Doom 64 Retribution PBR Materials : Vaseline Edition

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mynameislol

Doom 64 Retribution PBR Materials : Vaseline Edition

Post by Mynameislol »

Hello, i've gotten PBR materials working, and decided to convert every single texture in D64 to make use of them.

They are not manually painted, so don't expect realistic environment.

It looked good enough to put up here, so why not. Enjoy.
Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD : https://www29.zippyshare.com/v/Su9mWlMI/file.html

BONUS : Hand crafted brightmaps (monster brightmaps not included)
https://www43.zippyshare.com/v/areonCOy/file.html
Last edited by Mynameislol on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RikohZX

Re: Doom 64 Retribution PBR Materials : Vaseline Edition

Post by RikohZX »

The demonic janitorial services must be excellent before Doomguy smears it all with gore. :lol:
Still, as far as I know this makes it the second major PBR release following after the Castlevania mod. Good work.
GeneralDelphox
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by GeneralDelphox »

Gave me a hard boner just by looking at the screenshot. Will give it a spin soon.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Just wanted to let you know that i'm currently working on making hand-drawn PBR materials, and if gone uninterrupted, should be done in 2-5 weeks.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Just awe inspiring to play through... I wish there was a Doom64 wad to regular D1/D2/UD conversion just to use these!
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Valken wrote:Just awe inspiring to play through... I wish there was a Doom64 wad to regular D1/D2/UD conversion just to use these!
There is, but it disabled the PBR materials for some reason, couldn't get it to work
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Just a FYI, I'm not that great at making normal maps so maybe this version is better than my new manually drawn maps

Ok, i think there's barely any difference to hand crafted PBR materials for retribution, so i won't continue with them. Here's an example

Guess which one is which.
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

This source port never cease to amaze me.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Mynameislol wrote:Guess which one is which.
Both look great actually... Can you share your processing method? I want to try it on the Doom 3 texture pack from D4T!!!
Mynameislol wrote:
Valken wrote:Just awe inspiring to play through... I wish there was a Doom64 wad to regular D1/D2/UD conversion just to use these!
There is, but it disabled the PBR materials for some reason, couldn't get it to work
I figured out how to enable your PBR for D1/D2/UD and other maps that use vanilla assets!

Basically that D64 texture mod was a modified Super Duper 64 Doom with some changes. All the texture changes were scripted by the file = "TEXTURES.replace".

It swapped in the D64 textures for the reference Doom textures, but the GZDoom renderer still reference the map with basic texture NAMEs even though I had made sure to load your PBR file following the textures. By making copies of the SWAPPED IN D64 PBR files with the same name as the REPLACED Doom texture and saving the pk3 file again, it worked!!!

Example code:
Texture ZDOORB1, 128, 128
{
Patch CDOR3, 0, 0
}
I simply copied CDOR3.png to ZDOORB1.png for the corresponding ao, metallic, normalmaps and roughness "auto" folders inside each of those 4 folders.

This works loading either Doom 64 TC or the Doom 64 map set with this PBR file! As long as that script is loaded following the PBR file. Tested with a few user maps. I am sure this can be improved by fine tuning the files ...

The problem is there that there are 5000+ lines in that file with multiple D64 textures referenced for some of the vanilla doom textures, and have to figure out how to create a batch file to process D64 PBR file copies with the corresponding Doom texture names! It will take a long time to copy and paste it by hand and unsure if it is possible to swap PBR texture names via scripting as well.

If any script gurus are interested, I have attached the textures.replace file for review.
Attachments
TEXTURES.zip
Super Duper 64 Doom texture replace script
(6.42 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Valken wrote:Both look great actually... Can you share your processing method? I want to try it on the Doom 3 texture pack from D4T!!!
I used a program called ShaderMap4, and played with it, and was able to batch process the textures. It requried ALOT of manual renaming
Valken wrote:The problem is there that there are 5000+ lines in that file with multiple D64 textures referenced for some of the vanilla doom textures, and have to figure out how to create a batch file to process D64 PBR file copies with the corresponding Doom texture names! It will take a long time to copy and paste it by hand and unsure if it is possible to swap PBR texture names via scripting as well.
Yes, i COULD'VE gotten it to work, but it would've required so much copy and pasting that i didn't feel it was worth it.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Can you use a site like MEGA to upload your files? I'm not trying to juggle closing potentially malicious tabs in chrome while making sure that the download button I'm clicking is actually a download button or yet another malicious link. I shouldn't get pop ups like this trying to download your files. Please use a non sketchy website.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-07-29-15-29-42.png
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:Can you use a site like MEGA to upload your files? I'm not trying to juggle closing potentially malicious tabs in chrome while making sure that the download button I'm clicking is actually a download button or yet another malicious link. I shouldn't get pop ups like this trying to download your files. Please use a non sketchy website.
I don't know why everybody recommends MEGA, there's a 5GB limit, and after that you can't download anything from there for another 12 hours! Even a 20kb file! I'd recommend you get Adblock or something, as i never have these issues. Maybe even find me a better alternative? i'd appreciate it :)
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

5GB is decent sized for Doom mods. Most don't even hit 1GB or even get close.

Mediafire isn't as bad with the popups and whatnot, https://fromsmash.com apparently has a different way of going about ads, displaying creative projects instead I guess. Free no limit sharing.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:5GB is decent sized for Doom mods. Most don't even hit 1GB or even get close.

Mediafire isn't as bad with the popups and whatnot, https://fromsmash.com apparently has a different way of going about ads, displaying creative projects instead I guess. Free no limit sharing.
A bit slower than what i'm used to, but great for smaller files. Here you go!

http://fromsmash.com/c06388b8-9374-11e8 ... d04ae87646
sylandro

Post by sylandro »

It'd be awesome to have something similar to this for the PSX doom textures, it would look great on its atmosphere...

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”