MeeD(WIP)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Lazor999

MeeD(WIP)

Post by Lazor999 »

=---------------------------=
Mod progress: Halted.
=---------------------------=
This is a mod where you, The Protagonist, are sucked into a game. You're in a simulator. It's called "Shitpost Simulator 1337". You try to get out. But will you?
This is a demo mod i've made, there's a few preview videos, and..
Well, it's supposed to be crappy. :3:
Any advice or whatever is allowed, even bad reviews, i'd love feedback. Just keep in mind it's a crappy wad.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1g3v6m74q ... lpha03.wad
I hope you have some fun!
Spoiler:
Changelog
Spoiler:
Credits:
MAP 05 song: VortexumGamer
Weapon Sprites: Wirelex.exe
Last edited by Lazor999 on Sat May 27, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
isaacpop23

Re: MeeD(WIP)

Post by isaacpop23 »

...The hell did I just play? It was certainly something else. Here, have a list of my thoughts.

- Relatively simple texture scheme, I'm assuming you're going for a specific feel to the level. A bit disconcerting, but nothing fatal.
- Oddly shaped rooms, though there seems to be no reason for it, and it feels off. Frankly boxy hallways would be more welcome.
- The overwhelming health and the fact that there is no cap for it is simply weird.

These weren't awful, certainly not something I'd go back to, but the following were the things that broke it:
-The weapons. This was the #1 problem. They are simply unusable, they have so much kickback that you can't properly do anything. Didn't help that they looked visually off as well. At one point I just gave myself all the weapons to see if there was a weapon without the kickback, but there wasn't, unless you count the ones that were untouched, it just got worse with more and more kickback.
-The monsters/allies. I could deal with the sped up monsters, but I simply skipped a level upon seeing the "face" monsters looking like they were created using jpg.pk3 as a reference. And the amount of allied marines given when they were there was simply ridiculous.

You obviously know how to use things like DECORATE and a Map Editor, but maybe try and make more conventional maps and getting good at that before trying more eccentric things? That way you'll have an idea of what (not) to do and create something more cohesive.
BlazelyDemon

Post by BlazelyDemon »

LIT TO THE EXTREME, dank/10 ign
Lazor999

Post by Lazor999 »

isaacpop23 wrote:...The hell did I just play? It was certainly something else. Here, have a list of my thoughts.

- Relatively simple texture scheme, I'm assuming you're going for a specific feel to the level. A bit disconcerting, but nothing fatal.
- Oddly shaped rooms, though there seems to be no reason for it, and it feels off. Frankly boxy hallways would be more welcome.
- The overwhelming health and the fact that there is no cap for it is simply weird.

These weren't awful, certainly not something I'd go back to, but the following were the things that broke it:
-The weapons. This was the #1 problem. They are simply unusable, they have so much kickback that you can't properly do anything. Didn't help that they looked visually off as well. At one point I just gave myself all the weapons to see if there was a weapon without the kickback, but there wasn't, unless you count the ones that were untouched, it just got worse with more and more kickback.
-The monsters/allies. I could deal with the sped up monsters, but I simply skipped a level upon seeing the "face" monsters looking like they were created using jpg.pk3 as a reference. And the amount of allied marines given when they were there was simply ridiculous.

You obviously know how to use things like DECORATE and a Map Editor, but maybe try and make more conventional maps and getting good at that before trying more eccentric things? That way you'll have an idea of what (not) to do and create something more cohesive.
Thanks for the feedback, realising stuff after seeing what you've read, i'll tone down the kickback by a ton, thought it was funny. The textures are still being worked on myself, i'll try to fix that in the next few days. It wasn't that hard to take a few doom textures and repaint them, as seen in the mod. I was honestly too lazy to properly texture, but i actually will now. My friends recommended me a ton of stuff and i followed up, adding new stuff myself. Thanks for your comments.
The monsters in map03 were indeed crappy and i'll find a way to retexture those. There is a healthcap of 10K, but i'll tone that down too, then.
I was too impatient to simply take my tame to put a few good maps together, so i started doing something stupid. And i did. I'll look into what you've said more tomorrow and fix whatever.

EDIT: Some rooms were made to be really off, in the way of design. Sometimes i just added a few spikes to make it look funny or odd. That was really the point.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

BlazelyDemon wrote:LIT TO THE EXTREME, dank/10 ign
Can you shrink your image, please? This is too large.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Lazor999 wrote: I'll look into what you've said more tomorrow and fix whatever.
Some rooms were made to be really off, in the way of design. Sometimes i just added a few spikes to make it look funny or odd. That was really the point.
I'll gladly make more points to the fix to try and help you out, always glad to help out others when possible. And I had a vague idea the spiky rooms were an aesthetic thing as you say, but the sheer extent of it made me think there was more to it.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

This feels like The New Adventure except... I dunno, it has none of the charm. I assume you wanted to make a jokewad but I don't particularly find it funny or engaging to play.

Also, cheating in your showcase videos isn't a really good idea. :y
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Lazor999 wrote:It's called "Shitpost Simulator 1337".
Damn, that's ancient.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”