Monster Scouter - Show Enemy Health (addon)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mko74

Re: Monster Scouter - Show Enemy Health (addon)

Post by Mko74 »

Great addon!!!, Thanks for it :D

Can you make a version for only monsters and compatible with your other addon AllClearMessage_S_Completionist?.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

JudgeGroovy wrote:Cool stuff, thanks for making this! I'm using the multicolor one from the first post for the record.

If there's one that doesn't show TechPillar (1000 health) etc and also doesn't show dead enemies in the future, that'd be extra cool. And I prefer numbers instead of health bars myself, the subtlety is the beauty of it.
Thank you for enjoying it. For the techpillar issue, I have no idea how to fix that universally. I could throw in a special exception for anything the scouter is supposed to ignore, meaning a lot of wide if statements, but then while it may fix it for vanilla, if a mod replaces that techpillar, it too will need to be added to the list of exceptions.

The entity tags that the mod currently uses to identify and sort targets are limited and I didn't see anything else I could add to it that would fix the issue either. If someone more knowledgable about modding than me can help, then that'd be great.
Mko74 wrote:Great addon!!!, Thanks for it :D

Can you make a version for only monsters and compatible with your other addon AllClearMessage_S_Completionist?.
Cheers! About your request, how would you like it to work? I'm guessing the Items 100% and Secrets 100% are overlapping on top of the health scouter. Where should I put them instead?
Mko74

Post by Mko74 »

Top right, in three lines. Something like this:

K: 100%
                                                 I: 100%
                                                   S: 100%

Align to the right. It's an idea, thanks for your work !!! :D
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Mko74 wrote:Top right, in three lines. Something like this:

K: 100%
                                                 I: 100%
                                                   S: 100%

Align to the right. It's an idea, thanks for your work !!! :D
Alright, thats fairly easy to do. Here you go:

AllClearMessage_S_Completionist_RightCorner.pk3
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Threw in a bonus function that says All OK when all three conditions are met.

EDIT: If you downloaded like 2 minutes ago, redownload again. I corrected the text to hug the right wall. I had no idea hudmessage was super smart in how it positions text near the edges.
Mko74

Post by Mko74 »

Thank you very much!!!, just what I needed :D :D
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Mko74 wrote:Thank you very much!!!, just what I needed :D :D
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :D
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Love this. Only thing I don't really like is seeing 1000/1000 for all the decorations around. Keeps making me think I've swung the crosshairs over something I hadn't noticed yet.
jckfrbn

Post by jckfrbn »

Love this, though 2 questions
1. Have you found a way to make the === scouter functional, its aesthetically pleasing and would love to use it.
2. Is this technically finished or are you still making newer versions?(personal curiosity)
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

jckfrbn wrote:Love this, though 2 questions
1. Have you found a way to make the === scouter functional, its aesthetically pleasing and would love to use it.
2. Is this technically finished or are you still making newer versions?(personal curiosity)
An overhaul for this mod is planned and I do intend to do it eventually, but I'm super busy with other projects right now. So, this is on the shelf, waiting its turn for now. I'd estimate 1-6+ months before I get back on working on this mod.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Spaceman333 wrote:
JudgeGroovy wrote:Cool stuff, thanks for making this! I'm using the multicolor one from the first post for the record.

If there's one that doesn't show TechPillar (1000 health) etc and also doesn't show dead enemies in the future, that'd be extra cool. And I prefer numbers instead of health bars myself, the subtlety is the beauty of it.
Thank you for enjoying it. For the techpillar issue, I have no idea how to fix that universally. I could throw in a special exception for anything the scouter is supposed to ignore, meaning a lot of wide if statements, but then while it may fix it for vanilla, if a mod replaces that techpillar, it too will need to be added to the list of exceptions.

The entity tags that the mod currently uses to identify and sort targets are limited and I didn't see anything else I could add to it that would fix the issue either. If someone more knowledgable about modding than me can help, then that'd be great.
I believe you should be able to ignore things that aren't monsters by ignoring anything without the ISMONSTER actor flag. This is how I do it in my mod's enemy health bar, and should work with any mods that don't abuse the ISMONSTER flag.
For ignoring dead monsters, you could either not show anything with less than 1 health, or check the KILLED actor flag. This flag gets set the moment the actor is killed.

You can also do this without breaking mods and maps that use TIDs on monsters already by simply using a second script that reports the actor's info back to the calling script. You'll probably need to have a different script for every property you need to check, though.
(If you used BCC (I think that's the right name?) or GDCC instead of ACC, you could return a struct with all the necessary info from a single script instead.)
elCreyo
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/Windows 10

Post by elCreyo »

This is exactly, what I was looking for. Very cool addon. Thanks.
banjiepixel

Post by banjiepixel »

I love the monsterscoutrer addon and I have been playing with it while also slowly tweaking it to my liking. It has been great first touch with acs and I have learned alot with this project.
My version is mainly made to be used with complex doom/lca but works great with other mods and vanilla too.

Changes:

-Only shows actors that are counted to monster killcount.
-Monster name color is now red if enemy, green if friendly.
-New brighter monster health number colors.
-Now has own color for when actor has more than 100% health.
-Indicator for invulnerable monster status (great for LCA Legendaries)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2x9zy4ju1 ... s.pk3/file
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Announcement:

This project has been succeeded and surpassed by a newer, better mod created by m8f:
Target Spy

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60784

This mod does everything I planned the Monster Scouter to have in the future and then goes even further beyond:
  • Fully customizable colors, up to 10% increments.
  • ASCII healthbar, which can be fully customized with any character on the keyboard.
  • ASCII crosshair, that can also show the status of a monster when hovering the aim over them.
  • Multiple color modes for the healthbar, one that gradually darkens (same as this mod's multicolor version) and a dual color, similar to the health bar in Street Fighter 2.
  • Different font styles for the health display.
  • Turn on and off any combination of the name display, hp bar and numeric health to suit your liking.
  • Full netplay support.
  • Position of health bar can be changed.
  • Huge amount of options to customize many aspects of the mod.
  • Many extra features, like kill confirming, a visual frame around a target and so much more.

It is the ultimate edition that monster scouter aspired to be, so go get that instead of this! Its really good!

Get it here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60784

Monsters Scouter will still remain available in its old current form as a resource to learn ACS, but if you need a health display addon mod, then get Target Spy instead of this.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

elCreyo wrote:This is exactly, what I was looking for. Very cool addon. Thanks.
Thank you! To get an even more richer mod, grab this one instead: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60784

banjiepixel wrote:I love the monsterscoutrer addon and I have been playing with it while also slowly tweaking it to my liking. It has been great first touch with acs and I have learned alot with this project.
My version is mainly made to be used with complex doom/lca but works great with other mods and vanilla too.

Changes:

-Only shows actors that are counted to monster killcount.
-Monster name color is now red if enemy, green if friendly.
-New brighter monster health number colors.
-Now has own color for when actor has more than 100% health.
-Indicator for invulnerable monster status (great for LCA Legendaries)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2x9zy4ju1 ... s.pk3/file
Excellent, I'll add it to the first post of this thread. The OP has broken images and people still download this mod instead of Target Spy, so I'll go put that into order in general too. rip postimg's image hosting I guess.
banjiepixel

Post by banjiepixel »

Spaceman333 wrote:Announcement:

This project has been succeeded and surpassed by a newer, better mod created by m8f:
Target Spy

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60784
Target Spy is very great but has it's flaws. One is that it requires somewhat recent gzdoom version and doesn't work on anything else like zandronum or last version of zdoom. Another is that sometimes too much options can be a bad thing. It is great that target spy has a lot customization options but by default i think it isn't as useful as monster scouter and it can get tedious to need to change things around every time when starting with new gzdoom installation.

Monster scouter is great for it's simplicity and compatibility. Seems that even latest brutal doom v21 release candidate uses monster scouter. It also seems that it is used there without any credit.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”