[v1.01 released (03-03-12)] TUTNT: Take II

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DBThanatos

[v1.01 released (03-03-12)] TUTNT: Take II

Post by DBThanatos »

TUTNT: Take II (AKA "Visual Noise Edition")

The other day I decided I wanted to play The Ultimate Torment and Torture, because it's been years since I tried it last time.

But when I did, I felt something was missing. Very nice levels, with some very nice torches, particle effects and whatnot... and the weapons... and the monster projectiles... just too normal. Too simple.

So I decided I wanted to give it a little lift regarding the FX. What did I get? "TUTNT: Visual Noise Edition"

Lots of smoke. Lots of particles. Lots of noise. And I liked it.

Some more videos? Sure.
Spoiler:

What does it do?
  • Almost every weapon got a meticulous recoil effect, ensuring there is no change in the firing speed, and that the view pitch will be restored before the gun can be shot again.
  • Weapons with smooth animations (Perkristian's Smooth Weapons) + rls smooth minigun (further edited to be less "jumpy")
  • All the weapon's projectiles got some improved visuals.
  • Almost all the monster's projectiles were given some FX lifts.
  • New blood effects, and modified Nashgore trails to match the new blood sprites.
  • New bullet puffs.
  • New visual effects for the powerups.
  • New teleport fog.
  • New bullet decals.
  • New blood decals.
  • Optional sounds pack for the weapons.
  • Fixed some monster projectiles that had no dynamic lights assigned in the original TUTNT.
Is an addon PK3 that is loaded after the TUTNT.pk3 file. It will not modify any part of the balance nor gameplay in the mod. It just changes the visuals.

Downloads, please?

I have tested this a lot, and I found no issues. Yes, is noisy and it will most likely blind you during massive fights, due to the amount of smoke and particles around, but that was the intention.

Download it here (1.01) (sendspace)

Mediafire mirror (1.0) by wolfman

The only difference between v1.0 and v1.01 is the removal of some warnings when gzdoom starts, restored the comets in the sky in TNT04B and added Shinobi in the readme (credits) for the minigun base. So, no biggie.

Remember that you need the original "The Ultimate Torment & Torture" mod, which can be found over here.

Please report any bugs and try to have fun! :P
Last edited by DBThanatos on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 am, edited 14 times in total.
Tormentor667

Re: [WIP] TUTNT: Visual Noise Edition

Post by Tormentor667 »

This looks very promising, awesome to see that someine is interested in giving UTNT a twist. Do you also plan to enhance the monster's projectile gfx? Otherwise it would feel a bit inconsistent. Be sure that I will put that on the official page as additional download as soon as your finished :) - if you are okay with that
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

DBThanatos wrote:Almost all weapon got recoil via "A_SetPitch"
DBThanatos also wrote:It will not modify any part of the balance nor gameplay in the mod. It just changes the visuals.
...Uh?
rollingcrow
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by rollingcrow »

I'm pretty sure the recoil is purely for visual effect.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Tormentor667 wrote:This looks very promising, awesome to see that someine is interested in giving UTNT a twist. Do you also plan to enhance the monster's projectile gfx? Otherwise it would feel a bit inconsistent. Be sure that I will put that on the official page as additional download as soon as your finished :) - if you are okay with that
Yes. The monsters FX are also being modified, though, in a much smaller scale since it is potentially laggy as is.
Ghastly_dragon wrote:
DBThanatos wrote:Almost all weapon got recoil via "A_SetPitch"
DBThanatos also wrote:It will not modify any part of the balance nor gameplay in the mod. It just changes the visuals.
...Uh?
What? There's no contradiction.
Se7eNytes wrote:I'm pretty sure the recoil is purely for visual effect.
QFT
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

DBThanatos wrote:What? There's no contradiction.
Oh, you mean it's not that kind of recoil where you have to keep moving your mouse in order to avoid staring up at the ceiling as you're shooting?
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Precisely. Recoil as introduced in Quake.
DBThanatos

Re: [WIP] TUTNT: Take II (AKA "Visual Noise Edition")

Post by DBThanatos »

Well. It has been finished. Testing phase (which is the whole reason why I created this, so I could play it all the way through) :D

Oh, and:

Simon666

Post by Simon666 »

When are we going to get our hands on this beauty?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very cool, very very cool shit :)
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

Personally I liked the old battle music a lot more...I hope you didn't remove the old battle music in favor of the one in the video >.>
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

@Simon666: Im planning to release it at some point this week. That is, if there's no bugs found.

@Tormentor667: Thanks, glad you like it.

@Grymmoire: Not at all. That music was added post recording. I didnt touch anything but the fx. Even the new sounds for the weapons in that vid are an optional pack.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Nice! Any excuse to play through TUTnT again!
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Heheh. Well, I made this basically just for me to play again it in a visually more appealing way (for me), but then I thought about simply releasing it too. :P

Oh and...
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very nice :) By the wy, what about adding coronas to powerups like the soulsphere, the armor and similar things that feel "supernatural"?

What I also like a lot are the coronas from "Brütal Doom" (which are actually directly from Doomsday) and that they were used for the torches and also for the hud-weapons when firing. Take a look at the following thread, the first video: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920 ... that would be cool, but it's only a suggestion

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”