[Abandoning]Vanilla as Fuck:Final edit

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Rustygold

Re: Vanilla as Fuck!

Post by Rustygold »

After playing this mod with various wads I have some bug reports and some recommendations for some of the weapons and monsters. Some of this I assume was already talked about but It doesn't hurt to mention It again.
Bugs: #1 When I die and resurrect myself the weapons I have all get centred on the cross hair.
#2 Hell Knights/barons melee attacks don't do damage for some reason.
#3 Baron of Hells have red blood.
#4 Some types of decoration "corpses" can block the player
#5 Spider mastermind seems to freeze alot before attacking
#6 Hellknights have the same alert sounds as barons
Their may be others but those are the ones I remember the most.

---Balancing Issues----
Pistol- I really like It, Unlike the classic one this one can be useful throughout the game because of It's accuracy and I doesn't chew through ammo.
Fists- No complaints.
Chainsaw- Also No complaints.
Pump Shotgun- This one gave me some trouble, The spread Is WAY to much and It seems to pump slower than the original, It also made me rather use the pistol more. I'd decrease the spread so that I can at least two shot an Imp from across the gauntlet area on Doom2 map3.
SSG- No real complaint other than my usual beef with the single barrel shot thing that alot of modders like for some reason.
BetaSSG- I'm not sure how you could realistically keep this gun In the game and still make the normal SSG relevant. The only thing I would suggest Is to take one of these guns out of the game completely.
Rifle- I like the bayonet It's super cool, Other than that this guns Is completely useless compared to both the pistol and the chaingun. It does very little damage compared to the other two and has really violent recoil for some reason. I don't mind It being rare but a good way to balance It Is to have It be a burst gun only with the same damage as the pistol with very good accuracy and less kick-back. It's more than likely 5.56x45 not .308.
Chaingun- I actually have nothing bad to say It feels like a big mans man machinegun.
Rocket/Grenade launcher- No complaints just the grenade arch needs to be abit larger.
Plasmagun- No complaints.
BFG- I like the strife lighting effects the BFG gives off. No actual complaints.

That's all for the weapons and now for the monsters and items!
At first I kinda liked the item rotation for the sprites but when I really got Into some wads I notices some problems with how some of the weapons sprites hide away from the play when looking at them a certain angle.
-No problems with the power ups- I really like the potable shield though It'd be cool to add some more inventory items like that. Oh the nightvision goggles powerup does not work for some reason.
1.Some of the things I found about the monsters: Zombies drop pistols Instead of mags and changing the simple drop of 5rds to 10rds changes the game alot more than you would think, plus most wads have alot of zombiemen so the constant weapon pickupsound can get annoying. I went Into the files and changed the script so that they would drop "clip" Instead of the pistol and that fixed It.
2. Revenants should have some kinda projectile attack similar to their heat seeking rockets because without that they are pretty harmless on most wads that feature them on cliffs and stuff.
3. Hellknights would be better off not having that special attack so It can make the barons look tougher.
4. The cyberdemons fireballs should do splash damage and they should get a health boost considering that they use slower weaker rockets now.
Well that's all I had to say. :blergh:
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

JoeyTD wrote:
ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:How about alpha weapons in near future versions,
Just saying as a suggestion idea
Honesty I had the same idea too but I ended up dropping it due to not understanding some of the alpha and beta gun's purposes.

During the first alpha builds of doom:evil unleashed they had the "pipe" rifle as the starter weapon but during the beta builds they switched it over to the more AR looking rifle, So those two were easy to figured what purpose they had. Thorough the other rifles I still have no idea what purpose they had in the game.

We all know what purpose the shotgun and chainsaw had.
As far as I know there were three rifles.

The first was black, had wooden furniture, and fitted a double-bladed bayonet. This was the earliest (v0.3/0.4) rifle. If it ever made it into the game it'd be great to see it as a semi automatic or even bolt-action sniper rifle of sorts, as it certainly fits the description of a hunting or marksman's rifle.

The second was the well-known wood-and-metal furniture, modern-looking rifle which could also fit the bayonet. This was present in alpha v0.5. This is present in the game already as the rifle.

The third and final was a big, chunky metal only rifle that looked like a Mark II version of the v0.5 rifle. This was apparently the chaingun equivalent in the Alpha, and can be considered to be some kind of assault rifle or even light machine gun (though I'd honestly bet on the first).

Obviously the shotgun and chainsaw were identifiable in those versions. I don't believe the rocket launcher, plasma rifle, or BFG-9000 were available in Doom alphas prior to the press release beta. If you wanted to make "alpha" versions of those, doing something like what Doom Delta has done would work out.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Rustygold wrote: SSG- No real complaint other than my usual beef with the single barrel shot thing that alot of modders like for some reason.
The reason is: THAT'S how they shoot, usually :|

Also, link is dead, Joey.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

GAA1992 wrote:Also, link is dead, Joey.
I have let him know about the link;
JoeyTD on Twitter wrote:dropdox cleaned my shit out. wait about a few days and I'll get a update one out.
Rustygold

Post by Rustygold »

GAA1992 wrote:
Rustygold wrote: SSG- No real complaint other than my usual beef with the single barrel shot thing that alot of modders like for some reason.
The reason is: THAT'S how they shoot, usually :|

Also, link is dead, Joey.
True but Doom was never about realism. The SSG was made the way It was for a reason, Medium badguys and clumps of Imp's/zombies.
Last edited by Rustygold on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Firebrand »

I really like the work that you are doing with this :), it's simple and adds interesting stuff to the classic gameplay, nice!

Personally, I've never been a fan of weapon recoil when firing them, could you make this an optional feature?

I agree with some of the people that mentioned that some of the weapon animations need to be improved a bit, I'm sure you will continue your great work, I really enjoyed playing with this mod ;).
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Also other minor complaint: The way the gun stops where it is during its bob animation to shoot is annoying as fuck. If it just snapped to the center the way regular GZDoom guns do, it'd look a lot nicer.
JoeyTD

Post by JoeyTD »

The link works now, guys.

sorry for making you guys wait so long but I've got held up on patching up the weapons.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I think you have the chaingun spin down animation on backwards. Also, the gun not stopping at center is not caused by bobbing but the script that was implemented to make weapons lag behind as you turn your view and allow you to see the lower parts of the weapons as you look down. Also, the chainsaw lacks its bottom part when you look down allowing you to see past the sprite.
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

the rifle, the mp40, the ssg and the kick are cut off too.
JoeyTD

Post by JoeyTD »

here's a little videos showing off some new things.

NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

Can you please upload these amazing sprites of items as individual mod?
JoeyTD

Post by JoeyTD »

NotSoHazy wrote:Can you please upload these amazing sprites of items as individual mod?
you mean the items, power ups, and weapons?
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

JoeyTD wrote:
NotSoHazy wrote:Can you please upload these amazing sprites of items as individual mod?
you mean the items, power ups, and weapons?
Yes
max_405

Post by max_405 »

hmmm, i should elaaborate in my point, i think a reload animation like on dk3d for the pistol whould do a lot more than only make it look cool, but also i whould make it more unreliable compared to other weapos by making not being able to shoot perpetually until you run out of ammo.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”