[Discontinued] NC HUD v2.6.0 - September 7th, 2019

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Tesculpture

Re: [WIP] NC HUD v1.22

Post by Tesculpture »

I have cobbled together a v1.22 patch for Heretic and Hexen, if anyone is interested.
Spoiler:
The Hexen one isn't perfect; Armour Class isn't displayed, and the keys section can only show 4 keys at once.
Spoiler:
Both also suffer from massive gaps below the weapon sprites, but apart from those problems, they seem to work.
Attachments
nchud-her.pk3
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
nchud-hex.pk3
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Tesculpture wrote:Both also suffer from massive gaps below the weapon sprites, but apart from those problems, they seem to work.
I encountered this when creating the Heretic patch for v1.30*. The only way I found to fix it, was to switch the statusbar definition from normal to fullscreen.
Spoiler: *
Fused

Post by Fused »

Blue Shadow wrote: The only way I found to fix it, was to switch the statusbar definition from normal to fullscreen.
Pretty sure this is the only way. The normal version aims the weapon a bit higher due to the statusbar filling up the lower part of your screen when you use the old one. This is also the reason this should be using the fullscreen version in the first place and not normal.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

I dig this HUD, cool stuff, I do have some feedback though.

For me at 1080p, the numbers are a a little small. Would be cool if there was an option to scale it like the GZDoom minimal HUD, or if a bigger say 25% "zoomed in" version was available.

Also, I don't think low armor should have a flashing border. If you pick up say 7 little armor points, it's a bonus. Armor in general is a bonus, so calling attention to low armor to me is just distracting.

And a newbie question, what is the blue bar on the bottom left, and what does it say? Looks like AS, does that stand for something? I haven't seen that change. Though having 200 health changes the health bar to blue, I've seen mention of health and blue bar in the readme, I figure this dimmer blue bar at the bottom is something else.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

JudgeGroovy wrote:For me at 1080p, the numbers are a a little small. Would be cool if there was an option to scale it like the GZDoom minimal HUD, or if a bigger say 25% "zoomed in" version was available.
If the HUD scaling option doesn't have an effect, then I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do on my end. What you can do is edit the HUD itself: In the sbarinfo.txt file, at the very top, there is this line:

Code: Select all

resolution 640, 400;
This is the base resolution set by the HUD. For reference, ZDoom, by the default, sets this to 320 x 200. Try playing around with it. See if reducing it helps with the scaling.
I don't think low armor should have a flashing border. If you pick up say 7 little armor points, it's a bonus. Armor in general is a bonus, so calling attention to low armor to me is just distracting.
In 1.30, health changes between green and red, and armor changes between green and yellow. So if you see by the corner of your eye that there is something red flashing/glowing there, then you're probably in trouble. If it's yellow, then you're not in that much trouble.

The bar frame glows subtly if it's yellow, so it shouldn't be as distracting.
what is the blue bar on the bottom left, and what does it say?
It's the [wiki=Damaging_floor#Drowning_damage]oxygen/air[/wiki] bar. Useful if you're playing maps that feature swimmable water (Threshold of Pain 2 and ZDoom Community Map Project 2, linked in the opening post, have those). Utterly useless if you're playing vanilla maps.

In 1.30, this is renamed to "Air", instead of the ambiguous "AS".
Blaskovic

Post by Blaskovic »

gonna try this looks good man keep up the good work :)
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Blue Shadow wrote:
JudgeGroovy wrote:For me at 1080p, the numbers are a a little small. Would be cool if there was an option to scale it like the GZDoom minimal HUD, or if a bigger say 25% "zoomed in" version was available.
If the HUD scaling option doesn't have an effect, then I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do on my end. What you can do is edit the HUD itself: In the sbarinfo.txt file, at the very top, there is this line:

Code: Select all

resolution 640, 400;
This is the base resolution set by the HUD. For reference, ZDoom, by the default, sets this to 320 x 200. Try playing around with it. See if reducing it helps with the scaling.
I don't think low armor should have a flashing border. If you pick up say 7 little armor points, it's a bonus. Armor in general is a bonus, so calling attention to low armor to me is just distracting.
In 1.30, health changes between green and red, and armor changes between green and yellow. So if you see by the corner of your eye that there is something red flashing/glowing there, then you're probably in trouble. If it's yellow, then you're not in that much trouble.

The bar frame glows subtly if it's yellow, so it shouldn't be as distracting.
what is the blue bar on the bottom left, and what does it say?
It's the [wiki=Damaging_floor#Drowning_damage]oxygen/air[/wiki] bar. Useful if you're playing maps that feature swimmable water (Threshold of Pain 2 and ZDoom Community Map Project 2, linked in the opening post, have those). Utterly useless if you're playing vanilla maps.

In 1.30, this is renamed to "Air", instead of the ambiguous "AS".
Thanks, I just picked up 1.22 from the OP, 1.30 is in the works?

And you gave me an idea that worked, turning "stretch full screen status bar" to on makes NC hud bigger. I hadn't used that option before since I always used the alternative HUD, which has it's own scaling options.

What I'm referring to with the armor is how when you pick up a little armor bonus, like in the beginning of Map01 in Doom2, your bar will be glowing. The "subtle bar frame glow" is what I'm referring to, for me it is distracting. And since unlike health to me low armor doesn't usually matter, I don't see the point of it glowing. If there was an option to disable that it would be cool, but if you like it there it's your thingy. Also for the record, when I have say 5 armor the bar is red and has the glow. When the armor bar is yellow it doesn't glow. So I guess having red armor wouldn't happen too often, just personal preference I'm not into the armor bar glow.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

JudgeGroovy wrote:1.30 is in the works?
Yes, it is.

And regarding the armor thing: Yes, I do understand what you meant, but just as I said, in 1.30, when armor is low, the bar, counter and frame become yellow, with the frame glowing subtly. The glow "cycle" is slower than it is in 1.22 and older versions, making it less noticeable/distracting.

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add an option to disable low states altogether -- I'll look into it.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Ah cool, right on.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Working on a Hexen patch for v1.30:

Edit: Updated the automap view screenshot; the ultimate weapon is now displayed.
FrankADG

Post by FrankADG »

Works with Brutal Doom 20b? Sorry for stupid question. Not show ammo.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Would using this patch work?
affemaria

Post by affemaria »

Wow, thanks for the link, Blue Shadow! For me all patches are working with BD20b, the official one and both non-official ones that you just linked. Although, like already have been said, in the official BD patch "all weapons have their total ammo on bottom and current ammo on top, except SSG", so the non-official patches solve this. BTW, Blue Shadow, couldn't you just put those patches made by Doctor Nick that you linked as the official ones in the OP?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

affemaria wrote:BTW, Blue Shadow, couldn't you just put those patches made by Doctor Nick that you linked as the official ones in the OP?
Added them to the OP, as well as Tesculpture's Heretic and Hexen ones.

For Doctor Nick's, I was kind of hoping he would merge them together and offer an in-game option to toggle the dual-ammo thing. But he didn't, unfortunately.
affemaria

Post by affemaria »

Thanks, Blue Shadow! Very nice to hear that. And, yeah, if those options were toggleable it would be even better. I hope Doctor Nick reads this :P

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”