[WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blox

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Blox »

InsanityBringer wrote:The baron has cut off edges at a few joints. Look closely.
I screwed the bottom of the front arm up, yes.
But that was merely another experiment, to see how the baron would turn out. And the only 'flat' parts of that sprite are the legs, because those are hard to make even slightly 'fuzzy'. But yet they aren't totally flat. And even then, in my eyes, that baron has a lot of Depth-Correct shading in general. Which, sorry to say; that cacodemon hasn't. Some of the shadows have a single intensity. And that's a hellish thing not to make when you don't have a tablet. Which is why I use PSP over Photoshop for this.

And don't mind the slight fuzziness around some of the edges, as I said; it's merely an experiment.

The cacodemon stuff is pretty funky, but the plastic-ish glows and single-intensity shadows really spoil it. :|
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

The only thing "plasticky" I see in the Caco is his upped pink area, I might have put a little too much light.

But anyway, these were BOTH experiments, so I think the Only way to really see which style works best is to take our time to produce 1 sprite with our best efforts.

-I say we make the front face angle of the Baron, or front-side, or side.
Or another monster, if you like, or the player.

-I'm just being like this because I strongly like the 3D-touch to the sprites. Also, remember that we need a project that runs smooth, not one with big ups and downs, so we need to get this fixed...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Here is the problem, to those who may not have read the previous posts:
Spoiler:
EDIT2: Here is another solution, but it may be bad:
-Having 2 projects, one with 4xHi-res sprites, and one with 4xHD sprites. The names don't have a style assigned, so either style can have either name.-
It's an idea because I really like the shade and shine and want to keep it, and I think it looks really neat, I'd say it's even a higher resolution than Doom2RPG's sprites even, and have a more 3d-style thing, which for me is good
Blox

Post by Blox »

Which is why I asked whenever the folks around here liked my baron experiment.
But sadly, I didn't get any answers. As it was drowned by the "bu-Incident".

The only problem with my style is that it's a very artist dependant way of doing it. Just look at my latest demon sprite, and compare it to that baron. The "The-Same-Guy-Made-This" factor is pretty high.

Edit: Heh. I keep my stuff rather close to the originals, but with additional, rather obscure details. That would only reveal if you took a close-up look at them. Just remember that "HD" means "High Detail". :wink:
Which is why I try to keep them very close to the originals (see the impaled human), sprites that look almost like the old ones. But with details you wouldn't have (easily?) thought of when you look at them from not too far away.
Last edited by Blox on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Yes, you can tell the "same guy made those," but that's the problem, only You have made them look that style...

-And 1 person making these is extremely diffictult, so why do it?

One another side, Both projects can exist, because as I've stated, the reshaping is done first, you can always detail later. So we can post the "reshapes" at DU, and then edit them to our liking. I myself would have no problem with contributing to a basic project, so that 2 projects are successfull.
Miracle Man

Post by Miracle Man »

That's a good idea, let other people use your "smoothed" high res sprites as a base to add detail layers.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Yes, I think that we can share "base" sprites for these apparent 2 "projects." I say 2 because I don't plan on stopping the way I made the Caco.

-Therefore, there'll be 2 things here, "4xHi-res" and "4xHD."
Don't ask why, there's nothing else to name them...

EDIT: BTW, I've started on the marine, and yeah the "base" sprite will look cartoony or 'clayish,' but I'll add the shade, spcular, and detail afterward. :)

-About weapons: Metal is the hardest thing to recreate without entirely redrawing it, so my first attempts at remaking metal might look wierd :lol: That goes for HUD weapons as well... I might make a simple one first.

EDIT2: ABOUT SYMMETRY-- Someone eariler stated it was bad. Wrong. When you have monsters with unique scars that are only on 1 side of their body, you end up fighting many IDENTICAL demons, which give a horrible effect of fighting "twin" creatures. Therefore, you need the monsters too look "overall" the same, but their bodies can't have anything that's actaully unique :)
(hint hint: That's why Doom3 and other games' model textures are only 1/2 of the model, and the same texture is used for a mirrored part of the creatures)
JustinC

Re: [WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

Post by JustinC »

I do feel sorta bad about my posts earlier, I just felt you guys could go crazy and make some awesome upgrades, which you did. :D
Keep up the good work.
Miracle Man

Post by Miracle Man »

I'm not seeing how the Mtzfire and Blox sprites are irreconcilable, they look like they would go well together.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

IMO, the remade sprites look kind of odd with the more dramatic shading. It just doesn't work right for the Baron nor the Cacodemon.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Miracle Man wrote:I'm not seeing how the Mtzfire and Blox sprites are irreconcilable, they look like they would go well together.
Well they look both look great, but the way they are made don't allow the same effect...
Ryan Cordell wrote:IMO, the remade sprites look kind of odd with the more dramatic shading. It just doesn't work right for the Baron nor the Cacodemon.
Yeah I will admit I still like the older ones, which is why I will keep the "reshapes," in case anyone wants the style of our first sprites :)

-I'm just checking by, I'm working on the Imp at the moment

EDIT2: Well I made the "reshape" of the Imp so far:
Now I'll add details in skin, eyes, and most importantly the teeth, which at the moment are just blocks...
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

I always wondered how the imp's face looks in close-up, so I look forward to progress in this sprite. Few years ago I see somewhere in internet very good pic of 3d model version of Imp, but now I can't find him. It was called something like "Doom Modelyard" and there be a inscription "Fancy a little impse?" This one looks very close to the original.

This one looks amazing: http://www.torquepowered.com/community/ ... read/82087
Big C

Post by Big C »

I just saw the new Caco. Dude, the Cacos always scared me the most out of the stock DooM monsters (even more than the Arch Vile, it's just the sudden startling HISSSSSSSS and tendency to show up unexpectedly) and the new Caco gives me the jeebies. D:
Blox

Post by Blox »

The arm-torso (and generally the whole top part) looks pretty very cool!

But the lower-torso looks kinda triangular, which isn't a good thing.
I think you should try to make such stuff a bit more round, like I did in my experimental imp.
Spoiler: That you can see here
Edit: (Below) We're just remaking the original sprites at a higher resolution, I personally have no intention to apply dirt/blood to them. Unless it was there already.
Last edited by Blox on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Apparently, Imps make sure to brush and floss daily.
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Mtz's imp kinda reminds me of the Mac Wolfenstein stuff. a fast fix would be to just use the blur tool up and down on the abs if it bugs you. I sorta like the teeth on him, though its a very "literal" interpretation of the original.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”