[Project]Hexen II Monsters

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

[Project]Hexen II Monsters

Post by Ghastly »

This projects goal is to recreate the Hexen 2 monsters with Hexen-style sprites (no model rips) for use in Doom, Heretic and Hexen (Png sprites).

Code: Select all

Spider: 100%
Archer: 0%
Skull Wizard: 100%
Archer Lord: 0%
Stone Golem: 100%
Fire Imp: 100%
Hydra: 0%
Crystal Golem: 100%
Scorpion: 0%
Black Scorpion: 0%
Wereleapord: 0%
Werepanther: 0%
Mummy: 0%
Ice Imp: 100%
Iron Golem: 100%
Mummy Lord: 0%
Brown Spider: 0%
Medusa: 100%
Bronze Golem: 100%
Shadow Wizard: 100%
Black Spider: 100%
Fallen Angel: 0%
Greater Fallen Angel: 0%
Tulku Archer*: 0%
Pentacle*: 0%
Snow WereLeapord*: 0%
WereTiger*: 0%
Brown Gyagk*: 0%
White Gyagk*: 0%
Black Gyagk*: 0%

Eidolon: 0%
Praevus*: 0%

* == Expansion
(I only recently started playing Hexen 2, since I just bothered to find a walkthrough, I'll add monsters to the list as I find them).
Spoiler: Screenshots
Beta:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4rm4bste494kjo5 (Updated link. Should work now)
Subject to change. I don't recommend people use this until the first official release.
Last edited by Ghastly on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 am, edited 20 times in total.
Maelstrom

Re: [Project]Hexen II Monsters

Post by Maelstrom »

For the archer see if you can use the Ghoul 3 Archer player sprites, with permission most probably...
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

what's the problem with you? why are you stealing my ideas!! So you cheked DoM just to steal code? uh!?
Spoiler:
Well, would be interesting, however will be a little hard to find a suitable mummy that have 4 different phases ((1) normal, (2) no arm, (3) no arms, (4)no arms nor a leg) ;) I have the rips and I can help you with the code for all monsters (believe me, making the mummy actor is a real pain in the ass).

DBT
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I am going to remake few HeXen II enemies. Death Knight Archer is one of them, it will be modified Heretic Death Knight.
Nash

Post by Nash »

The spider sprites that you found in UTNT actually comes from Blood.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

@Maelstrom: Thanks! I don't use any content without permission.

@Thanatos: I'm definately steering away from model rips (especially high-res), since they don't mesh well with the original sprites, and it'll look odd (load up DoM and summon an ettin next to an archer, and you'll see what I mean). I'd prefer to do the Decorate myself, also. Pain in the ass or not, that's the fun part for me :D.

@Neoworm: Cool, I'd love to see it when it's done. What monsters were you going to make, so I don't end up using 2 hours to make a monster you're already doing :P?

@Nash: Thanks. I'll see if I get re-rip those sprites since the ones from UTNT didn't seem like the complete set (Burn death doesn't look right, and it doesn't have a full melee animation).

Edit: Okay, Skull Wizard's just about done. If someone could put some kind of skull on it as a helmet, I'd be really grateful! I'll PM the wad over if anyone wants to.
Last edited by Ghastly on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Here's a small preview of the Skull Wizard: Image

I'm very proud of it's decorate, and it's one of my favourite recolors, but it's missing the trademark skull helmet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a sprite set I can recolor for the Iron and Crystal Golems? I thought about using the Golem from Heretic, but bleeds when it does, and would be hard to edit.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:but it's missing the trademark skull helmet.
What about simply putting another monster's head to the mage? Maybe a Alpha Lost Soul? Or a goat head from the Satyr? Something that looks more like the Hexen2 one? :) Other than that, nice work so far :)
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Or the skully heads from those skeletal Imp guys from KDIZD.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Tormentor667 wrote:What about simply putting another monster's head to the mage? Maybe a Alpha Lost Soul? Or a goat head from the Satyr? Something that looks more like the Hexen2 one? :) Other than that, nice work so far :)
I already tried the Alpha Lost Soul, and it looked terrible on all but the 1 rotation. While I can recolor and code, I'm really bad with sprite edits like that, lol.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

perhaps try placing a Revenant's skull inside the hood like you did with that Mage edit, it's not a 100% accurate to the original monster but it might look really cool

Oh btw what do these skull wizards do? I've neevr played Hexen 2
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

The skull wizard is one of the most annoying and complex monsters (I've yet encountered) in Hexen 2, for something that shows up a few times in the first map. It throws flaming skulls (recolors of the nitrogolem's tracer), sometimes in quick succession, it can force you back if you get too close (can't find out how to do that, but it has a melee attack), and it teleports if you're close enough.

It also can take a lot of damage, and is really tough to fight with a melee weapon.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:(can't find out how to do that, but it has a melee attack)
Make a new item that inherites behaviour of Repulsor disc but have +AUTOACTIVATE flag and maxinventory 0. Then give that item to skullwizard with A_GiveInventory every time he needs to force player away...
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Neat trick, lol. Unfortunately, every monster around it started slaughtering it when it forced me away, lol. That's one trick I have to remember for a boss, though.

Is there any kind of weapon.kickback for a monster's melee attack?
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Neat trick, lol. Unfortunately, every monster around it started slaughtering it when it forced me away, lol. That's one trick I have to remember for a boss, though.

Is there any kind of weapon.kickback for a monster's melee attack?
+NOTARGET should prevent other monsters attacking him, but it will not prevent infighting between repulsed enemies. But with clever placement in map it shoudnt be problem. And I dont think there is kickback for monster melee attack, I think you can set kickback only in player weapons.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”