[WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mtzfire

[WIP]4xHi-res Sprites... and 4xHD?

Post by Mtzfire »

--Here we have 2 amazing projects, a 4x Hi-Res Project, and a 4x HD Project. People who want DOOM's flat painted look with the most of classic style might choose 4x H-Res, and those who like hi-res textures and 3d-like graphics might gind the 4x HD sprites more appealing, it's all about the individual.--

NEWS: This post is updated! YES, we've remade the way we make our hi-res images, and now they look amazing! We hope to have smooth work ahead...

Olde news:
Spoiler:
The video is for reshaping in hi-res. If you can get the hang of it, all you have to do afterward is add detail, shading, and specular (shine).

Project 'workers':
"Blox" - 4x-Hi-Res, reshaper
"Mtzfire" - 4x-HD, reshaper
"Pelle123" - (currently out)
"Mathey Bu" - Hi-res reshaper

4x HD Sprites:by Mtzfire
Cacodemon: Image
Imp: Image
MORE TO COME!

4x Hi-Res Sprites:by Blox
Demon: Image
--It's not finished yet, Blox states he will fix the toenail. :)
MORE TO COME!

-Hopefully we can start thinking about a future "release" or at least a beta whith a few completed monsters, for free 'test-running.' That's in at least some time, though.
Last edited by Mtzfire on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: 4x Hi-res Sprites [WIP]

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Well, not bad. The barrel could use more work. They kind have that clay like feel to them, which would be interesting for a mod of a certain style.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Lol, I thought they looked more like drawings, but clay is good, because IdSoftware made the Doom sprites with clay models(and latex) :lol:
Okay well thanks, feedback is always helpfull. I'll see what I can do about the barrel, though it pretty much looks like a barrel. Any more specific ideas? The only thing I saw that was a bit off was the fire, I guess I'll start with that.
-Anyway, thanks, all feedback is considered.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Well, they might not look very very defined, but looks cool to me nonetheless. I'd definitely autoload it half of the times :P
JustinC

Post by JustinC »

Hmmm.....interesting approach, I'm interested in the animation consistency. Keep up the work. I've always considered doing one of these myself.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

DBThanatos wrote:Well, they might not look very very defined, but looks cool to me nonetheless. I'd definitely autoload it half of the times :P
:lol: Yeah me too. That's cuz even with 4xhi-res I'll never stop liking the originals...
JustinC wrote:Hmmm.....interesting approach, I'm interested in the animation consistency. Keep up the work. I've always considered doing one of these myself.
The animation consistency is actaully very good, nothing more than the animation consistency of the originals, but at least that of them. Anyway there's no prob with anyone wanting to give it a try, the process for making the sprites is quite easy when you get the hang of it, it just takes time (but not as much as some people think)
Spoiler:
-Anyway I'm working on the stone pillars, maybe I'll start with the one that has the heart...
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

The pinky demon's left hand is too small in the second sprite. Other than that, it's a nice start.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Lol looks pretty proportional to me... ? The pinky's arms are small, he's not really a buff brute for beating with his arms, that's kinda why he's into biting... like a T-rex (not that he's like a t-rex)
EDIT: Hmm.. well his hand is a bit small for sure... that probably makes the whole arm look less powerfull :lol: Well we can easily stretch out the hand.
THANKS for catching that :) The last edit shouldn't have that tiny fist.

---lol though I wanted to start on the pillars, they are pretty hard with the skulls and all. I'm making the stalagmite instead :lol:
Last edited by Mtzfire on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

You're going to store them in the WAD/PK3 at the size you edit them at, right? And then use DECORATE to re-size them? I'm not patronizing you, but it's something I'm just curious about in case I decide to use hi-res sprites for any of my WADs. :P
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

TheDoomGuy wrote:You're going to store them in the WAD/PK3 at the size you edit them at, right? And then use DECORATE to re-size them? I'm not patronizing you, but it's something I'm just curious about in case I decide to use hi-res sprites for any of my WADs. :P
I believe that is how hi-res sprites are used, yes.
TheMistress

Post by TheMistress »

Will you be making the HUD sprites into Hi-Res too?
Blox

Post by Blox »

As far as I know, those were already made by someone else.

Oh, and hello there.. Now that this is posted here, I should probably work some more on this.

Editpower: MR_ROCKET Made them, and some links can be found on the DEngine forums - in the doom addons forum.
Last edited by Blox on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Okay so I made the Stalagmite, with very limited time as I have to work on other things, here it is:
:? Well I don't know how 'good' it is, but here's some explanation:
Spoiler:
Still, please let me know if the final version should have a more rocky tone, I don't wonna mess it up so if people wonna see rock, then I'll make it rocky. :wink:
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Honestly, I think it should be rocky, if that's what it's supposed to be.
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Okay, that's +1. Though I'd really like more votes on it. Chances are I'll remake it, but still
-Now I'll work on the pillar I didn't finish
-Anyway anyone feel free to choose, I wouldn't mind remaking it later :wink:

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”