[WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JustinC

Re: [WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

Post by JustinC »

sausageman.
Doomfreak

Post by Doomfreak »

Mtzfire wrote:Imp
I think you could make the side teeth a bit longer.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Salad Viking wrote:Is the imp's mouth really going to be open that much? Whenever I look at that sprite, it's the only thing I can see...
The Imp's mouth is enormous, that's even in the regular sprite. The reason you see it the most in the large version is because it's very bright in the inside, and the outside is dark, so it stands out, and almost looks like it shouts "Look at me!"
-Maybe I should close it a bit.

-OH, actually, I was thinking of having his mouth closed, something more realistic, and only have him open his mouth during the attack. Would that be good?
Doomfreak wrote:
Mtzfire wrote:Imp
I think you could make the side teeth a bit longer.
I kept the teeth in the proportion of the original pixelated sprite... I think the teeth are okay... IDK, I might change stuff around.
-Haven't had time to make complete the second frame, when I do I'll post. Good thing frame 1 is done, all there is too worry about for the others is making the animation look like it actually is the same Imp. :)
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

really, its just too literal.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

JustinC wrote:really, its just too literal.
I know, but I can't remake his look, I don't wonna mess up what he's supposed to look like :| I'm not going to make him look like a non-Imp.
-You might not like the Imp, I get that, but you really can't hate it being in proportion to the original, because that's what I'm aiming for. Pretty much, I'm trying to make a literal recreation, I'm trying to visualize the exact same monster, but more clearly...
EDITED: ('make' was 'male' :oops: XD XD)
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

No, you don't understand. Something is getting lost in translation. An example would be the teeth, thats a shading thing, not individual teeth. Your saying you have to fall on a design, when your not really following the design. But hey, its not really a big issue. Who cares.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Well okay then, it looks nice anyway :)
Blox

Post by Blox »

Since I'm on another computer, I tried to make another sprite.
But I gotta admit, I'm in one hell of a perspective screwup. (*Cough* Look at that arm.)
Spoiler:
(Maybe I should post this stuff in the "What the HELL are you working on" thread.. Unless you guys don't mind me posting WIPs here.)
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

I want to know how you get that muscle/skin material look. Looks very very good. Something i see on Vaders sprites all the time aswell, and it looks awesome as fuck :P My skin just appears to be smudged cartoony shit if i make big areas of skin. :/
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

It looks like a somewhat fuzzy, wrinkled old Pinky. I kinda liked the old sprites before you started coloring these things oddly and adding unnecessary detail. Meh.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Ryan Cordell wrote:It looks like a somewhat fuzzy, wrinkled old Pinky. I kinda liked the old sprites before you started coloring these things oddly and adding unnecessary detail. Meh.
I dunno, he said he'd fix the eyes.

But as far as the "wrinkled old" goes, I disagree. I think it conveys the perfect equilibrium between cartoon-y and gritty.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

It looks like a half-detailed pinky with some perlin noise added onto it, honestly.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Ryan Cordell wrote:It looks like a somewhat fuzzy, wrinkled old Pinky. I kinda liked the old sprites before you started coloring these things oddly and adding unnecessary detail. Meh.
I like the old stuff too, don't worry I'm thinking of keeping the "pre"-edits, the more cartoony classic ones, and co-releasing something called 4x-Classic Sprites :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, just some random news on this:
Spoiler:
@Blox, I'd say even whithout your PC you somehow manage to get those great details :) I like the wrinkles and veins, they make that Demon look... Demonic! :lol:
Blox

Post by Blox »

InsanityBringer wrote:It looks like a half-detailed pinky with some perlin noise added onto it, honestly.
I do use a noisy brush, but perlin noise won't look that nice on a sprite.. Unless you take your time (hours) to make it 'fit' the depth. In which case you're better off doing what I do.
And the only thing that makes me able to make such mucle/skin look, is a certain layer blending style in PSPPPX3. Namely, Luminance (Legacy); The main trick with it, is that you can 'soften' the small details from a previous layer (that can be using it too).
It keeps the colors very well, which is why it's the perfect solution to making pink/red stuff. Unfortunately, it doesn't work quite well for anything that's yellow or brown. :?

Which means that the archvile is going to be a pain to make..
..But I'm getting a tablet 'soon', so that'll probably make the 'skin and bones'-ish look it has a bit easier to redraw. :)
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

ANYWAY..., I am alive :shock:

Yeah, remember this is WIP, so things change again and again... I saw that my techniqe took ages, so I'm starting again to mess around with techniques and styles..

-Here's MY Demon:

That's very impressive, especially when you consider that it only took 1/2 hour 8-) That's a new record, and I'm motivated once more (i was going insane because these took me forever to make at first! :shock: )

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”