Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (v0.8)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (WIP)

Post by Enjay »

I don't see any mention of replacing the existing particle effects - ie fountains and sparks. solarsnowfall has made some excellent effects to cover these and there is also this if you are interested:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24632
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Minigunner wrote:Don't forget who made the bottom half of the perkristian chaingun :P --->
Actually those are my own edits, you can compare it to yours, i'm sure you'll find small differences (like the cheesy way i rotated the lower barrels and some leftover crap still remained there - maybe some day i'll do a cleanup on these)

I have a smooth animated version for the DE chaingun too, if anyone's interested.. Hmm should i open my sprite edit thread in the resources?

As for particle fountains: i made these for vanilla or close to vanilla wads to be played with GZDoom and enhanced effects, but Zdoom wads also work, so i may consider using particle fountain replacers, but first priority is to get the vanilla stuff into shape.
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

...Yeah, yours look cleaner.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Make sure you give objects that don't have any effect on gameplay +NOINTERACTION, so they don't waste processing time with physics checks, and if you're planning for Skulltag compatability, +CLIENTSIDEONLY, so it doesn't waste bandwidth synchronizing a million billion little particles between clients.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Code: Select all

Actor VisualSpecialEffect
{
  +NOGRAVITY
  +NOINTERACTION
  +NOBLOCKMAP
  +NOTELEPORT
  +ForceXYBillboard
  +CLIENTSIDEONLY
}

Actor BouncyPhysicalThing
{
  Projectile
  Mass 1
  +DOOMBOUNCE
  +CLIENTSIDEONLY
  +NOTELEPORT
  +PAINLESS
  -NOGRAVITY
  -CANBOUNCEWATER
}
I have these as base classes for all effects, with some exceptions where the flags are added directly. I think currently it is not Skulltag compatible, but if ST catches up in versions i want it to be able to run it, and it's just generally a good habit to add these flags.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Oh lordy that is gorgeous looking. Especially the Lost Souls and the plasma effects. Do the droplets of fire left over from killing an LS damage you?
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Nope. No changes in gameplay is one of my goals. You should be able to play it as you do the original.

Anyway i updated the OP with an extra video, showing off the Archvile in action (and the BFG for that matter).
Snow Fox

Post by Snow Fox »

Holy snap! :O

I hope my PC manages to run that without lag, because it's awesome!
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Today i decided to move away from the UTNT/Stronghold fire effects, and do my own very similar ones (to see how difficult it is, and what's the trick, and also i wanted to have my own sprites). I was able to create something very similar, but a tiny bit more firey looking. I used doom 3 fire sprites for the job. Also replaced the flares with a bit cleaner and more roundish flare.

Anyway a new video is in the OP, the newly made WolfSS guy sounds, and a preview of the pickup effects (if you're watching good enough you can see the invulnerability in the AV video too).
The new fire effect on Lost Souls
The new fire effect on Lost Souls
sss.png (241.84 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Awesome!
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Is there gonna be a beta of this any soon? I really wanna play with this it looks very awesome o-o
Cyberdemon531

Post by Cyberdemon531 »

Wow. That was amazing.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Cool flame effect! I couldn't help but notice, though, is the PE taking damage from the Lost Souls flames?
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Heh, yes, it's in the pain state. The flames are not supposed to do damage (everything is as in original Doom, only visuals changed). I suppose either one of his skulls bit it from behind or somewhere, or a zombieman shot it.

I'm really close to a release version now, there are only a few things remaining:
- Fixing up the HUD
- Doing something with the Floating Rock of Skull and Flames (or what) and the Candles and Skulls thingy.
- A few missing light definitions

Things that are flawed, but will stay that way for the release probably:
- Candelabra (only having one candle lit)
- Water splashes use KDiZD sprites, and are not that spectacular
- Fire trail codes are not the best. Shoot a rocket upwards, and it's fire trail will be a bit off.
- I'm not sure about some damage values. I'm using Random(3,5) for monster bullet attacks (it is mostly right, even though it has values outside the original like 4) and a plain 2 for chainsaw and fists, 20 for berserk (it feels kind of... weaker than the original, though it should be right AFAIK). I'd actually use the original code pointers, but i had to eliminate BulletPuff. Damn you, Revenant Tracer!
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Well, I must admit Im really looking forward for this project. :D

But the more polished, the better.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”