Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: [1.0] Doom 64: Retribution - Launch Trailer!

Postby sherberttcat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Aw yiss! I am one happy gamer!
sherberttcat

Re: [v1.0] Doom 64: Retribution - Launch Trailer!

Postby Wiw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Uh... there seems to be something wrong with my HUD...

http://i.imgur.com/POPtkyC.png

I'm not sure what I did, but nothing I've tried makes it fit properly.

EDIT: Never mind, updating to a newer version seems to have fixed it. Loving it so far, the eerie atmosphere really sells it for me!
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large images should be either thumbnailed or URL-linked instead of embedded.
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nevander » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:13 pm

What version were you on that had the messed up HUD? And which version did you change to? This will be good info to go into the readme for others who may have the same problem.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby Wiw » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Honestly I don't remember what version I had, all I know is that it was a development build. But I changed to 2.5pre-259-g4b127c7.
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nevander » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Well the HUD should work fine even in 1.8.6 so something else must have been afoot. I'd say the best thing to always do for something not working right is to start over with a fresh INI. I even keep a backup with pre-configured settings to where everything is how I like it, but with no mods have being loaded yet so I always have a "default" config state to return to.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby Atendega » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:09 am

Nevander (@ Doomworld) wrote:Some lifts may have been adjusted to make them less annoying. Personally I can't stand slow lifts that wait for a solid few seconds before reversing. I had kept the switch speeds fast for both classic and modern because the normal switch speeds just feel so clunky these days. It worked back when everything else was at the same speed/FPS/ticrate but with rendering interpolation and whatever else, the slow switch speeds feels like an unnecessary slowdown to the gameplay.
So we still don't have a faithful D64 port that doesn't have weird, totally subjective changes, huh? If anything, personal preferences like that should be non-default, toggleable options.
Atendega

Postby zrrion the insect » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:18 am

You could totally edit the mod yourself you know.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby Atendega » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:41 am

zrrion the insect wrote:You could totally edit the mod yourself you know.
Yes, obviously that is always an option, but it's pretty clearly not relevant to the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is that a TC whose main selling point is accuracy and faithfulness shouldn't have random changes made to suit the author's tastes. At that point, you should probably stop calling it "accurate" and "faithful".
Atendega

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:00 am

Is the lift switch speed really that important to a mod's authenticity to you? :?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Atendega » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:14 am

It a mod specifically touts its accuracy, yes. I can totally understand fixing obvious bugs from the original. But making totally subjective changes to the way the game plays, even though it could be accurately recreated, is not what I expect from a TC that specifically sells itself based on its faithfulness to the source material.

Don't get me wrong, this is far closer than we've ever been to a perfect recreation of Doom 64 in (G/Q)ZDoom, and it's super fun to play. But it makes the conscious choice not to be as accurate as it could be, based on the whims of its creator.
Atendega

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:35 pm

I am still not sure how altering the lifts' switch speed can have a significant impact on the gameplay.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby wildweasel » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:56 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I am still not sure how altering the lifts' switch speed can have a significant impact on the gameplay.

Personally, I'd argue that the subjectivity of a change as minor as the speed of a single lift is itself subjective.

In other words, o p i n i o n s (shrug)
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Raziel236 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:20 pm

I never got to play D64, but always wanted to, the atmosphere and lighting and overall general style just seemed so great, so I'm happy. : )
So playing this I'm realising quite a few things about D64 -
-it's easier than doom2
-lost souls are a bitch
-ammo is super resplendant
-traps
-switches and mad nonsensical! things happening in the environment
-the pistol is as useless as ever
-the hud is hard to see
-explosive barells are even more useless than in doom2.

I'm quite enjoying it! The shotgun just is beast.
Raziel236
We're rolling on..

Postby Nevander » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Atendega wrote:So we still don't have a faithful D64 port that doesn't have weird, totally subjective changes, huh? If anything, personal preferences like that should be non-default, toggleable options.

Atendega wrote:Yes, obviously that is always an option, but it's pretty clearly not relevant to the point I was trying to make. What I'm saying is that a TC whose main selling point is accuracy and faithfulness shouldn't have random changes made to suit the author's tastes. At that point, you should probably stop calling it "accurate" and "faithful".

Even with the changes that are present, it's more faithful and accurate than any other attempt. I don't know why you keep giving me shit for this. Don't like it, go play EX.

Atendega wrote:It a mod specifically touts its accuracy, yes. I can totally understand fixing obvious bugs from the original. But making totally subjective changes to the way the game plays, even though it could be accurately recreated, is not what I expect from a TC that specifically sells itself based on its faithfulness to the source material.

Don't get me wrong, this is far closer than we've ever been to a perfect recreation of Doom 64 in (G/Q)ZDoom, and it's super fun to play. But it makes the conscious choice not to be as accurate as it could be, based on the whims of its creator.

The things you keep insisting on calling subjective changes are things I changed because it felt as if it needed to be changed to be a smoother and fresh experience. Going back and playing EX after playing my version feels so clunky and slow. Do you really expect me to make everything 100% identical to EX, even down to the specific timings and tic delays for every single lift in every single map? That is a pointless exercise because then I'd just have basically made EX in GZDoom. Some changes are necessary to give the TC it's own identity. Lastly like I said above even with these changes (and you said this yourself) it's the closest attempt so far of any accurate recreation of the original.

So with that I say again don't like it, go play EX.
Nevander
Self-Banned User

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:45 pm

To bring some positivity back to the thread, I recently decided to try Hectic on Doomslayer. It took me a few tries, especially in the Blue Key room, but damn did I feel proud once I prevailed over those Barons of Hell - and that is coming from someone who rarely get excited when playing Doom mapsets anymore.

Oh man, I wish I could have recorded the high-pitched noise my voice produced once I cleared that fucking level... :lol:
JohnnyTheWolf

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects