Cosmetic Doom 1.8 is up!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Average

Re: Cosmetic Doom 1.4.1 is up!

Post by Average »

Thank you so much for the individual updates. I really appreciate it. It's now in my skins folder! :)

I think this mod is the best balance of the old Doom mixed with updated tweaks that really fit the traditional game play. Well done on not going overboard with 'zany' effects and out of place sounds. :)
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

I'm not gonna lie, this is a fairly decent update of Enhanced (and Enhanced was a good gameplay mod for its time). Although, I would like to relay some advice that was passed on to me from some of the guys at DoomWorld.

Try making Cosmetic Doom a real learning experience for programming and how everything works. Just learn as much as you can for your experiences with it. It's best to take that knowledge and create gameplay mods that are truly unique, like Brutal Doom, NAZIS!!, and Samsara to name a few. I'm not saying you should give up on your mod, just that you should take it as far as it can go, then build something new and unique from the skills you picked up from making Cosmetic Doom.

Although, my only real complaint is the title. It sounds like I'm going in for surgery.
DecemberMan

Post by DecemberMan »

Average wrote: I think this mod is the best balance of the old Doom mixed with updated tweaks that really fit the traditional game play. Well done on not going overboard with 'zany' effects and out of place sounds. :)
That was the point of the mod. I, personally, was looking for this kind of mod, but couldn't find it, so I decided to make one myself.
BlueFireZ88 wrote:Although, my only real complaint is the title. It sounds like I'm going in for surgery.
All the other words like Enhanced, Plus, Extended etc. were taken :p
BlueFireZ88
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

DecemberMan wrote:All the other words like Enhanced, Plus, Extended etc. were taken :p
Fair enough. I admit, at this point it is difficult to come up with good mod names.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I kind of miss when mods were gimmicky and based on a theme. =P
coolster

Post by coolster »

the only thing missing in this mod for me at least, is being able to gib dead bodies (you can destroy the hanging ones, but you can't dead bodies of enemies :P), other than that, perfect (yes most of you will probably say you have brutal doom for that but the thing is, i don't like most of it recent changes)
Ghostbreed

Post by Ghostbreed »

I prefer Comsetic over Brutal for various reasons, one is the milky smooth weapon animations. Doomguy actually loads one shell at a time into the SSG. In vanilla and BD he just slams two shells in there.
DecemberMan

Post by DecemberMan »

coolster wrote:the only thing missing in this mod for me at least, is being able to gib dead bodies (you can destroy the hanging ones, but you can't dead bodies of enemies :P), other than that, perfect (yes most of you will probably say you have brutal doom for that but the thing is, i don't like most of it recent changes)
That would take a lot of time/effort and I have lots to do in real life right now. I don't think I will be updating the mod anytime soon. Sorry.
coolster

Post by coolster »

It's okay i don't blame you, if i know what to modify myself i would've already done that :P and really it's a minor complain since the mod itself is so good
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

This is THE mod I'm going to use whenever I play traditional DooM!

EDIT (11 06 2012): I've never really cared for gore, though DooM has been the exception, and I must admit the satisfaction I get seeing the extreme deaths for the pink demon and especially the cacodemon. :twisted:
Average

Post by Average »

Been meaning to post what I presume to be a small bug for a while but kept on forgetting.

When you pick up a blue armour you can no longer pick up a green armour when the armour drops below 100. I've tried this out in all the vanilla games and some newer wads such as DTWID.

Sorry for taking so long to bug report. :)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I think that's an intended feature rather than a bug.

"the Green Armor cannot be pickup up if the player has more than 49% of the Blue Armor left (doesn't work when cheat codes to gain Blue Armor are used i.e. "givearmor", "idfa", "idkfa" etc.; summoning the armor via "summon bluearmor" and then picking it up works) [thanks to amv2k9 and Blue Shadow!],"

I was never sure on the reasoning for this though, does the blue armor provide less protection than full green at 49%?
DecemberMan

Post by DecemberMan »

By default you can pick up the Green Armor (which reduces damage taken by 1/3rd), when the Blue Armor (which which reduces damage taken by half) is below 100%. I was always annoyed when I accidentally picked up GA with nearly 100% BA. Below 50% the BA is nearly done (since the BA takes more damage while giving more protection) so I thought this threshold, instead of the default 100%, is overall a lot more practical.
Average

Post by Average »

Yeah, that does make sense. Thanks guys for the info and explanation and sorry for not reading the supplied documentation. It's the least I could've done after all the work that's been put into this. :)
Uninstall

Post by Uninstall »

Greetings Space Marine,

I do not know if it is allowed. I changed some minor things with the great weapon wad of Cosmetic Doom.
First I added 3 more bullets to the shotgun so it has now 10 total. It now fits with the super shotgun which has 20 pallets. I took the numbers out of what BD gives to you.
Second I changed the firing sound of the super shotgun, because the one of the mod creator did not fit with the animation.
Last, I changed the sprites of the machine gun to the one from Doom64 because in my opinion this one just looks more badass.

Thats basically it. All the hail goes to the mod creator DecemberMan.

Some screenshots here to the the changes:

Download: outdated 2015-01-15
Last edited by Uninstall on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”