[Music] Shane's HQ Doom Music (2018 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shane
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Gentoo GNU/Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

[Music] Shane's HQ Doom Music (2018 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

Post by Shane »

First off, hello, I'm Shane. I'm new here. I use GZDoom 1.4.x. All the projects/resources/whatevers I make will be for ZDoom 2.3.0+, but enough about that.

I present to you yet another High Quality Music project. What I think makes mine different, however, is it's true to the original. What's that mean? Well, let me explain.

Some people want a remixed version of the soundtrack and that's fine (and if you're one of those people, this probably isn't for you) but I don't. I just want high quality recordings of the original songs. I was using Ashley Carr's fine synthesised soundtrack, but it was always lacking in the guitar department (since I play guitar, that kind of thing makes me sad :cry:).

The 3DO would have sufficed but it only had the first episode of the first Doom, so that wasn't going to do me any good. The PlayStation tracks are awesome for a more atmospheric feel, but there's times when I want more than just the ambiance. The original songs, for me, are timeless classics so I had to take matters into my own hands. I decided to take the MIDIs from the game and did all the songs for myself.

Keep in mind, these are not remixes. On a few rare occasions I did an instrument change here or there (e.g., replacing the Choir Aahs with strings in "They're Going to Get You") but only when I felt the original choices sounded basically ridiculous. Other than that, there is no rewriting of any tracks. They are just MIDIs replaced with instruments and high quality synthesizers.

So anyway, on with links:

Doom/The Ultimate Doom:
https://gam.thewaitingroom.org/doom/ogg/doommus.pk3 (128.60 MB)
They're Going to Get You (Choir Version) (6.32 MB)
Sign of Evil (Choir Version) (9.22 MB)

Doom 2:
https://gam.thewaitingroom.org/doom/ogg/doom2mus.pk3 (239.51 MB)
LOL_DUDE's fix (you should probably use this for now): https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lxahtrn4sw9y ... x.pk3?dl=0

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment:
https://gam.thewaitingroom.org/doom/plutoniamus.pk3 (89.66 MB) (Old 2010 Pack)

Final Doom: TNT - Evilution:
https://gam.thewaitingroom.org/doom/ogg/tntmus.pk3 (105.55 MB)
LOL_DUDE's fix for Doom combined: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pi8hachnnyje ... c.pk3?dl=0

Heretic:
Not done yet.

HeXen:
Not done yet.

Strife:
Not done yet, but since you want it, you'll get it.

Chex Quest/Chex Quest 2/Chex Quest 3:
https://gam.thewaitingroom.org/doom/chexmus.pk3 (36.63 MB) (Old 2010 Pack)

Previews
(Try before you buy!)
Doom/The Ultimate Doom
Doom II: Hell on Earth
Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment
Final Doom: TNT - Evilution

Feel free to comment, critique, love, hate, whatever. I hope you guys find this useful. If you use any tracks, please credit me, Shane Strife and don't forget the original composers somewhere in there. Enjoy.

Updates: The original packs used MusicLab's Real LPC synth guitar with IK Multimedia's AmpliTube Metal. While it made renders quick, it also made them a bit weak. I'm playing all the gutar tracks now. Hopefully that'll work out better for everyone. Also, upon request, the OGGs are saved at a much higher setting now.

As always, comments are welcome and I'll try to respond as promptly as possible. If I seem curt, I'm not trying to be rude. Thanks to everyone who uses these. :)

A huge thanks to Woolie Wool for his outstanding help.
Last edited by Shane on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 106 times in total.
Davidos

Re: HQ DooM Music [WIP] [Link]

Post by Davidos »

OOh, I did one of these, but nobody appreciated it >.>;
Shane

Post by Shane »

Davidos wrote:OOh, I did one of these, but nobody appreciated it >.>;
Yeah, it seems like the kind of thing that you a see a lot of and it's hard to tell which ones are good or bad. Not to mention, since I didn't change the songs, that might disinterest some people. I figured since I'm making them anyways, though, other people might want it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just played through Episode 1 with your tunes loaded. I liked 'em. :)
Shane

Post by Shane »

Enjay wrote:Just played through Episode 1 with your tunes loaded. I liked 'em. :)
I'm glad you like it. :)
I was going to finish Doom II off today, but I might not finish it until tomorrow. I am working on it, though. Then Evilution is next.
Shane

Post by Shane »

If anyone's watching this, uploaded DooM II tonight. Tested all the tracks on GZDOOM 1.4.1/ZDoom 2.4.0. Sorry for the long delay, holidays and all.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Not bad. :)

I don't see D_E2M2 in the first pack though...
Crazy Chicken

Post by Crazy Chicken »

Oh, this music pack is AWESOME!, i liked it :D
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

Almost all of Doom 1 sounds great, however a few of the songs sound too quiet for the game. Doom 2 also suffers this, except worse. Some of the songs aren't accurate to the original or not "beefy" sounding like the originals. Besides that great work!
Shane

Post by Shane »

NeuralStunner wrote:Not bad. :)

I don't see D_E2M2 in the first pack though...
Thanks, I'll fix it right away.
Mr.X wrote:Almost all of Doom 1 sounds great, however a few of the songs sound too quiet for the game. Doom 2 also suffers this, except worse. Some of the songs aren't accurate to the original or not "beefy" sounding like the originals. Besides that great work!
Care to give examples so I can patch it up? I normalise the volume then reduce the overall volume by half so that it doesn't overpower the sound effects.

I'm going to redo the existing packs cos I got a new drum kit. I'm sure you all expected that kind of thing anyways right?
If you have any more suggestions, feel free to PM me or IM me on any medium.
Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

Shane wrote:Care to give examples so I can patch it up? I normalise the volume then reduce the overall volume by half so that it doesn't overpower the sound effects..
Sorry about the delayed reply. I'll be glad to give examples. E1M7, E1M9 and E2M6 are pretty quiet compared to their midi counterparts, also E4M1 starts out with E1M8 music, i'm not sure if you knew this already. Doom 2 Map 1 is pretty quiet, but this song is fine due to how unliked it is. Map 7 is definitely more quiet that the original midi. Map 32 sounds strange compared to the original. I think that's all that i thought was wrong. Take it with a grain of salt if you will if you think i'm nitpicky :P
supergoofy

Post by supergoofy »

There are also the Sycraft's sountracks (in ogg format) for all Doom series (Ultimate Doom, Doom2, TNT, Plutonia), Hexen and Heretic. A friend of mine created (G)ZDoom compatible versions of theses tracks, probably he just packed them in a way that (G)ZDoom will recognize them (something similar with what I've done with hexen and heretic texture packs). I think I'm using them in zdoom ini, but I'll have to look at it. Sycraft's sountracks seem that are pretty close to original music. (obviously if someone open the pk3, he can see how the ogg are packed)

How different are your packs? It would be great if you upload a sample so that I can compare it with Sycraft's .

[edit]

Nevermind, downloading the full packs
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I remember hearing some of your tunes for SRB2's soundtrack and I know these will probably be good as well. :)
Shane

Post by Shane »

Mr.X wrote:Sorry about the delayed reply. I'll be glad to give examples. E1M7, E1M9 and E2M6 are pretty quiet compared to their midi counterparts, also E4M1 starts out with E1M8 music, i'm not sure if you knew this already. Doom 2 Map 1 is pretty quiet, but this song is fine due to how unliked it is. Map 7 is definitely more quiet that the original midi. Map 32 sounds strange compared to the original. I think that's all that i thought was wrong. Take it with a grain of salt if you will if you think i'm nitpicky :P
Okay, I'm reworking the tracks, so I'll be on the lookout for those. Instead of using compression, I'm going to do a full dynamic so the tracks will all be significantly louder. When that's done, I'd love to hear your feedback on them.
supergoofy wrote:There are also the Sycraft's sountracks (in ogg format) for all Doom series (Ultimate Doom, Doom2, TNT, Plutonia), Hexen and Heretic. A friend of mine created (G)ZDoom compatible versions of theses tracks, probably he just packed them in a way that (G)ZDoom will recognize them (something similar with what I've done with hexen and heretic texture packs). I think I'm using them in zdoom ini, but I'll have to look at it. Sycraft's sountracks seem that are pretty close to original music. (obviously if someone open the pk3, he can see how the ogg are packed)

How different are your packs? It would be great if you upload a sample so that I can compare it with Sycraft's .

[edit]

Nevermind, downloading the full packs
I'll upload sample packs in the future. I'm reworking Doom and Doom 2 since I didn't actually expect such positive feedback. I hope you'll try them again as soon as I update them.
BlazingPhoenix wrote:I remember hearing some of your tunes for SRB2's soundtrack and I know these will probably be good as well. :)
Well thanks. I'm reworking all of these right now, so stay posted everyone.

Sorry that it takes so long to get these and I promise I'll get to Heretic's and HeXen's as well. As of this posting, I'm on episode 1 of Doom. You'll probably get updated packs at the end of May or the beginning of June.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Shane wrote:I didn't actually expect such positive feedback.
I didn't expect the result to sound this damn good either. :P (I actually LOLd when I heard E2M1... compared to every other HQ Doom music project that adds so much in musical bells and whistles I'm just floored by how a relatively simple but fundamental change can bring these tunes to life)

EDIT: E3M4 is the wrong song.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”