one with a 1 on it and the other with a 2 for primary and secondary ammo respectively. The icons flash red when a particular bar is nearly emptied, and all that good stuff.

That's a valid point, as bullet-holes already appear in Brutal Doom when you're shot. I guess in theory you could replace those bullet holes with his? And again, the cracks are also optional. He's made 30 different overlays. Regular with glow, regular with glow and respirator, regular with no glow and respirator etc etc (such a long list).

And I just started tampering with it recently so I couldn't fathom how to make those things work, but I'd like to see that too, if possible.
Max Dickings

Postby Mike12 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:31 am

twinkieman93 wrote:Really, though, I'd almost like to see it all be blue, with icons next to each bar to make it clear what each is. The heart by the health, the shield by the armor, and maybe a bullet icon by each ammo bar, one with a 1 on it and the other with a 2 for primary and secondary ammo respectively. The icons flash red when a particular bar is nearly emptied, and all that good stuff.

I'm not the one making it and I've never dicked around with HUD creation before, though, so it's not really up to me.

Making it all blue would be incredibly easy, actually! All you'd have to do is go in SLADE, extract the files for the armor bar, and replace the relevant files for the health bar with the armor bar's files. (for the ammo bars, just flip the armor files horizontally with Paint or something and repeat the process) The flashing stuff would require more coding, though.

Max Dickings wrote:
Batandy wrote:Reminds me of Metroid Prime, amazing job!

He appreciates it, and said MP was his inspiration for it.

Indeed; inspiration was a mix of Metroid Prime and Doom Alpha :P
Mike12
Horror fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Graphic/Audio Patches