[Music] HQ Doom Music (2017 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Music] HQ Doom Music (2017 Updates) [WIP] [Link]

Postby NightFright » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 am

I dunno if it's just me, but the background choir in d_messag (between 1:11 and 2:11) sounds awfully off-key. This can't be intended, doesn't sound anything like the original MIDI at all. Something similar must have happened with the background strings in d_the_da (3:45-5:12 and 5:30-end).
The other songs don't seem to have any issues and sound great. ^^
NightFright
Duke3D HRP Team

Postby Shane » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 am

Siberian Tiger wrote:Awesome stuff! I hope to try these out soon!

Thanks, man! I hope you like it! :D

NightFright wrote:I dunno if it's just me, but the background choir in d_messag (between 1:11 and 2:11) sounds awfully off-key. This can't be intended, doesn't sound anything like the original MIDI at all. Something similar must have happened with the background strings in d_the_da (3:45-5:12 and 5:30-end).
The other songs don't seem to have any issues and sound great. ^^

They're not out of key. They just play longer than they do in the original song: https://youtu.be/ILMtI7DmYn0?t=1m09s
https://youtu.be/Kc9rn3xGuvY?t=3m42s

If you listen to the synth voice, it's playing the same notes. Maybe because mine rings out for longer, it's giving you the perception it's out of key? I could always gate them so they don't ring for as long.
Shane
Has no life for Hardware.

Discord: Shane#8048

Postby NightFright » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:08 am

It's worth a try. I have surely heard the songs more than often enough to be able to tell when something doesn't sound right.
NightFright
Duke3D HRP Team

Postby Shane » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:44 pm

NightFright wrote:It's worth a try. I have surely heard the songs more than often enough to be able to tell when something doesn't sound right.

And I appreciate the feedback! Try these ones and let me know if you think that sounds better to you:

http://gam.thewaitingroom.org/doom/ogg/nightfright.pk3

Thanks for checking it out! :)
Shane

Postby NightFright » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 am

I listened to the new versions, but if I am honest, I cannot hear any significant improvement during the passages I have problems with. Maybe someone else can confirm so I know it's not just me who thinks that it sounds a bit weird? :D Anyway, I appreciate the effort from your side to adjust your work to user feedback. ^^
NightFright
Duke3D HRP Team

Postby Shane » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 am

NightFright wrote:I listened to the new versions, but if I am honest, I cannot hear any significant improvement during the passages I have problems with. Maybe someone else can confirm so I know it's not just me who thinks that it sounds a bit weird? :D Anyway, I appreciate the effort from your side to adjust your work to user feedback. ^^

Thanks for trying it out! Sorry that I haven't quite gotten it to a satisfactory level for you yet. I double checked to make sure I didn't accidentally play the wrong notes, and they do match up with the MIDI. It could be the choice of synths too. I'll tweak it a little bit more when I work on Final Doom. Thanks for checking it out regardless!
Shane

Previous

Return to Graphic/Sound Patches