[Discontinued] NC HUD v2.6.0 - September 7th, 2019

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Pachira

Re: A custom HUD

Post by Pachira »

XutaWoo wrote:
Pachira wrote:Skulltag.
There's your problem.
That's what I figured, it seems like Skulltag is incompatible with everything. I wish they updated it to the latest version of GZDoom before it died. Ah well, cool hud anyways.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Nah, Skulltag didn't exactly die.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Nash wrote:I hope you scale down the graphics so it's smaller.
If you have hud_scale off, the HUD elements will gets smaller as the resolution gets higher. If you have it on, then the elements will be scaled up to a resolution of 640x400 (I think) regardless of the actual resolution you're playing on.
Also, shouldn't the ammo icon change depending on the current weapon selected? Currently all weapons use the shotgun shell icon.
Heh, it's just a generic icon for ammo. I wasn't sure what to use as an ammo icon, so I went for the shell. Personally, I consider the shotgun as the trademark weapon for Doomguy, hence, the chosen icon.

If I ever felt like making ammo icons for the other three ammo types, I'll definitely implement it.

@Pachira: My bad. I should've mentioned in the first post that this will only work with (G)ZDoom.

Edit: A note about that has been added to the first post.
Niwatorry

Post by Niwatorry »

Cool wad, I like it!
Wanted a wad like this for long, and it fits me perfectly.
Cobining it with other several wads (ex. Doom Enhanced + any map wad) giving me a lot of fun.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

A new version is uploaded (v1.4). See first post for details.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Why is a custom keybind necessary for the all-ammo display? That's an inconvenience, and I think a simple solution for the fullscreen/status bar issues it to have one of them show the all-ammo display and the other one not. Problem solved. :P

In other news, it definitely looks nice and works pretty well now. Only trouble is that the low-armor flashing still goes on when the player has zero armor, which is unnecessarily distracting since zero armor is very common.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Xaser wrote:Why is a custom keybind necessary for the all-ammo display?
As I noted in the list of changes, it's just experimental, so I wasn't sure whether people will like it or not.
I think a simple solution for the fullscreen/status bar issues it to have one of them show the all-ammo display and the other one not.
Wouldn't that be the same as the keybind thing currently implemented, as in you need to press something to toggle between the fullscreen and status bar to actually see the ammo? :P

I think I'll ditch the whole toggle thing and just place the display up in the right corner, how does that sound?
Only trouble is that the low-armor flashing still goes on when the player has zero armor, which is unnecessarily distracting since zero armor is very common.
Noted. I think I have some sort of idea on how to fix/approach that.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, sir.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Looks awesome, just one issue I have with this and that's custom ammo types. How would they be displayed? I think the single display with a generic icon was a better fit.

But I do like the current ammo/max ammo display now, that's a plus as well as the the arms display being under the ammo counter
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Xtyfe wrote:just one issue I have with this and that's custom ammo types. How would they be displayed?
You're gonna have to provide them yourself, that's how? :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Blue Shadow wrote:Wouldn't that be the same as the keybind thing currently implemented, as in you need to press something to toggle between the fullscreen and status bar to actually see the ammo? :P
The problem is the custom keybind. With separating them, you'd neither have to bind a new key nor hold down the key to keep it onscreen.
I think I'll ditch the whole toggle thing and just place the display up in the right corner, how does that sound?
This, however, sounds good to me. :)

[EDIT]
Blue Shadow wrote:
Xtyfe wrote:just one issue I have with this and that's custom ammo types. How would they be displayed?
You're gonna have to provide them yourself, that's how? :P
No need. Tested it with Necrodoom and the ammo display works just fine. A generic icon for when one of the four primary ammo types isn't used might be nice for such a case, since it should be an easy check.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

No need. Tested it with Necrodoom and the ammo display works just fine.
Heh, I was referring to the fact that if you add a new ammo type, you're gonna have to create the graphics yourself for it.
Xaser wrote:A generic icon for when one of the four primary ammo types isn't used might be nice for such a case.
Do you have an icon in mind that fit as a generic ammo icon and easy to draw on a 12x12 canvas? Because if you do, then I have no problem implementing it.

Edit: I just thought, wouldn't an icon for the all-ammo-types display is still needed regardless. I mean, you would still need an icon for the custom ammo type(s) to be displayed in the all-ammo-types display. You can't just use a generic ammo icon for that.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Is it widescreen friendly? :D
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Ohhhhh look what you did! this HUD puts mine to shame easily :V oh well,
Well anyways, In terms of the HUD? I LOVE it one of the best I've seen so far! my eyes, erm' I mean eye is not jumping around looking at everything since all the info I need is neatly placed on the screen, I'd love or suggestions that I hope you may concider for an Optional? version. :P
- 2 quiet alarms that will help alert the player when the health bar is colored yellow and red,
- Armor and ammo counters has that same effect as the health (26 - 49 Yellow bar, 0 - 25 Red?) I'd love to see that implemented, although how it is now its still pretty cool
- This is my little gripe but I would love see a bit of interpolation? on the bar
- For the weapons that the player does not have obtained yet could the little boxes where it displays your "arms" be shaded red?

Aside from that, Mind if I use this HUD file for my little weapons mod / map pack im designing? :3
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

BlazingPhoenix wrote:Is it widescreen friendly? :D
I don't know, since I'm not versed on the whole widescreen subject. Does it have something to do with aspect ratios?
doomfiend wrote:I'd love or suggestions that I hope you may concider for an Optional? version.
There will only be one version. I'm not going to maintain more than one, sorry.
- 2 quiet alarms that will help alert the player when the health bar is colored yellow and red
Sounds are not my thing. Plus, they might get annoying for some people after a while regardless of how quiet they actually are. Besides, the visual indications are enough, IMO.
- Armor and ammo counters has that same effect as the health (26 - 49 Yellow bar, 0 - 25 Red?) I'd love to see that implemented
This won't change, I'm afraid. The health bar is special case and doing that will result in it losing that specialness (is that even a word?) and would make it even harder to notice that you're actually low on health when you have everything flashing yellow or red at once on screen.
- This is my little gripe but I would love see a bit of interpolation? on the bar
This I would love to implement, however, with the way the health bar changes colors currently, the interpolation won't work well.
- For the weapons that the player does not have obtained yet could the little boxes where it displays your "arms" be shaded red?
It's sort of there already. If you don't have a weapon of specific slot (i.e., the Rocket Launcher), the HUD won't display its number (5).
Mind if I use this HUD file for my little weapons mod / map pack im designing? :3
Not at all. That's what it is here for. :wink:

I'm sorry for turning down your feature requests, but that's my stance on them. However, feel free to do all of those features on a local copy of the HUD if you will.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

I would do that my self but I lack the knowledge of acs scripting, (Flashing warning systems, and Health alarms. :V Sadly I'm one of those people who need alarms to realize my health is in Critical conditions. and don't worry about my feature requests, I like the hud as it is already I would have loved said features but if I really wanted them I'd learn how to do it my self :P

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”