Yay? Fake-over the shoulder third person

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Yay? Fake-over the shoulder third person

Post by Endie »

I promise i'll understand that this is just a graphic patch, and i'm not going to complain about player collision box.
you promised

This is uh, a graphic patch, that uses TEXTURE lumps to give a fake over-the shoulder perspective to the third person chasecam.
OVERTHESHOULDERYAY.pk3
(6.91 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
Your chasecam will look like this
Will look like this.png
Note: PLEASE DON'T RUN THIS WITH S.R.G.E.M OR MULTIPLAYER, OR THE PLAYER SPRITES WILL BE FLICKERING ALL THE TIME

And, if you want to grab the player more to the left, or to the right, just mess around with the texture lump inside the pk3
Zen3001

Re: Yay? Fake-over the shoulder third person

Post by Zen3001 »

kind of a cheap way to do it
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zen3001 wrote:kind of a cheap way to do it
You bumped the thread from a month ago just to say that? :?
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Well i'm kinda glad he did, i always love to see these workarounds people do to simulate stuff on GZDoom. That's kinda similar on what Doomero did on his Resident Evil 4 mod (but if i remember correctly, his fake OTS camera effect was due to the fact that the character sprites were replacing the weapons on-screen).
Endie

Post by Endie »

jdredalert wrote:(but if i remember correctly, his fake OTS camera effect was due to the fact that the character sprites were replacing the weapons on-screen).
Yup, this way he was also able to animate better, it works just like any weapon rip.
I'll mess around to see if i can get HD player sprites, or make my own ones then if so, i'll update this
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

isn't real shoulder cam possible in gzdoo? I'm pretty sure it is, why is it that I don't know of any script demonstrating it, I'm expecting someone lie nash to have it somewhere.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Yeah, there's been a few attempts at it, some very good. I think this one is commonly considered the best: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=46797

8-)
Endie

Post by Endie »

Ah yes, The Zombie Killer did the best work on chasecam code that i have ever seen. but the problem with Over the Shoulder camera is that the sights follow a path straight from the player, as Nash demonstrated in a video. Actually, there's lots of problems on shifting player's pitch in a real OTS chasecam, but i'm sure that the one who really discovered how to fix those problems, was the Black Warrior developer, Green Legacy
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

all it need is a crosshair that goes to the los of the player, I need to put that in feature suggestion

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”