[WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mtzfire

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Mtzfire »

@Wartorn- Yeah the sprites are meant to look like art, that is, raw art, but I think we should indeed add shading in areas, to provide a more "depth-full" look, more 3d-ish I guess. Thanks for the heads up, just remember the sprites are made first, editing the final things is the last thing we do, to make sure we get them done.

-EDIT: Okay so here is a video on how it is I'm making decoration, this one is making the "Impaled Human" :arrow:
------------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmdPS44QW0
-If you have questions or trouble with the process at your trials, please ask in Youtube, not here-
-Also, the video shows a full-desktop screen, so to see some words clearly you should watch it in HD setting.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Let me post this picture again to serve as an example of what a REAL high res detailing job should look like.

This is done by Vader and what he did was basically paint over the details MANUALLY. The result is a crisp high definition sprite, not a bunch of blurry/painting-esque mess.
Vader

Post by Vader »

Heh, since Nash already posted this picture anyway, I might as well upload the most recent version (still unfinished though):

Anyway, I also think those high-res sprites here look a little goofy. It's not a bad effort, but I'd rather use the original sprites rather than the blurry versions you have here, sorry.
On the other hand, turning all the sprites into high-res versions like I did above, is more or less impossible, unless you have no job/friends or RL at all... it takes ages :P
Per-Scan

Post by Per-Scan »

^
Vader, that Pinky is looking great. Is this just a random pursuit or do you intend to do more monsters like this? :)
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

yeah. i'm only going double resolution so i finish some time in this century. if i ever did the doom graphics hi-res, i would prolly do what vader did above, and that would take forever....I do have a couple large pics of some of the clay models though, i was going to use those to speed up some detail work.
this pic is a smaller rough edit of an idea i had. the original is more detailed, and larger.
cq75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cq75 »

Vader wrote: Anyway, I also think those high-res sprites here look a little goofy. It's not a bad effort, but I'd rather use the original sprites rather than the blurry versions you have here, sorry.
On the other hand, turning all the sprites into high-res versions like I did above, is more or less impossible, unless you have no job/friends or RL at all... it takes ages :P
Not even ID drew every monster from scratch... most of them were models.

If I had the spider mastermind model, I'd definitely put it on my fireplace
Vader

Post by Vader »

Per-Scan wrote:^
Vader, that Pinky is looking great. Is this just a random pursuit or do you intend to do more monsters like this? :)
Thanks! And yes, this is just something random I started out of boredom, but who knows, maybe I'll do other sprites sometime as well...
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

JustinC wrote:yeah. i'm only going double resolution so i finish some time in this century. if i ever did the doom graphics hi-res, i would prolly do what vader did above, and that would take forever....I do have a couple large pics of some of the clay models though, i was going to use those to speed up some detail work.
this pic is a smaller rough edit of an idea i had. the original is more detailed, and larger.
Oooh i like that picture of the marine =o, where did you get it from?
Blox

Post by Blox »

To be honest, I wouldn't call the stuff I make decent art. But as the author of the sprite that keeps being stuck up our noses said himself, making things like that takes ages.

I myself take this "Shortcut" to high resolution sprites, only because it's animated monsters. With rotations and all the funk, that take quite the bit of effort to look consistent.
Now multiply the amount of effort with the level of detail you put in, and you suddenly have a no-life-only thing to do. The sprites shown only took about 2-3 hours, and that's with some small breaks to do other things.
About 1/6th of the time was spent brushing in some shadows/highlights in crucial parts, so it's certainly not a masterpiece.

By the way, I love that sprite - but I can already see that the process is tiring. Because the top part's (Spine, shoulders') highlights are 'behind' the 'skin', such little errors are usually made when you're tired of doing the same stuff (to some degree) over and over. As there is a glorious lot of dots and lines.

[/mainstuff]
The marine, as far as I can see; is a coloring of the original clay model.. A picture of which can be found on the internet. (More specifically, in J. Romero's stash of pictures.)
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

i just noticed your video. if what your doing is blurring, it would be faster to put a "cut-out" layer over your base image. then you can run your cursor around the screen quickly without worrying about bleeding.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

:lol: Well that picture is nice, but who would want to spend a lifetime doing that as their life's work? Out process is much faster, and maybe HD is more proper term than hi-res, because we don't add what's not in the original sprite, we make the sprites a higher resolution, hence the term "hi-res" :?: :?: :wink:
-Well I'd rather make more of these than try to draw over blurry sprites, because if it took forever to make 1, now multiply it times the... you know already.
-Any yes, that marine couldn't be finished, ever, since it's jsut a color of the clay model photo, and Romero doesn't have a stash of the original photos :P But if he did, then there would be hope to making those, and that clay model coloring is the best I've seen so far turned into a sprite with color :D
-Well I'll still be making these, because they're actually possible to make in a deadline :) They can actually be made in maybe a maximum of 2 years, at least more than half, with only a VERY small team :)
-Also, if detaial is drawn over the blurry sprites, it would be better to at least make it 8x the resolution :?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Don't be discouraged; complete hi def sprite paint overs (NOT automated filters) can definitely be achieved with a team of artists. Proof? Street Fighter HD.

(Okay so maybe the SF sprites aren't as complex as Doom's, there are no rotations but painting over all of the animations for all characters is still a lot of work. Plus it's not just 4x bigger, it's waaay more than that)
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

I do agree that paint overs are best, but again, the company isn't just 1 guy, and also, they are professional artists. Adding on, yes, Doom has all 8 rotations so they won't be done. If you're going to attempt, though, look at the 8x hi-res Baron, that's what would be worth the wait.

-Anyway, I don't think we will be doing paint-overs, because there's no point, if it's going to take years and years. I'd rather just ask IdSoftware to just take pictures of the models all over again :lol: OR, I'd ask for the models. Also, if you want to know what true hi-res Doom sprites are, look at DOOM2RPG sprites, they are from 2x to 4x hi-res, and they are amazing. Again, they probably did paint-overs, but notice they only made front angles, and about 2 frames :lol:
-Okay well, recreating them EXACTLY like the originals is alot faster, and can be finished, so why not do it? The only rational way to have 'Extremely' hi-res sprites is for IdSoftware to remake them, like StreetFighter had it done.

-Besides, only IdSoftware knows what the monsters are supposed to look like. The Demon doesn't even have those huge nostrils, they aren't in the sprite, they aren't in the DOOM2RPG sprite, and most importantly, they aren't even in the Demon clay model. That's what I mean. Only IdSoftware can remake the sprites in a 'mega' hi-res.
OR-contact John Romero, though I doubt he'll want to do it, for several reasons. :( Still, here: http://romero.smugmug.com/Video-Games/T ... d/Original
I'm SURE most of you know the site, and that his email is at the bottom.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Anyone can remake anything however they like. It's a little something called creative license.
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

You do realize that if we keep doing this to every hi-res sprite project thread, none of them will ever be released, right? You can't expect someone to replace hundreds of sprites with god-tier professional-quality sprites.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”