[0.5A Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom and Heretic

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Gideon020

Re: [0.2 Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (DL link in OP)

Post by Gideon020 »

Out of curiosity, is there still a plan to put in Alt-Fires for the guns?
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:Also, I’ve come to notice that the actual game itself may not have as much variety in terms of decorations. As a result, I feel it would raise the opportunity of taking some liberties (such as dead marines replaced with a bloody version of the player model, gibbed player corpses replaced by a corpse of a marine that’s been mangled beyond recognition, the hanging corpses replaced with dead marines with the appropriate missing body parts, etc.)
I'm working on it (WIP) :D
Spoiler:
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

If you could, please make the decorations a seperate file. Some mapsets use Dehacked to make new monsters out of decorations, and if those decorations are replaced, then all those monsters are broken.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ouch! So many dead players tried to beat only one map. :P Yeah, can't wait to see them in dead action.
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

such detication towards chasm the rift, it almost makes me some of this stuff was added in that game and expanded to make it a even better experience.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

It feels like the weapons could use a bit more "oomph" in terms of sounds, sense of impact, and blood/fx from enemies. Maybe a bit more blood and gore and snappier sounds? The weapons are more interesting than Quake's, but they still kind of have that bland, weightless feel to them that the Quake set does. I think the more you can expand this and make it your own, the better!
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Before I forget, I have a couple of critiques:

-The footsteps the player makes appear to be too quiet.

-The fireballs/zombie spit could be particles or 3D effects to have a more consistent feeling with the rest of the 3D models.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I personally liked the quieter, more subtle than usual footsteps. :)

I have to say that, having played around with this quite a bit over the last few days, once this mod is complete, it will form an excellent "blank canvas" game for people to use for mapping and other mods. I'm going to guess that the original game isn't that well known and hasn't been extensively played by many people so anyone can pick up this excellent resource and make something of their own with it. With the mod providing a complete set of actor resources (weapons, pickups, enemies, decorations) "all" a modder has to do is make a world for them to inhabit.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread already but the Chasm textures have already been ripped and posted on these forums at least once before, so there's that resource available to modders too for an even more "this is something other than doom" feel to whatever they produce and, obviously, the textures would compliment the style of the actors more than the Doom ones (though many are quite Doomy in appearance).
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Pandut »

Yeah, I prefer subtle footsteps on the player and monsters. It's less distracting.
It feels like the weapons could use a bit more "oomph" in terms of sounds, sense of impact, and blood/fx from enemies. Maybe a bit more blood and gore and snappier sounds? The weapons are more interesting than Quake's, but they still kind of have that bland, weightless feel to them that the Quake set does. I think the more you can expand this and make it your own, the better!
Yeah, some of the weapons need a little more oomph, like the MegaDestroyer. I'm veering away from things like Brutal Doom's method of impact by simply making everything deafeningly loud.
Out of curiosity, is there still a plan to put in Alt-Fires for the guns?
A possibility, yeah. Though not all would have alt fires.

As for progress atm, here's a bit of a sneak of what I'm currently working on;

The HUD's been reworked and with the help of HAL9000 I'm working on unique 3D gibs for all enemies. In that screen I just gibbed about 10 grunts to show it off aha. Trying to work out some issues with it, like some 3D models spawning invisible and trying to animate em' a bit better so they tumble and toss more.

EDIT: Also! QuakedoomNukem CZ put together a cool Youtube showcase to show things off :D
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

This is fantastic. I sunk a lot of time into Chasm many years ago and I've always had a soft spot for it.

I wonder if it would be possible to make your mod compatible with Heretic too? I feel like the monsters and guns would really suit the the Heretic maps and palette. :)
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Pandut »

Hipnotic Rogue wrote:This is fantastic. I sunk a lot of time into Chasm many years ago and I've always had a soft spot for it.

I wonder if it would be possible to make your mod compatible with Heretic too? I feel like the monsters and guns would really suit the the Heretic maps and palette. :)
Yeah, once everything is ironed out, I fully intend on making Heretic/Hexen compatible.

Also, playing this myself for testing purposes, I've ran into a number of hard GZDoom crashes on certain mapsets that have tons of enemies (Specfically maps 20 and beyond on Scythe2). I updated to the latest GZDoom dev build and the issue was resolved. I cannot stress enough: KEEP YOUR GZDOOM UP TO DATE TO PLAY THIS MOD. Pls.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Having some Minor Crashes and Glitches by running the mod with Old version of GZDoom is kinda Epidemic, still.
Pandut wrote:As for progress atm, here's a bit of a sneak of what I'm currently working on;

The HUD's been reworked and with the help of HAL9000 I'm working on unique 3D gibs for all enemies. In that screen I just gibbed about 10 grunts to show it off aha. Trying to work out some issues with it, like some 3D models spawning invisible and trying to animate em' a bit better so they tumble and toss more.

EDIT: Also! QuakedoomNukem CZ put together a cool Youtube showcase to show things off :D
Hoooooooeeey Oooo Now that looks flawless enough!
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

In regards to the "unkillable and invisible monsters" bug that appears to be showing up, I still don't quite know what exactly is causing it, but perhaps a fix is to apply the -COUNTKILL flag to anything that isn't a monster (possibly applying even to spawners).

Also, another critique is to add something that signifies a turret death (i.e. exploding upon death or smoking turret head).

EDIT: I only clue I got was that playing Entryway on UV, there’s supposedly a total of 44 monsters, but in reality, only 25 monsters, leaving behind 17 invisible and unkillable monsters that are supposedly nowhere to be found.
Last edited by Hellstorm Archon on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

That's great news regarding Heretic compatibility down the line. I eagerly look forward to it! :)
HAL9000

Re: [0.1a Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (DL link in OP)

Post by HAL9000 »

YukesVonFaust wrote:will this mod implement the ability to remove limbs from enemies as in the original game?
Yes, I'm working on it!
It will be added in future releases, probably 0.4
Pandut is currently working on revamped Gibs for 0.3 release.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”