Dark Prophecy - new screens and info

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Dark Prophecy - playable demo download(firstPost)

Post by ramon.dexter »

Vostyok wrote:The game didn't like jumping into random other maps. Seems like it couldn't recognise the stats scripts if you did that, and melee weapons/ spells didn't really work.
Some sprites really seem out of place - like the Daggerfall spell hands mixed with Hexen Cleric and Mage together? Ok.
Text was kinda hard to read on higher resolutions, but that seems true with all mods. Meh. The Stat generator text could hang around longer, for instance.
Killing civilians didn't seem to annoy anyone. Haha that was kinda fun though. Stab stab stabby stab....
I like the weapons selection. Maybe have some kind of junked together rifle, as a stop-gap between the swords and plasma weapons.
Four crossbows seems to be a little excessive. Maybe differing ammo types for one weapon?
Is that disciple on the teleport pad support to thwack me once before I get a chance to teleport?

That's what I noticed so far. Will try and give a proper play at some point.
Vostyok wrote:
Vostyok wrote:The game didn't like jumping into random other maps. Seems like it couldn't recognise the stats scripts if you did that, and melee weapons/ spells didn't really work.
Yep, correct. Stats script are directly tied to melee & magical weapons damage calculation. The stats scripts sre criectly in the map's script, so it cannot be used with other maps. Maybe I will create a standalone version, but It's not a priority right now.
Vostyok wrote:Some sprites really seem out of place - like the Daggerfall spell hands mixed with Hexen Cleric and Mage together? Ok.
I can consider the daggerfall hand s[rites as a palceholder. Or, counterwise, I'm thinking about replacing the hexen hand sprites alltogether with daggerfall ones. The spellcasting animations seems nice to me :)
But I also like the hexen hand sprites. But I suck in spriting work (large scale, like the hands)...
Vostyok wrote:Text was kinda hard to read on higher resolutions, but that seems true with all mods. Meh. The Stat generator text could hang around longer, for instance.
Well, my display is only 1366x768, so I have difficulties with testing higher resolutions.
Vostyok wrote:Killing civilians didn't seem to annoy anyone. Haha that was kinda fun though. Stab stab stabby stab....
"To annoy anyone" means to create a ACS system to guard player's actions. Well, I'm thinking about something like that...but I have to completely write it from nothing, so it is long time job. Also, create some guard sprites. And decorate stuff for it. Or completely in Zscript...learn zscript :)

Vostyok wrote:I like the weapons selection. Maybe have some kind of junked together rifle, as a stop-gap between the swords and plasma weapons.
Four crossbows seems to be a little excessive. Maybe differing ammo types for one weapon?
The strife-Xbow has two types of arrows - main fire is electric arrow, alt-fire is poison arrow (stats and functionality taken from strife). But yeah, one Xbow with different types of arrows, that would be OK. So...zscipt comes to question :)

And that disciple on the teleport pad is fully functional enemy (not dormant), but is blocked by linedefs. The imp is the same. While the place is arcane laboratory, the mages are conducting some research on them. Just wait, I will add some dialogue to explain everything.
ramon.dexter

Re: Dark Prophecy - playable demo download(firstPost)

Post by ramon.dexter »

Weeellll, I think I have prepared a sort of attack detection for the cities with guards included. So no fighting in towns! :)
ramon.dexter

Dark Prophecy - player sprite

Post by ramon.dexter »

Spend a weekend drawing new player sprite...well, I think It's good enough 8-)

As I think about it, that's my first sprite sheet, yay! :D Need to finish the pain and death states (hallooo, would anyone help me?), but I'm on good path :)

credits:
Raven software (Hexen mage sprite)
Myself
bethseda softwork's morrowind as inspiration

(This sprite will be used with little modifications also for npc's)

It's free to use, but I would like to not see it anywhere before I release this. It's Dark Prophecy exclusive, sort of.
Mere_Duke

Re: Dark Prophecy - NEW player sprite!!

Post by Mere_Duke »

The village music is from The Inquisitor 3. Seems that this mod is close to the Inquisitor's style, so I like it and will be watching as the progress goes. Keep up the good work!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Not exactly. Originally, this music was in Diablo 1. And I§m using it only as a placeholder - doom music doesn't fit the theme at all, so I used this. I like the guitar theme :wub:
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Haha I recognised that music. Spent a good few hours on that game, although the online mode was suitably brutal and cruel.

You know, if you make all projectile weapons give an A_light state, you can have a seperate animation for melee attacks. It's something to think about.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

You mean, for the player sprite? Yeah, that would be better. I have some idea...the hexen cleric has nice mace...yeah...but it also means new 24 frames :?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Sometimes it's the extra touches that make the mod. It's up to you if it is worth the effort.
Like I said, something to think about :)
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, I have learned some basics of frankenspriting, so it is not a hard work. I will think about it. Maybe I will need some help with scripting.
ramon.dexter

Dark Prophecy - pics update

Post by ramon.dexter »

It's been a while since last update, so here is something new.

I'm slowly closing to completion of map02, that will be also a demo map. Four quests are planned, one is already scripted, three are waiting. I have to write down dialogues for the merchants in the city, common people (dialogues will be random for commoncers with some uniques).
I yet have to create a attack-detection system to use for the guards in the city. Maybe you can help me.

So, I need attack detection system. There are some ways how to do that:

1) Strife system - only one shot triggers the alert and all guards start to chase player.

2) My own system - ACS detection of pushing buttons + counting...there are levels of alert - 10 means "you have not to attack in town", 15 means the same and 20 triggers guards. But it is not connected to attacking other actors - it's just button push detection with simple counter (note: downcounter is also included, something like 'guards are short of mind'). So that means player is not allowed to even use attack inside town.

3) something other - direct detection wheter player hits other actor. I don't know how to do that...

What should be best? Tell me.
Also, I'm optimizing some pickup items (I have some nice powerups :) )

Sorry, pics are big...I'm lazy to scale them down... :)
Spoiler:
ramon.dexter

Dark Prophecy - need your opinion

Post by ramon.dexter »

I'm slowly closing to completion of map02, that will be also a demo map. Four quests are planned, one is already scripted, three are waiting. I have to write down dialogues for the merchants in the city, common people (dialogues will be random for commoncers with some uniques).
I yet have to create a attack-detection system to use for the guards in the city. Maybe you can help me.

So, I need attack detection system. There are some ways how to do that:

1) Strife system - only one shot triggers the alert and all guards start to chase player.

2) My own system - ACS detection of pushing buttons + counting...there are levels of alert - 10 means "you have not to attack in town", 15 means the same and 20 triggers guards. But it is not connected to attacking other actors - it's just button push detection with simple counter (note: downcounter is also included, something like 'guards are short of mind'). So that means player is not allowed to even use attack inside town.

3) something other - direct detection wheter player hits other actor. I don't know how to do that...

What should be best? Tell me.
ramon.dexter

Re: Dark Prophecy - need your opinion (last post)

Post by ramon.dexter »

No replies? :cry:
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

ramon.dexter wrote:No replies? :cry:
Sorry bud, I would help if I knew how. Would probably be easier with strife style a_look2 or turretlook, since gunshots or directed attacks will immediatly trigger a violent response to that player (scripted sequences could cause issues in coop play)
At the very most, maybe a script in the pain or death state that removes the friendly tag for all town folk.
Be prepared that this will make the town a lost cause for players, if you plan on revisiting.

May be better to post your question in the "how do i do this" thread....
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

:wub: :cheers: :D And WOW!
ramon.dexter

Re: Dark Prophecy - another question

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hi all, I have another question for you to answer. Please, don't take it as complicated, I just need to know, what would be more fun to you.

This time, regarding powerups. What would be more fun?

1) Classic heretic/hexen/strife powerup behaviour - can be picked up into inventory. Once activated, lasts until depleted. Various time durations for various powerups.

2) advanced powerups - I have created a system, where player can activate and de-activate powerups. Activation of powerups uses batteries, which player has to find/buy (little bit exnpensive to balance gameplay).

3) Combination of the two above. Some powerups will be activable and deactivable, and some will have duration-depletion.

(No, the classic doom behaviour (activation on pickup) will not be implemented - only for ammo and health pickups.)

Please, I don't need any advice regarding the coding mechanics - I have already developed it. I just want to know what you find more interesting and fun to use. :)

Also, slowly closing to completion of MAP02, that I have decided to release as DEMO.
I have polished my inventory items. Thanks to newly found Perihelion sprite sheet containing some nice items, I have collected a nice selection of original item and armor icons.

Pretty nice sprite sheet:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”