METROID DOOM - The Galaxy is still doomed...

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
RockstarRaccoon

METROID DOOM - The Galaxy is still doomed...

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

So, for those of you who haven't been following, I've been in talks with Terminus to reboot his abandoned project, Metroid Dreadnought, which was a partial-conversion which added Metroid-Style gameplay to Doom. Mainly, the project takes inspiration from the highest rated title for the Gamecube, Metroid Prime, as well as Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. This mod manages to capture the feel of Metroid Prime surprisingly well, but is also missing a few key things.

While the original project was intended to simply add features, I plan to expand it to include its own maps and monsters. Right now, Samus is a bit too powerful for vanilla maps and enemies, and her full potential just isn't being met with this stuff. I'd like to take what was a simple Zandronum mod and turn it into something with fan-game potential, and I'd like to get other mappers to start using it.

I'm looking for some help from the community on this one, because there's alot that can be improved upon here, and only so much I'm willing and able to put into it. If anyone is able to give me something from the Planned Features list below, that'd be great. If anyone has the ability to get something in from the Wishlist, that'd be great too.

Completed Changes
AKA: Stuff that will be in the next update
Graphics
  • Higher Resolution Morph-Ball Rear-View - Raccoon
  • Higher Resolution HUD - Raccoon
Items
  • ? -
Enemies
  • ? -
Other Entities
  • ? -
Developer Tools
  • ? -
Mapping
  • Remote Safehouse - Raccoon (Based on a map by Terminus)
  • Ship Interior - Raccoon
  • Norion Lab - Raccoon (Half-complete, from a Terminus map)
Work in Progress
AKA: Stuff that's being worked on right now
  • Graphics
    • Doors - Raccoon
    Items
    • Varia Suit - Raccoon
    Enemies
    • Zombie Scientist - Raccoon (using the existing mod)
    • Zombie Trooper - Raccoon
    Other Entities
    • Destructible Boxes - some guy named "Kodi" on another thread
    Developer Tools
    • Special Mapping Guide - Raccoon
    • Pre-packaged Scripts - Raccoon
    Mapping
    • Moar Norion - Raccoon
    • Initial Outbreak Lab - Raccoon (Based on the opening map by Terminus)
    • Daiban - Raccoon
    Planned Additions
    AKA: things that someone should pick up and work on
    • Graphics
      • Arm Cannon - Currently just recolors of the same image... Why not incorporate the changes it goes through in Prime?
      Items
      • Darkvision Visor - Using the Night Vision Goggles
      Enemies
      • Metroids - We need these.
      • Demonic Metroids - We need these too.
      • Rippers - Also these, actually.
      • Zoomers - These would be a nice touch too.
      Other Entities
      • Special Doors - You know, like, beam doors, missile doors... Need these.
      Developer Tools
      • -
      Mapping
      • An Ice Area -
      • A Volcanic Area - Maybe Billium?
      • A Big Chozo Ruin - The kind of place you find something like a Varia suit?
      • A Pirate Base -
      • A Space-Station -
      Bugs
      • Morph Ball - Can't pick things up, and is a bit wonky in general... Really could use some fine-tuning.
      • Brutal Doom Compatibility - As of now, when Brutal Doom is applied, Samus is constantly firing infinite rockets. No idea why. I like the Imp behavior in that mod though...
      Wishlist
      AKA: Things I want but don't think are worth pursuing.
      • Graphics
        • HD Sprites - For pretty much everything
        • MD2 / MD3 Models - For pretty much everything
        Items
        • Grapple Beam - I know this has been done
        • Scan Visor - I feel like this is possible, but with extensive modding
        Enemies
        • ? - Shriekbats
        • ? -
        Other Entities
        • ? -
        Developer Tools
        • -
Not Listed Here
Obviously, we could use some Music files to include into the core release, if anyone wants to give us some that they hold the rights to. Also, people who can refine the existing code would be useful.
Last edited by RockstarRaccoon on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: METROID DOOM - The Galaxy is still doomed...

Post by Kinsie »

THE RULES THREAD THAT YOU DIDN'T READ wrote:1) Before posting a new topic here, be sure you actually have a project in progress or release. For example, posting a new thread called "Mario TC" with the post "Hey i'm making a mario tc, more info soon!" isn't good enough. Be sure you've got plans for your project. Think about things like main features, help you could possibly want, suggestions you'd like. Or go take a few screenshots. People like screenshots. Just make sure you have a base for what you're going to be working on or no one is going to take interest. (Your title screen really doesn't count.)

2) Just to clarify from the above rule: you need to post something from your project! If a project thread is posted without screenshots, we'll give you 24 hours to get them added, or else your project thread is going to get locked. Not everybody wants to download a large-ish WAD file and puzzle over what exactly is changed, so it helps to show people what it looks like without making them read a wall of text or download a file and be surprised. If the mod has already been released in the thread's first post, screenshots are merely suggested, not required. We can be more lenient for mods where a screenshot does not convey what the mod actually does, i.e. for music and sound patches or mutators.
AdmiralAjax

Post by AdmiralAjax »

Out of all the things in the list, Brutal Doom Compatibility is the absolutely LEAST needed and I don't know why you added it. Also to prevent this from being deleted, I assume you're only start on this so you should probably show the progress you have on the new sprites.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

RockstarRaccoon, do you have anything to show of your project (preferably something YOU made)?
RockstarRaccoon

Kinsie wrote:
THE RULES THREAD THAT YOU DIDN'T READ wrote:you need to post something from your project!
Doh! I forgot to post a link! I'll try and get that for you as soon as I get back to the computer...
RockstarRaccoon

AdmiralAjax wrote:Out of all the things in the list, Brutal Doom Compatibility is the absolutely LEAST needed and I don't know why you added it.
Look at the reason I put that: I was looking to see how much better the Imps, Revenants, and Icon of Sin that that mod has worked with the new features. When I tried it, the missiles fired repeatedly. I want to know why, because it could be a problem later.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:I'm looking for some help from the community on this one.
You know, you're asking for a lot more than some help.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Slax wrote:
Yeah if I might quote a section from the full Forum Rules:
When asking for help or requesting things for your project, please keep in mind that your project depends mainly on YOU. At least try to learn how to do what it is you need help with - there are a lot of tutorials and documentation online, including at the ZDoom Wiki. Asking for help is generally considered as the last resort. Our community is not large enough for projects to be headed up by a "project leader" that does nothing but dish out orders.
RockstarRaccoon

Slax wrote:
...And? I've been spending hours of time with GIMP, Doom Builder, and Slade trying to get new scripts, textures, and maps for this project. Sure, I'd rather the work be split up enough that I'm not doing most of it, but I'd hardly say I'm just looking for other people to do what I want...

Something else that's getting a bit odd... I feel like there were several people in Terminus's thread who were gung-ho about this, but the only people I'm hearing from here are people who want to find lame reasons to have a problem with it.

Yeah, as Kinsie pointed out, I forgot to post a link when I first posted the thread, and I'm working to fix that by the time I go to bed. It's pretty common netiquette, however, that you shouldn't just go into other people's threads just to tell them you don't like what they're working on. Constructive criticism is one thing, but this is just random complaining. How about you all just go work on your own projects instead of complaining about mine? That would be more productive for all of us, as I know I have better things to do with my time than respond to this, and I'm sure you could get alot more done than finding things to complain about.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I haven't seen anybody flat-out saying they didn't like the project, though, aside from the one person who said Brutal Doom compatibility seemed wrong for it. No, the rest of the criticism here is that this thread just plain isn't following the Project Posting Guidelines. If I might quote a certain Doomworld tag:
before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

From this last post he did, seems he felt into the typical agressive-defense newbie modders do when creating a topic for a project they have an idea but actually not even a screenshot.

Dude, we're not complaining, we are just saying to you come with the BASE of your project to show into the thread, because of nice ideas the world is full of it, saying you are working on it is good, but show what you are working is always better so other people here will not get the false hope of "this guy needs help or slaves to do the job for him?"
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

From what I've heard; it sounds like you don't even have permission to do this.

Maybe you should give a bit more into the line of credibility before you steal; and even then.

You don't have any images. You have no development to show us. Are you sure you're working on something? YOUR work? What have you contributed, or attempted to contribute?

I don't know. This seems very familiar.

Maybe you ARE capable. But you haven't shown it yet.

While "Idea Guys" are undervalued and do have a bit of a bad rap; it seems you're just not even lifting a finger and expecting everyone to do it for you. So you're not giving the rest of us "idea guys" a good reputation; there are some of us genuinely willing to put in the work if we have help. Like I've been working on my map for one of Term's projects; but ultimately haven't been doing too well for it and hence why I wished to collaborate with something; because making a good, quality map on my own is something I do not believe I have the capability for, but still chipped away and asked for help with/at it until I got something to show.

Also you're trying to go for BROPOLE DOLP compatibility, and looks like you're trying to shoehorn in some unnecessary MLP bullshit, so my thoughts are a resounding

SOUND OF VOMITING
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

Okay, regardless of how you otherwise feel about this, he very clearly has obtained Terminus' permission, which should be clear if you looked at the original thread. You seem awfully quick to make accusations of stealing.

Also:
and looks like you're trying to shoehorn in some unnecessary MLP bullshit
...What are you even referring to, here?
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

Atendega wrote:Okay, regardless of how you otherwise feel about this, he very clearly has obtained Terminus' permission
You have absolute proof of this? Because it sounds more like he was to be using a bit of code and a considerable level of misunderstanding took place.

Term could always cut my mongoloid head off at the pass, but something tells me he wouldn't lift a finger in this instance.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I have this from Terminus himself:
TerminusEst13 via undisclosed means wrote:On my phone so I can't post, but in case anyone makes a stink about this I officially made Dreadnought open-source on Github for anyone to modify as they see fit, with the only requirement being to make sure the credits are straight.
So the problem here is not permission or credit, as that's made abundantly clear in the OP, but rather that it's just not following the Project Posting Guidelines because there's not really any tangible evidence that RockstarRaccoon has done work on the project himself.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”