[0.5A Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom and Heretic

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: [0.5A Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom and Heretic

Post by Cyanide »

Don't know if this is intended, but the stimpack and medkit replacements has the +COUNTITEM flag, so you need to pick them up in order to get 100% items found.
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

I don't know why, but certain resources in this mod look broken when I play them in Gzdoom, compared to what I see on the video on the first page. Broken models such as the double barreled shotgun, the scorpion enemy and the handheld chainsaw.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Tribal wrote:I just found a bug in the mod... sorry if this was already mentioned here

When a map uses a script to spawn an enemy that was previously used in the map, this enemy will get a NewTID... and ZRift doesn't replaces this Doom enemy with his Chasm counterpart
I think the Imp replacement needs a 'Spawn ID, 5' added to it.
Tribal

Post by Tribal »

I think the Imp replacement needs a 'Spawn ID, 5' added to it.
Nope! It's the randomizer that's making things complicated here.

I started to learn how to mess with Slade just to try to fix ZRift... i found out that, for some reason, the imp and pinky's randomizers are different from the other monster's randomizers. So i made new randomizers for them, and now the issue with "spawning imps and demons instead of Chasm enemies" is fixed, and it also fixed the issue with the enemy counter.

And, like @Cyanide said, there was a +COUNTITEM flag in the stimpack and medkit's code, so the item's count at the end of the map was easy to fix.

There was some other things that i fixed, like when you are in the middle of a fight and the ammo of the weapon that you are using is depleted, the code always change it for the chainsaw or fists. I fixed it, making the code look for other weapons more powerfull like the chaingun, the crossbow, the razorblades, the plasmagun, the doubleshotgun... and since the next weapon on my list is the "infinite ammo shotgun"... the fists, the chainsaw and the explosive weapons are never auto-selected in the middle of a fight :)

in this video you can see the new randomizers in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBYqOnIc6gM

Now i have Vikings, Jokers and Goblins replacing Imps... Zombies and Mincers replacing Pinkies... the Hog now replaces the translucent pinky... and i got rid of the turrets and the scorpion, because i just don't like them =D

And, as you can see right at the begining, i run out of double-shotguns shells and the weapon was replaced by my fists... and i died... that's why after this i changed the auto-selecting weapon priority.

But, since i'm not the author of this mod, i'm not allowed to upload my "customized" version of ZRift.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Pandut »

Apologies for the radio silence, I've been buried under a bunch of IRL stuff. So kinda was taking involuntary break from the modding scene.

Yeah the +COUNTITEM and likely a bunch of other minor code weirdness is the result of me just copypasting previous codes and making changes to them for new things aha. As for Imp and Pinky spawns, I used ACS to try and put in a system where every map it randomly selects one of the three monsters of those classes and spawns only those. EG: From the Zombie, Viking or Jester, it'll just choose one of those to replace the Imp until the next map where it randomly selects a new one. Granted it's not working very well as in some specific maps it just spawns a normal imp. Other times the replaced monsters will be facing the wrong direction. My knowledge of ACS is supremely low so if anyone experienced at ACS wants to optimize it to help me, that'd be perfect aha.

I'm avoiding having them just as a normal RandomSpawner just to avoid well, the inconsistent randomness. In the future I want to have some sort of "theme selection" where enemies are different depending on which theme is chosen eg Military, Ancient, Medieval, Alien, etc.

I'll be easing myself slowly back into the modding scene because I've been gone from it for a while, so hopefully I'll be able to resume work on this. Again, sorry for the radio silence.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Pandut wrote:As for Imp and Pinky spawns, I used ACS to try and put in a system where every map it randomly selects one of the three monsters of those classes and spawns only those. EG: From the Zombie, Viking or Jester, it'll just choose one of those to replace the Imp until the next map where it randomly selects a new one. Granted it's not working very well as in some specific maps it just spawns a normal imp. Other times the replaced monsters will be facing the wrong direction. My knowledge of ACS is supremely low so if anyone experienced at ACS wants to optimize it to help me, that'd be perfect aha.

I'm avoiding having them just as a normal RandomSpawner just to avoid well, the inconsistent randomness. In the future I want to have some sort of "theme selection" where enemies are different depending on which theme is chosen eg Military, Ancient, Medieval, Alien, etc.
You are welcome to take a look at the code from Shades of Doom. I use ACS to do exactly what you want. Granted there is probably several ways to do it...
Gato303

Post by Gato303 »

It looks pretty cool, the weapons and monsters in 3D models, never knew that game Chasm, but this looks like an interesting add-on for Doom ^_^
Gato303

Re: [WIP] ZRift - Chasm in Doom, kinda

Post by Gato303 »

HAL9000 wrote: ... Converted from Chasm Format to to Md2,most of the frames were edited for MD2's use in Gzdoom to best fit the Actors behavior
I could Use MD3, But Md2 was the better choice, because I could Directly edit the frames and animation in Quake Model editor.
Don't know if you know, but you can edit MD3 on Blender with additional add-ons, I have them if you're interested, also, there is this program called MM3D (Misfit Model 3D) that also can edit MD2/MD3 models, though not as resourceful like Blender.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Gato303 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote: ... Converted from Chasm Format to to Md2,most of the frames were edited for MD2's use in Gzdoom to best fit the Actors behavior
I could Use MD3, But Md2 was the better choice, because I could Directly edit the frames and animation in Quake Model editor.
Don't know if you know, but you can edit MD3 on Blender with additional add-ons, I have them if you're interested, also, there is this program called MM3D (Misfit Model 3D) that also can edit MD2/MD3 models, though not as resourceful like Blender.
I hate using Blender, I mostly use Cinema4D or Maya, Md2 was the best choice for automatic conversion from Chasm to Quake model format, because it could directly be modified in original quake model editor, which is very powerful and recommended tool for any quake modder.

For the additional addons, thanks you can pm me the link :)
I mostly use MD3 framework for Cinema4D in combination with Noesis

This is my latest low polygon Quake1 weapon i made , made in Cinema4D, i can export it into animated mdl,md2,or md3 file format with ease
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now that looks super futuris-q! Would be fitting for Quake Champions Skin pack or some sort of mod!
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Captain J wrote:Now that looks super futuris-q! Would be fitting for Quake Champions Skin pack or some sort of mod!
Thanks, it is the remake of generic Quake lasergun that player and some enemies have. You know, the gun model you see other players have in multiplayer. I wanted to make it functional. So I made one :) . Gzdoom is great for quick test before coding it into Quake Engine.

I already made it for use in Gzdoom

Also I apologize for my absence from the forum and projects.I'm on a long business trip in Hong Kong.
I hope i'll return to my country next month, and start finishing my projects, and new models I've promised for Zrift :P
Gato303

Post by Gato303 »

HAL9000 wrote:I hate using Blender, I mostly use Cinema4D or Maya, Md2 was the best choice for automatic conversion from Chasm to Quake model format, because it could directly be modified in original quake model editor, which is very powerful and recommended tool for any quake modder.

For the additional addons, thanks you can pm me the link :)
I mostly use MD3 framework for Cinema4D in combination with Noesis
Well, the add-ons are for Blender 3D, so.....

Anyways, here's the webpage for the MM3D, called currently Marevick Model 3D, based on the old and abandoned Misfit Model 3D:
https://clover.moe/mm3d/

Hope that helps you on your projects.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Gato303 wrote:
Anyways, here's the webpage for the MM3D, called currently Marevick Model 3D, based on the old and abandoned Misfit Model 3D:
https://clover.moe/mm3d/

Hope that helps you on your projects.
Thank you, I used Misfit in the past, I'll check Marevick
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Maverick is definintely worth checking. If you are familiar with Misfit, it's basically the same but with some fixes and a new feature or two - and it's still being worked on.

I don't know if the main distribution download has been updated since the following fix was done but, if you experience these problems:
  • Textures missing in the texture coordinate editor.
  • Painting a texture creates a black PNG
There is an updated exe posted here that fixes the problem.
https://github.com/zturtleman/mm3d/issues/27
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Finally was able to play this now that I have a new comp. Love it for the most part - the guns are much punchier and better balanced in particular, and I like the new enemies - but a couple things bug me (no idea if you're still working on this, been a while since the last post).

- Not a fan of the monster randomization, i.e. running into a random mixture of gunmen and stationary turrets erected in inappropriate locations. That needs to be reigned in a bit or changed altogether when used as a replacement wad. I'd remove the turrets altogether as replacements however you go about it, but include them for people who wanna build maps with these guys.

- Monsters and objects with TIDs for mappers = awesome.

- Don't much care for the plasma thrower. It's pretty OP and it's in slot 3 when it ought to be slot 7 or 8 or something.

- Weapons seem to hit below the crosshair, which sometimes makes it hard to aim accurately with mouselook.

Would love to make mapsets with this wad at some point.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”