[Music] Shane's HQ Doom Music (2018 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Onslaught Six

Re: [Music] HQ DooM Music (Update 2010.16.06) [WIP] [Link]

Post by Onslaught Six »

Wow, this is all really cool. Must say I'm impressed. I'd LOVE to hear something like this for Duke Nukem 3D (and actually I spent two days straight working on a compilation trying to achieve something similar using various sources) even though the majority of the Duke3D tracks are kind of shitty. (Most of the E2 Random Moody Ambiance tracks, I'm talking here.)

Surprised to hear you didn't just go and record new guitar for it all--I heard the first track and was convinced you'd gone and recorded all of it. Very impressed; I guess technology's finally gotten to the level where we don't need real guitarists anymore. :P
plausiblesarge

Post by plausiblesarge »

you should atleast do the strife town music - it was kinda cool
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Hell, the whole Strife soundtrack would be nice. Nobody's ever covered that before, and it would be pretty neat to see you make some hq Strife music. :)

I think that the Power Station song would be better as a start, because it sounds cool and has a guitar (unlike the town's music), which would showcase your skills. Strife actually has plenty of songs with a guitar in it, so any of them would be awesome to remake.
Shane
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Gentoo GNU/Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [Music] HQ DooM Music (New Preview Coming Soon) [WIP] [L

Post by Shane »

Onslaught Six wrote:Wow, this is all really cool. Must say I'm impressed. I'd LOVE to hear something like this for Duke Nukem 3D (and actually I spent two days straight working on a compilation trying to achieve something similar using various sources) even though the majority of the Duke3D tracks are kind of shitty. (Most of the E2 Random Moody Ambiance tracks, I'm talking here.)

Surprised to hear you didn't just go and record new guitar for it all--I heard the first track and was convinced you'd gone and recorded all of it. Very impressed; I guess technology's finally gotten to the level where we don't need real guitarists anymore. :P
With the new recordings, I am recording the guitars. I like how it sounds a little better, but I am still using AmpliTube. Although, it was definitely a fun experiment. It took some work, but synth guitars have come a long away.

I made an offer to do guitar tracks for Mark McWane's Duke Nukem 3D remixes, but we never got anything off of the ground. We started an E1M1 collaboration, he went on vacation and I never heard from him again. I might take Duke Nukem 3D up after I finish these...whenever that may be. ;)
plausiblesarge wrote:you should atleast do the strife town music - it was kinda cool
Sodaholic wrote:Hell, the whole Strife soundtrack would be nice. Nobody's ever covered that before, and it would be pretty neat to see you make some hq Strife music. :)

I think that the Power Station song would be better as a start, because it sounds cool and has a guitar (unlike the town's music), which would showcase your skills. Strife actually has plenty of songs with a guitar in it, so any of them would be awesome to remake.
Well, you want Strife. So I guess you'll get Strife. :)

Also, a small update. I've been uploading the new WIPs for Doom. I'll release a "shareware" preview again before finishing off Doom and Doom 2. I'll probably start work on TNT after that and ignore redoing Chex Quest for now, in favour of Heretic and HeXen. Then I'll more than likely tackle Strife and Chex Quest.

Every track will also be available in MP3 format on The Waiting Room as I finish them. Just keep in mind they should always be considered WIPs until their respective packs are released.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Of course, you can do whatever you want to do, but could I please request that you do just *one* Strife song soon, before tackling the whole soundtrack? I just want a sample of how awesome it would be! :)

And for something more long-term: are you planning on doing the shareware tracks? Some of them were different than the full game.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Sodaholic wrote:Of course, you can do whatever you want to do, but could I please request that you do just *one* Strife song soon, before tackling the whole soundtrack? I just want a sample of how awesome it would be! :)

And for something more long-term: are you planning on doing the shareware tracks? Some of them were different than the full game.
I'll dig through the Strife WADs and see what stands out. I was considering making shareware downloads too, so I don't see why not and it's not a problem, I'll do Strife. It'll just take me a bit of time to get there.

It sucks that just when I'm ready to move forward, I find something better and have to go back. Damn innovations. It's getting pretty good, though. I don't think I'll be needing to redo things for much longer.

I'm also liking how the tracks are coming out a lot better now, too. I'm actually going through the songs pretty quick, I'm getting so used to them. So we should be getting new material soon enough. :)
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Wow, this is actually very good.
I'm more of a remix person, but this certainly floats my boat.
Hoping to hear more soon!
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

As it seems nobody mentioned it, I will.

Doom2's D_READ_M endgame music is wrong. From the 2:48 point onward, the lead is supposed to become polyphonic (there are 2 voices), however yours only has one of the two lead instruments, the backup lead, which ruins the melody.

Also, D_STLKS2 (the music of map "Hunted") of Plutonia is wrong, it should be D_BUNNY (the bunny scroller music), not D_VICTOR.

Besides that, you did a pretty awesome job with this music. It's made my autoload with the high-quality doom sounds. =P
Shane

Post by Shane »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:Wow, this is actually very good.
I'm more of a remix person, but this certainly floats my boat.
Hoping to hear more soon!
I'm glad you like it, and I really hope you like the next version.
Pink Silver wrote:As it seems nobody mentioned it, I will.

Doom2's D_READ_M endgame music is wrong. From the 2:48 point onward, the lead is supposed to become polyphonic (there are 2 voices), however yours only has one of the two lead instruments, the backup lead, which ruins the melody.

Also, D_STLKS2 (the music of map "Hunted") of Plutonia is wrong, it should be D_BUNNY (the bunny scroller music), not D_VICTOR.

Besides that, you did a pretty awesome job with this music. It's made my autoload with the high-quality doom sounds. =P
Thanks for posting more bugs (well, maybe that's not the proper word. Oversights maybe?). I have to do a lot of it just by listening to the MUS lumps and sometimes I get mixed up. D_READ_M may have just been an oversight on my part, I'll be sure to fix that in the next version along with the other errors you mentioned.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

This is great. While I'm more of a remix person myself, these are definitely going into my autoload sections. Are you just running the MIDIs through a high-quality professional synth, or are you actually re-performing each song? It sounds like a bit of both, depending on the track.

How do I make sure to get whatever the latest pack is? Are the files behind the links on the front page periodically updated and I just have to download them every once in a while, or do I wait for a final release notice when everything is done and finished? Also, I noticed that on your site, only a few of the songs are actually clickable. Does that mean those are the songs that are finished and the rest in a pack are just quick HQ MIDI versions as placeholders?

Also, the OGG's in the packs probably should be a bit higher bitrate. 128kbps is okay-ish with vorbis, but I definately hear the compression artifacts. I've found vorbis to work much better if you just give the encoder a 5+ -q value. (Personally, I use -q7) But I wouldn't mind a FLAC pack. ;)

This inspired me to make a per-IWAD autoload list for ZDL 4. :)
Shane

Re: [Music] HQ DooM Music (Updated 2011.05.03) [WIP] [Link]

Post by Shane »

Bio Hazard wrote:This is great. While I'm more of a remix person myself, these are definitely going into my autoload sections. Are you just running the MIDIs through a high-quality professional synth, or are you actually re-performing each song? It sounds like a bit of both, depending on the track.

How do I make sure to get whatever the latest pack is? Are the files behind the links on the front page periodically updated and I just have to download them every once in a while, or do I wait for a final release notice when everything is done and finished? Also, I noticed that on your site, only a few of the songs are actually clickable. Does that mean those are the songs that are finished and the rest in a pack are just quick HQ MIDI versions as placeholders?

Also, the OGG's in the packs probably should be a bit higher bitrate. 128kbps is okay-ish with vorbis, but I definately hear the compression artifacts. I've found vorbis to work much better if you just give the encoder a 5+ -q value. (Personally, I use -q7) But I wouldn't mind a FLAC pack. ;)

This inspired me to make a per-IWAD autoload list for ZDL 4. :)
Thank you for the compliments. They're greatly appreciated. :)

Originally, I did the pack as high-quality synths, but now I'm performing every song. The ones on The Waiting Room are the ones I've re-recorded for this pack, so far. They're also listed in the first post.

I will always post the latest packs in the first post, and I will post in the title when the latest pack was updated. I'll also post updates to the packs on Twitter and what I'm working on, so you can follow it there.

I was planning on making FLAC releases for everything on The Waiting Room, including the Doom remixes. I'm upping the OGG quality as well, so hopefully it will be more pleasant during play. I'll probably actually use Q9 at 320kbps, I just made it 128 for size purposes. Since I'm releasing every song individually as well, I don't see why I shouldn't up the quality.

Edit: A new preview pack is up now. See if that sounds better to you. :)
Everything is back up. Thanks for your patience.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

Sorry to beg, but I'd love to hear even one Strife song remade (one with guitars in it). I seriously loved that game's music.
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

I love these, mind if I use some of them in my wad(s)?
Shane

Post by Shane »

Sodaholic wrote:Sorry to beg, but I'd love to hear even one Strife song remade (one with guitars in it). I seriously loved that game's music.
Okay, I'll work on something for you tonight.
hugoroy wrote:I love these, mind if I use some of them in my wad(s)?
Of course you may use these. Just be sure you give credit where credit is due. Of course, I'll be updating, so you may want to update when I do.
hugoroy

Post by hugoroy »

Shane wrote:
hugoroy wrote:I love these, mind if I use some of them in my wad(s)?
Of course you may use these. Just be sure you give credit where credit is due. Of course, I'll be updating, so you may want to update when I do.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”