[0.5A Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom and Heretic

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
HAL9000

Re: [0.3a Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (DL link in OP)

Post by HAL9000 »

4shot wrote:Also forgot to mention that I also whipped up a new variant of the Mong grunt and two new Turrets.
Spoiler:
@4shot sorry for late reply!
I just tried your custom edit (based on zRift v0.3), I like the acid Grunt a lot!
Maybe Pandut should consider adding this variant as a rare spawn?
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

0.4b Hotfix

Post by Pandut »

EDIT: Newest version on op
Last edited by Pandut on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4shot

Re: [0.3a Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom (DL link in OP)

Post by 4shot »

HAL9000 wrote:
@4shot sorry for late reply!
I just tried your custom edit (based on zRift v0.3), I like the acid Grunt a lot!
Maybe Pandut should consider adding this variant as a rare spawn?
Oh thank you! Considering the new plasmathrower weapon, maybe the acid grunt could be a plasma grunt?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [0.4B Release] ZRift - Chasm in Doom

Post by Captain J »

Nice update! And i just noticed something werid like, i killed everything and collected all items in Entryway but the Intermission says i didn't. Give some simple maps like Entry or Hanger a try and you'll know what i'm saying.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Sarcophagus boss monster has a badass chainsaw......
....so what if the player could obtain and use his weapon?

Weapon will be obtained only by a random drop from Sarcophagus Boss monster, and it will upgrade current player fist weapon.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
This is just an idea and this weapon may or may not end up in the game.

Current WIP Model animation:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Groovy... And I have been thinking, is choujin(That's his name in the mod btw) actually can use the rocket pod on top of his body? I think I haven't seen him using the pod in game before.
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I take it that all the animations in the models are just what the original game did? The reason I ask is that the punch animation looks... well, not very punch-like. The arms are just kind of thrusting forward in a fairly ineffectual-looking closed-fist push of some sort.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Enjay wrote:I take it that all the animations in the models are just what the original game did? The reason I ask is that the punch animation looks... well, not very punch-like. The arms are just kind of thrusting forward in a fairly ineffectual-looking closed-fist push of some sort.
Fists weapon are new model and animation I made for Zrift. They are not available in original Chasm
Yes, they look.....stiff... I'm working on a new, improved, more fluid animations with 8 different punch animations
It will be added into next release

New animation WIP:

WIP Animations
(Gif recorder skipped some frames while I was recording the screen, don't worry animations are fluid)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Looks much better but I think it could be improved further if the hand wasn't quite so "horizontal" during the punch. People tend to punch with the thumb more upwards than in your animation (maybe the hand turned to about 45 degrees?). Punching with the back of the hand uppermost and almost completely flatly horizontal looks unnatural. The angle of the hands are more like what they should be during the punch in your idling frames. During the punch the hands may rotate to be more horizontal but your animation has the player turn his hands first and then thrust forward. Perhaps even the Doom punch sprites could serve as a useful reference for this.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Enjay wrote:Looks much better but I think it could be improved further if the hand wasn't quite so "horizontal" during the punch. People tend to punch with the thumb more upwards than in your animation (maybe the hand turned to about 45 degrees?). Punching with the back of the hand uppermost and almost completely flatly horizontal looks unnatural. The angle of the hands are more like what they should be during the punch in your idling frames. During the punch the hands may rotate to be more horizontal but your animation has the player turn his hands first and then thrust forward. Perhaps even the Doom punch sprites could serve as a useful reference for this.

I know but the main problem is that hand model is hollow and missing polygons from the bottom & part of the side of the hand.
(I re-used hand model from the chasm shotgun weapon) If i do that kind of punch animation you will able to see missing polygons.
This is the best i can do with the current mesh.

I have to recreate entire new hand to create proper animation.
I will probably do that at some point for (possible) HD pack update
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ah, that makes sense. Oh well, given the limitations of the model, it's definitely much better than it was.

[edit] just had a look at the model, there really is very little on the underside right enough. :lol:

Image [/edit ]
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

Enjay wrote:Ah, that makes sense. Oh well, given the limitations of the model, it's definitely much better than it was.

[edit] just had a look at the model, there really is very little on the underside right enough. :lol:

Image [/edit ]
Yea..Lol....I know This was a common modeling practice back in the day to reduce polygon count,and improve performance
I will definitely have to create new Chasm-like hands from scratch at some point ,
Original chasm hand mesh (same as that pre-Alpha dino) is just horrible, LOL :lol:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Punching in the game looks kinda like soft and cuddly imo :P At least you're about to replace the animation into new one. And btw, i'd like to see the bullet casing effect in this mod if you know what i mean!
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

OH NO! Timestrikers are invading Chex!!! :lol:
Tribal

Post by Tribal »

Hi, i'm new here and i need some advices =D

I'm a Chasm lover and i want to play this mod, but i need some maps that match with the enemies themes, like medieval/gothic maps, or viking/nordic/snow mountain maps, or egyptian maps. And since i'm new to the Doom scene, i'm asking for sugestions of what maps (or map-packs) to play. If there is any map with aztec/mayan/atlantean theme i would like to play them too (yep, i love these old mysterious temples/churches) =D

And one more thing... i also would like to ask for sugestions about maps with close combat gameplay. I know Doom maps are more like "huge maps with hordes of enemies", but i'm more of a Quake1 player and i would like to know if there is Doom maps with less enemies and more close combat (less "arena" and more "claustrophobic corridors") =D Of course, this time i'm not picking themes, it can be spaceships, military bases, hell, anything =D

Thank you =D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”