2X resolution sprites

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
August

2X resolution sprites

Post by August »

Awhile back, someone suggested converting the sprites in DOOM II to 2 or 3 times their normal resolution.
After looking into the idea, I soon realized it was an imposable task. You can't add resolution to a pixilated image. So I forgot about the idea. A year or so later, I came across a file given to me among a ton of other doom wads and art that had a started hi-rez project. I started to work with it, and had some success at doubling the resolution of some sprites.
What I've got so far can be found at:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nois3k

Any input, positive or negative would be appreciated.
...Oh, and I'm not really a gamer, so forgive me if I used the wrong forum, or something. :)

August
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: 2X resolution sprites

Post by leileilol »

Pfft these are just lame resamples with no new details.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

can you show a sprite so we can see without downloading?
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Oooh, I'm liking those new marines in the Extras wad - particularly the commando, kickass. :) Good job with those, but there's a couple of edits that look pretty terrible, I'm afraid - see the Hell Knight as an example of one of those.

Keep it up!
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

I have to be honest, they actually look worse than the regular sprites with GZDoom smoothing.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Oh oh, let me guess: he just resized them and put them through a sharpen filter a couple of times?
MephistoII

Post by MephistoII »

very bad. most of them have heavy losts of color.

I would love if you could shown me some real hi-res sprites, and not that shitty filtering. photoshop's default filter is WIDE better, and doesn't have color losts.

And let me say that that kind of crappy work can be avoided with Gzdoom. *AHEM*trilinear & ansiotropic filtering*AHEM*
August

Post by August »

Hello leileilol. I see you're as nasty as ever.
Eat any children recently?

Actually, I guess I had it coming. I DID ask for ANY input, good or bad. And, yeah, it's not nearly finished yet.
As for the opinion that I just blurred them
MephistoII wrote:I would love if you could shown me some real hi-res sprites, and not that shitty filtering. photoshop's default filter is WIDE better, and doesn't have color losts.
That's not quite the case.
...But, thank you for your opinion. Actually, I blurred them %1, and used the Photoshop filter Emboss, with the overlay setting, and spent about 5 min on each sprite removing saw-tooth edges and smoothing spots that looked really bad, like 45 degree angles. As for the color, most of the "mistakes" you point out are there on purpose so theres some originality to it.

As for Gzdoom...I don't use it because it doesn't work right.
Stick with good, old fashioned Zdoom.
Believe me...it's better.

Thank you to everyone who's posted on this topic. :)

August
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

August wrote:As for Gzdoom...I don't use it because it doesn't work right.
...No it's not. GZDoom works fine. It's assuredly your computer or something.
MephistoII

Post by MephistoII »

august wrote:As for the opinion that I just blurred them
MephistoII wrote:I would love if you could shown me some real hi-res sprites, and not that shitty filtering. photoshop's default filter is WIDE better, and doesn't have color losts.
That's not quite the case.
...But, thank you for your opinion. Actually, I blurred them %1, and used the Photoshop filter Emboss, with the overlay setting, and spent about 5 min on each sprite removing saw-tooth edges and smoothing spots that looked really bad, like 45 degree angles. As for the color, most of the "mistakes" you point out are there on purpose so theres some originality to it.
oh really? you used photoshop? I can't believe it.
Try "Image>image size". just try it.

anyways, I don't see any point of interest in it, as they are only filtered images. I'm sure everybody here would like a really new high res sprites.
august wrote:As for Gzdoom...I don't use it because it doesn't work right.
maybe it doesn't work right for your sistem. my GeForce 8600m GT runs it smoothly :biggrin: .
The only problem I heard is that it's oficial release has a little problem with A_Explode, but that's fixed in the subversion.
Gez

Post by Gez »

MephistoII wrote:The only problem I heard is that it's oficial release has a little problem with A_Explode, but that's fixed in the subversion.
Have you just crawled from under a rock? There's been something like half a dozen official releases since the A_Explode bug has been patched... :lol:
MephistoII

Post by MephistoII »

Gez wrote:
MephistoII wrote:The only problem I heard is that it's oficial release has a little problem with A_Explode, but that's fixed in the subversion.
Have you just crawled from under a rock? There's been something like half a dozen official releases since the A_Explode bug has been patched... :lol:

nope, I said I heard. I got into the great world of gzdoom too much later :tongue:
DoomerMr_T

Post by DoomerMr_T »

K I see the reason why don't you like his work, but ya know; not too rough.He is a modder just like as many of us here.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

If you really wanted high/er -res sprites. it's best to just REDRAW the monsters using the original monster's poses. There's relaly no way to just expand the monster and then expect it to look good since you wont be increasing the amount of detail. Editing from a expanded sprite will be just as much work as redrawing it.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Someone posted over at Doomworld in the last few days with examples of a couple of enlarged sprites that they had been working on. They actually looked pretty good. I'm not sure what method they were using but they said it was "largely automated" with some post enlarging touch-up.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”