[0.5A Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom and Heretic

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] ZRift - Chasm in Doom, kinda

Post by Captain J »

Looks superb. That weapon sprite and mostly everything 'somehow' matches with doom graphic. It looks promising already!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, I like how it blends well with the Doom stuff. I've heard a lot of people would actually like Chasm more than Quake, except the maps aren't as good.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, I like how it blends well with the Doom stuff. I've heard a lot of people would actually like Chasm more than Quake, except the maps aren't as good.
I'm one of those people. I like Quake and have respect for it for its technical achievement, but the fact being is that it is just DOOM sprayed with a gothic/medieval paint job. Never fond either the weapons or enemies all that creative or original (say for one or two), the levels on the other hand were mostly well done.

I never could quite put my finger on why I found Chasm so appealing. I think it is the overall style and the creative and very detailed enemies.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I've always been in the same boat too. I can appreciate Quake for all that it's done, but I've never liked the weapons or enemies, it's mostly been the levels and music that I've been drawn to. Other than that it's kind of a blander Doom for me.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (New screens)

Post by Pandut »

New screens. After spending the better part of 4 days extracting, converting, porting and coding the majority of 3D enemies and objects into GZDoom, the premise of this mod has been changed a lot aha.
Spoiler: Screens
Massive, massive thanks to HAL9000 for helping me out with this.

Since the majority of Chasm enemies are melee-only, I had to get super creative. With some skin manips, there's a few enemy variations and certain enemies have new attacks. For example, the 'undead' vikings will lob their shields at you relentlessly, zombies will vomit toxic gas at you, etc. Had to get creative to in order to replace the enemies properly, while maintaining a theme. Just gotta mess around with MENUDEFs and GLDEFS and figure out what to do with the Pain Elemental/Lost Souls and it'll be good to go.
EddieMann

Re: [WIP] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (New screens, pg.2)

Post by EddieMann »

I just noticed that Strange Aeons uses quite a bit from Chasm: The Rift and would probably go pretty damn well with this mod if you did a "patch", like with High Noon Drifter.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well yeah, that's a thing. Maybe this mod should be compatible with certain mods like High Noon Drifter, Trailblazer or maybe Guncaster.
Pandut

Post by Pandut »

Yeah I fully intend on making an extra monster-only version, in case peeps wanna play em' with weapon mods.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Pandut wrote: Massive, massive thanks to HAL9000 for helping me out with this.
It was nothing, I love Chasm, I'm glad I could help!!!

Will you use 3d models for weapons, pickups, items, decorations etc??
Also, will you use Monster variations (with different skins) for different abilities = Like the skeleton multi skin example I gave to you?

So that you can have for example only Melee Skeleton, Ranged Skeleton, and Ranged & Melee Skeleton Combined variations, each one having different stats,abilities and different skins.
Pandut

Post by Pandut »

HAL9000 wrote:
Pandut wrote: Massive, massive thanks to HAL9000 for helping me out with this.
It was nothing, I love Chasm, I'm glad I could help!!!

Will you use 3d models for weapons, pickups, items, decorations etc??
Also, will you use Monster variations (with different skins) for different abilities = Like the skeleton multi skin example I gave to you?

So that you can have for example only Melee Skeleton, Ranged Skeleton, and Ranged & Melee Skeleton Combined variations, each one having different stats,abilities and different skins.
Yesss. The grand majority of pickups and items are in 3D now, save for powerups and armor/health bonuses. Still gotta figure those out.

There's a few Grunt variants, a green one with a typical rifle, an orange-grey one with a shotgun and a black-darkgreen one with an assault rifle. These guys will commonly spawn alongside stronger jetpack and rocket-launcher toting grunts. The Skeletons replace the Baron of Hells, one with a side-swinging multi-projectile attack (like the Quake 1 deathknight) and the red variant you sent me with a powerful single-projectile attack. All for more flavor and variety.

With the help of zscript, Pinky Demons and Imps have been replaced by 3 enemy types, and each map will randomly cycle one of these enemies so that every map there's the chance of running into a new enemy.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That's good that you're adapting the mod better for Doom. For me, the best porting mods are the ones that still do their own spin on things instead of just a 1:1 port of a game, flaws and all.
Pandut

Re: [Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (V0.1 in OP)

Post by Pandut »

V0.1 is up and ready in the OP. It's been years since I publicly uploaded something so hopefully I did it right :'D.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Re: [0.1 Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (DL link in OP)

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

So I can safely say that Chasm: The Rift is one of the most underrated FPSes of the 90s, as its gunplay is excellent and its graphics somehow managed to be better than Quake 1.

So it was really worth it to see something like this ported over to Doom, and I can already tell that this mod is excellent.

However, I did manage to catch a couple of issues, which I managed to capture most of in one screenshot:

The HUD seems to be having issues with screen formatting unless it's in something like 320x200.
Additionally, the rifle appears to clip when walking and when pulling it out for the first time.
Lastly, there seem to be additional "monster" actors spawned that can't be affected in any way, not even with the "kill monsters" command.

Other than that, everything else is buttery smooth and I can't wait to see what's planned for future versions! :D
Pandut

Re: [0.1 Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (DL link in OP)

Post by Pandut »

Thanks! For the HUD, it's actually the first one I've coded myself haha. I think it's a ScaleFactor issue so I made a few quick changes and I think it should be okay now. Fixed up the Rifle's offsets too, still figuring out the weird floating thing on first pull out.

EDIT: Newest version on op
Last edited by Pandut on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000

Re: [0.1a Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (DL link in OP)

Post by HAL9000 »

I just played entire Doom2 with Zrift.....and it's AWESOME, Good job on the mod!!

Some Suggestions:
Replace Lost souls with new (&new skin) Bat variants
Replace Pain Elemental with new (& new skin) Phantom variant (as a bat summoner)
Add Poison Scorpion variation to the Monster rooster.

Replace Doomguy Player with Chasm Player

Bugs:
-Alpha Channel on Some Models (Sphinx Eyes, etc)
-Vulcan Gun Ammo belt animation
-Vulcan Gun Pickup Skin Alpha & mesh bleed

Other than that 10/10, Would Rip & Tear in Chasm again
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”